Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: Best Overall Subwoofer Brand
JL Audio
46.96%
Resonant Engineering
12.15%
MTX (New Line 7500, 8500, 9500)
5.52%
Diamond Audio
4.97%
Crossfire
2.21%
Kicker
19.34%
Memphis
8.84%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Please post xB DB ratings from SPL competition here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Please post xB DB ratings from SPL competition here!

Sup peeps,
Here is the deal. I talked to my local CarToys and they were telling me they could squeeze in 4 12" in the cargo area of my xB. Well I just looked on Cardomain and saw a dude that was claining 159.8 DB with one 12......?

WTF?

159.8 will hurt you right?

If one 12" will put down those kind of #'s I'm not sure if I would want more than two. Diamond audio is a decent brand but I am looking at some bigger and better brands.
(Here is the link to the car I am talking about http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/292294 )

Is it the "Boxiness" of the Scion that makes the SPL so intense or what?

If anyone has a db rating on their vehicle from a competition or whatever please post it here!!!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It seems kinda high to me with that set up.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seriously seems unlikely to me as well. Especially because he is just running a 500watt amp to that speaker......
I don't know the RMS of the sub but it just seems kind of....10 or 15db off.
In my opinion....but I'm no pro
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I've hit 142.1 db, with some bass tones. i've got two tens, so I was pretty happy. But really, my sound quality stuff is where it's at. Who cares about 160 db when you can't tell what is playing?

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 08-28-2004, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1 diamond sub and a 500 watt amp? i really don't think he's in the high 150's unless it was measured INSIDE the port
Old 08-28-2004, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

no way did 1 12 push 159 in a scion.

i would suggest getting 1 or 2 really beefy subs and giving them some good clean power. That way you can maintain SQ and give the subs the space they need. I've got 1 IDMAX and it satisfies me.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah, that number is pretty much impossible. Unless it was some sort of Outlaw SPL thing where measurements can be taken anywhere in the vehicle. But an actual DB Drag Racing number that high on the dash is impossible with that setup. I competed in DB Drag Racing for many years and it takes a healthy amount of equipment to get in that 160db range.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I did some research and looked into some DB Drag Racing. I saw world records and what not. In one of the lowest classes this car had 2 Digital Design 12's and 3000watts of amp power and he hit like 153ish.
Someone post a link or something.
So 158db for one 12" with only a 500watt Rockford Fosgate amp seems to be a slight exaggeration or possibly a misprint....
I don't think the diamond subs have all that impressive specs as well.....
Nothing special....
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

I wonder wwhat my DB is? I should get it tested. anyone want to make a guess?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member

actually that DB is probally right. it is DB OUTLAW meaning you can put the mic anywhere includign inside the port. now that box is a slot ported bass box made just for bass so his numbers are highly likely legit. I have the exact same box with one memphis SHP 15 with 1000d watts pulled 149 on the floor in meca. now dont forget DB drag and MECA and ISACA are diff he is doign outlaw which means you can put themic anywhere.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Go with memphis for Sound Quality, Quality product, and High DB
Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

are you serious with memphis as a sq sub? SPL subs definetly, but I don't think it's a nice sounding sq sub...

kicker, memphis, Rockford, and mtx, are more SPL subs then anything... they can handle more power

ID subs and JLs are a perfect medium leaning more towards sq

I would pick or Focals Dynaudio's or diamonds more for sq... note: SQ subs/speakers are not for everyone, they can reproduce EXCACTLY what was recorded on the source... !

I have yet to hear crossfire subs , and resonant engineering subs perform thus I can't judge them, if anyone wants to send me some/let me listen to a vehiclewith the stuff to test it out I will be happy to give my rating on the equipment...
Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u want to hit some big numbers then go with memphis MOJO 15s...the sonz a _____s will thump someting feirce!

as for the number mentioned..they gotta be fake or from the port...legal there is no way it can be that

p.s. if u can afford it then get 2 SoloX 18s...i saw a mini van with 4! it was tight
Old 08-31-2004, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear the Memphis LVS subs are pretty insane. They once retailed for $1,300.
The 38X Focal Utopia Sub retailed for like over $1,400 I think but I don't think it has the SPL I am looking for.
I've heard good things about the Solo X but for some reason I lost my love for Kicker when they went Square.....(No to sure why)

I personally have been looking at the MTX 8500. They won me over when I went to a local Car Toys in Denton Tx and heard 2 MTX 7500 out perform 2 JL W3's....(Mostly SPL but the MTX were as smooth as any sub I have heard) The only down side to them is that they bottom out at 36Hz.....I think I need something that gets low. Lil John Low...haha. Before any hardcore JL studs try to hunt me down the JL were in a sealed enclosure and the MTX were ported. They told me the JL could hit lower Freq as well and would sound just as good in a ported enclosure.....

I'm thinking about getting 2 Phoenix Elite 12's (Just for something different because everyone and their mother doesn't have these)

Or maybe 2 Eclipse Titanimum 15's to match my amps....

I honestly think it's crazy how many great performing subs there are out there.....it's all about reputation and a good track record in my opinion though....

But back to the topic at hand where are them damn SPL ratings man!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hhahahaha theres no way he hit that with that box and the way its facings.

Yes the xBs are awsome for spl just like astro vans. But I build spl cars all the time and first off his sub should be facing towards the rear of the vehicle. Since its facing up hes losing db just becuase sounds waves are traveling down as well as up then forward.

Its hard to believe that that would hit that even if its a Diamond TDX, but to run it off a rockfard come on now. Those amps are rated less then what they say theres no possible way.

If you want to get up in the 150 you need some kinda wall or a enclosed trunk. Since all the meters where changed and alot harder to hit on the highest that has happened this year on the wall vehicles has been about 163. (not counting the xtreme spl vehicles vans with 56 subs concrete...)

The truck I built has won every competition this year in Meca and holds the record for this year with a 156.4 I think. Hes not even hitting 160s

I dont believe it till I meter it myself. Not trying to hate on him but I just know what it takes and Im sure he doesnt even have dynamat in there. Plus for a TDX that port is way to small.

xBs are excelent SPL cars, You dont need to spend alot of money to get good sound. Just remember to face your subs towards the back of the car.

Got any more car audio questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks James
Go-Ho Auto Audio
Old 08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang....
I guess me attempting to hit 160db with 4 12's was really wishful thinking. I'm not trying to break any records or compete. I just want an awesome stereo. To tell you the truth I probably won't even crank the bass all that much.....but the few times that some little punk in a honda tries to over power me with his 2 10's it's on....haha

I'm going to do things righ with my xB though:
Double layer Dynamat (Or some other dampening material)
200 amp alternator upgrade
Optima Yellow top
20 Farad Soundstream Capacitor

Sound like over kill with the electrical system?
I'd rather not chance that my amps don't get the power they deserve....
My amplifiers alone can pull up to 300amps from the charging system (MAX rating).

It might take me a couple of months to get everything but I won't forget about this thread. I will post my DB rating MECA or ISACA style....None of that OUTLAW bs......

So where is everyone with the DB ratings......I don't care for OUTLAW because that really doesn't say much about the Scion as much as it does the box and sub. I want to lknow how loud it gets in the xB...
Old 08-31-2004, 03:15 PM
xBMNx

i'm hoping just to break 140 with the tuning level as low as i have it (26hz) see sig for system specs

Old 08-31-2004, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Have 2 12" Fogate T1's in a custom box. It's louder than the 4 jl12w3's I had in there before. Hitting around 147db. I have had bad luck with fosgate in the past. So I was very surprised with them. Very nice just having two subs hit the same as four.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 PM

Stereo's are 90% install too, don't forget that. That's why crappy subs can hit high numbers, ther person using them knew what they were doing.

www.caraudioforum.com do some research.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the new triple stack LVS from memphis is an insane woofer!

i saw caddilac escalade (spelling?) with 2 lvs in them he was selling the other 2 he didnt use. it was a sick install to

if your looking for power then get that JBL amp....that ***** was tested and hit something like 8000 watts on 15 volts...(im pretty sure that was RMS too?)

Quick Reply: Please post xB DB ratings from SPL competition here!