Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: Best Overall Subwoofer Brand
JL Audio
46.96%
Resonant Engineering
12.15%
MTX (New Line 7500, 8500, 9500)
5.52%
Diamond Audio
4.97%
Crossfire
2.21%
Kicker
19.34%
Memphis
8.84%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Please post xB DB ratings from SPL competition here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow one 10" W7 can give you the sickness?
I need to hurry up any make a decision on some subs and just live with it.....
Just when I think I want something I hear other peoples opinions and it makes me all undecisive.....
Plus I'm torn on if I want to be able to move my box out of the way to get to my spare tire........Aghhh.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by popalock85
Plus I'm torn on if I want to be able to move my box out of the way to get to my spare tire........Aghhh.

Just be like me and be like what spare tire? I threw it out when I decided on my setup. Its ok though because on long trips I always roll out with my SE team, and somebody always has a spare tire with them just in case.

Victor
Old 10-26-2004, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah......I barely know another person with a scion so that's not for me....
Old 10-29-2004, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

YO.....
Check out this site for all of the Bass fanatics....
It's got some orgasmic excursion videos.
I think the W7 is one of the cleaner performers.
The IDMAX rubber surround is straight flexing something horrible......

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/beta_videos.html
Old 10-30-2004, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at the usaci event on the 24th i did a 141.9. the mic was placed on the floor on the passenger side where a kick panel would be.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a few years back when i had my 85 jeep cj7 i had 6 12" jbl gt's in a homemade box with 1 pioneer premier 750 amp

at carlisle they had a db drag n i hit 143.1

not too bad for some crazy cheap speakers.. i only bought 6 cause they were soooo damn inexpensive.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey that web site is really good to c excellent excursion,

JLW7 line of speakers truly have some of the best excursion around. Most of those speakers are just MADE to play really loud and really hard, but where your money comes into play with the JLW7 line is that its PRIMARLY an SQ speakers with lots and lots of thump. SQ is JL bigggest thing, almost anyone can make a speaker go really loud and fast, deep excursions but how does it sound? Speakers are geared toward the individuals listening. How does it sound to you.

If you just want all out loud there are a myriad of speakers to choose from. ei. sound excursion website. If you want Sound Quality SQ, those options get pretty narrow and slim.

I have heard alot of SPL speakers and they hit DB levels hard, but a good SQ subwoofer really never cant be forgotten. The bass is how its suppose to sound clean, crisp, clear low, deep unforgetable tones.....Bass drops that span an array of sound levels sounding clear but deep and rhythmic. Bass that make you want to listen more. Not just loud deep crackly noises thats incoherent to the ear. Most folks dont acheive a high level of sound quality, Most dont want to and some never heard how a really good system is suppose to sound. So its up to the user what he or she is going for SQ, SPL, or a marriage of two.

Rockdeezo
Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rockadizzel fo shizzel........
On that website the Sub that looks like it has the longest throw is the 12A prototype....man that motha looks like it's got a 4" peak to peak.....
But I can understand what you are saying....why even waste your time and money on something that doesn't sound good enough for everyday listening.
There are a few speakers out there with true SQL capabilities...
Old 11-03-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
JL audio is the best sub out for quality and kicker would be right behind it... the rest are immitations of these and eclipse...
Hmmm... thats idiotic. Eclipse doesn't even make their subs, TC Sounds does... TC Sounds makes some of the best subs on earth... along with Destijl Engineering (oh yea, the parent company of Resonant Engineering) and I hate to tell you, they don't sell their best technologies as mass marketed rebadges

JL is good stuff, yes. Its the best out of the commericalized stuff, but once again I'll say it can't hold a candle to the small name companies, RE, ED, Adire, IA, SI etc....
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And to the man who says nothing will beat up on a W7... you've obviously never witnessed a real subwoofer in action. There is plenty of subwoofers on this earth that are better than a W7 overall.

But, in the long run though... remember... it's all in the install
Old 11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What ____es me off about JL is the fact that gotta be different with their ohm ratings.....
3ohm for the W7.....
No options or anything. I would love if the W7 came in a dual 2 or dual 4 ohm. Or even a single 2 or 4ohm. My amp can't carry a 1.5 ohm load which sux for me I guess......( I know the 13W7 is a dual 3ohm so lets rule that out)

Do you think (2) 12" W7's with 750watts RMS going to each sub would get louder and cleaner than (1) 13W7 with 1500watts RMS? Given both options are in ported applications and built to their spec enclosure dimensions?

I'm going for the two 12's....unless someone can convence me otherwise....
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey yall i faced my subs a different way huge difference in sound hopefully soon i will be able to get mic'd and see if i can add to the 144.6.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dayum,
That looks brutal....
Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do you think (2) 12" W7's with 750watts RMS going to each sub would get louder and cleaner than (1) 13W7 with 1500watts RMS? Given both options are in ported applications and built to their spec enclosure dimensions?
the (2) 12W7's would definitely hit harder than the (1) 13W7 (which is basically JL's 15" sub). (2) x 12W7 =24" of cone space , (1) 13W7 = 13" inch of cone space .....the (2) 12W7 is clearly the winner.

if you par (2)12W7 together, make sure you have the right amps with it (2) JL 1000/1 or Zapco, consider changing your altenator, a must is a very good cap, also a yellow top battery and a Good set of ear plugs! I promise you with SQ and SPL very few people will be able to come close, especially in SPL levels in your CLASS!! 2000w Rms, you will be over 155 in a little ole' xb with its space.

you will be vicious! :twisted:

That is what I hope to do, one day....but for now that Alpine HU coupled with that JL Audio is sill insane, 140 dbs out a 10" sub w/ 500 watts Rms aint bad at all. BUT close to 2000w Rms with (2) 12W7's in a xb?? is totally insane! there will be very very few people who can touch you in that class seriously.

And to the man who says nothing will beat up on a W7... you've obviously never witnessed a real subwoofer in action. There is plenty of subwoofers on this earth that are better than a W7 overall.
what i meant by that is 'there are speakers that can compare to the W7' like the Alpine type X for example. but in a fight sometimes one guy can when but the other guy still didnt get beatup , he might have lost the fight but he didnt get 'beat up'. So what I mean bye 'beating up on it' just doesnt happen in my opinion if everything else is considered equally, especially the money. If you think one speaker sounds better that is for your ear, but as far as db levels or SPL maybe you can get speakers that hits more db's but nothin that is goin to flat out 'beat up on it' like out right make it look like its not in the same class. if you compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, I dont c anything 'commercially' for the MONEY that is goin to give you a better SQ and SPL, if givin all installs, HU, etc. are the SAME quality.

So are there better speakers out there? of course ther are! but everything considered EQUAL, HU, Install, Batt., Alt., $$MONEY$$, etc. I would personally go with the JL Audio sub and amp set ups

Keep in mind i would recommend the amp be paired with a good sub just like, an aged cheese is paired with a good wine. It makes all the difference to get an amp that is made for the sub rather than to try and mix and match good pieces just becuase the have good names. even Kobe and Shaq could not mesh good together. So get pieces that are designed to push the sub to its limits without exploiting its weakness. for example 13W7 with a 1000/1 JL amp perfect as perfct can get combo!

JL set the bench mark for quality in a short time when alot of companies where firmly established. Alot of their slash series amps still remain virtually the same since inception. Just like Mercedes Benz is the bench mark for quality but there are better performing & quality cars out there, of coarse. Yes there are better flat out subs and amps than JL! but JL is still the Mercedes Benz of the industry, surely its not the Hyndia or the Ferrari! :o lol

Rockdeezo
Old 11-05-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dayum,
That looks brutal....
Good luck.
thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoo-hoo.....
I just got my business license....Gonna start selling this stuff....

Sorry, I had to vent a little.....definetly on my way to some bump in el-trunk!
Shouldn't be long....I'm hoping to hit 150 on the new termlab with 2 W7.....wishful thinking I know but Aim High.....haha
Old 11-17-2004, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdaniels
Originally Posted by tckurt
JL audio is the best sub out for quality and kicker would be right behind it... the rest are immitations of these and eclipse...
Hmmm... thats idiotic. Eclipse doesn't even make their subs, TC Sounds does... TC Sounds makes some of the best subs on earth... along with Destijl Engineering (oh yea, the parent company of Resonant Engineering) and I hate to tell you, they don't sell their best technologies as mass marketed rebadges

JL is good stuff, yes. Its the best out of the commericalized stuff, but once again I'll say it can't hold a candle to the small name companies, RE, ED, Adire, IA, SI etc....
You've got issues. I'm a car audio fanatic so I know about the brands you keep spewing out. JL is commercialized and has a lot of hype. They deserve it because they have built quality products and have yet to be sold to the masses. You think the brands you quoted wouldn't love to have the reputation JL does? Wouldn't those brands kill to to be able to sell their stuff at the same price and make mula? Why would someone buy them then? JL has an EXCELLENT reputation and they can charge that price. You get what you pay for.

You say JL can't hold a candle to those brands? In what? SQ? SPL? SQL? Go to the competiton lanes at finals then come back and report.

Or are you hating because you can't afford a W7?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What ____es me off about JL is the fact that gotta be different with their ohm ratings.....
3ohm for the W7.....
No options or anything. I would love if the W7 came in a dual 2 or dual 4 ohm. Or even a single 2 or 4ohm. My amp can't carry a 1.5 ohm load which sux for me I guess......( I know the 13W7 is a dual 3ohm so lets rule that out)

I'm going for the two 12's....unless someone can convence me otherwise....
Most people who buy the W7 have high quality amps or can afford them that wil do 3 or 1.5 ohms mono. My Zapco 6.0 was rated for 2 ohms mono but ran 2 W7s at 1.5 ohms mono great. Not saying that all $$$ amps will do well at lower ohms, but some of the better ones will perform however you need them to.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people who buy the W7 have high quality amps or can afford them that wil do 3 or 1.5 ohms mono. My Zapco 6.0 was rated for 2 ohms mono but ran 2 W7s at 1.5 ohms mono great. Not saying that all $$$ amps will do well at lower ohms, but some of the better ones will perform however you need them to.
True....why would anyone buy top of the line speakers and not give them a great power source....
My Eclipse DA7232 is rated for 2ohms and I am planning on getting 2 12" W7 and running them 3ohms to my amp. So they will be getting around 750watts RMS from my amps. I understand products can be pushed past their limits but the Ratings set on amps and speakers are there for a reason. To protect the products. I know Zapco is one of the top dogs when it comes to amps and I have no doubt in any of their equipment. But I think your taking a chance putting a larger load than entended.....that's just my opinion. I know there is some highly under rated equipment out there and people like to push and push but for longetivity sake and the keep everything smooth RMS and Ratings are there to get the optimum performance without compromise.....
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True....why would anyone buy top of the line speakers and not give them a great power source....
My Eclipse DA7232 is rated for 2ohms and I am planning on getting 2 12" W7 and running them 3ohms to my amp. So they will be getting around 750watts RMS from my amps. I understand products can be pushed past their limits but the Ratings set on amps and speakers are there for a reason. To protect the products. I know Zapco is one of the top dogs when it comes to amps and I have no doubt in any of their equipment. But I think your taking a chance putting a larger load than entended.....that's just my opinion. I know there is some highly under rated equipment out there and people like to push and push but for longetivity sake and the keep everything smooth RMS and Ratings are there to get the optimum performance without compromise.....
Actually I called up Zapco and Bob over there gave me the go ahead. Never overheated or anything on me once. Stuck it in my trunk in a not too well ventilated spot on my box facing another zapco stuck on my rear seat.

Perhaps you should call up Eclipse and see what they think. But 750 watts should be enough as stated above, although I pushed close to 900 watts to each of my 10's.

Quick Reply: Please post xB DB ratings from SPL competition here!