Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

power? [Do Grounding Kits Add Any?]

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Default power? [Do Grounding Kits Add Any?]

do grounding kits work and how do they work would you guys recomend i buy one first for my car ive been thinking about it but i wasnt really sure if it was worth it and if it is do you guys think the ebay ones will work good also i think i saw an hks one....THANKS
Old 01-06-2004, 06:27 PM

grounding kits mostly make the idle better. Not too much of a HP gain but there have been some notices. the buy is up to you.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

search for happies on this board and he has an affordable ground wire kit that is worth it.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: power?

Originally Posted by diamond31
do grounding kits work and how do they work would you guys recomend i buy one first for my car ive been thinking about it but i wasnt really sure if it was worth it and if it is do you guys think the ebay ones will work good also i think i saw an hks one....THANKS
IMO, if grounding kits worked they would be standard equipment.

I've measured the resistance between the points that would be connected by the kit and the resistance was too low to measure with a high quality Fluke ohmmeter. If the resistance is already this low, the grounding kit won't lower it any further.

George
Old 01-10-2004, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

From my understanding......grounding kits add no power........but help keep power consistent........by providing more consistant sparks at your plugs and so forth. However......I have a feeling the consistancy of your power will depend more on climactic conditions.......temp, humidity, air density, oxygen concentration, etc. But.....people who have installed grounding kits seem to have good things to say about them. It's not like their a horribly expensive add-on.......so I say......worth giving it a shot I guess.

KiL
Old 01-10-2004, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
I've measured the resistance between the points that would be connected by the kit and the resistance was too low to measure with a high quality Fluke ohmmeter. If the resistance is already this low, the grounding kit won't lower it any further.

George
Resistances can change, you measured with a 1.5V or 3V signal (look in the manual), most cars are 12V, thus that is not a accurate reading, try measuring the ohms of the OEM wiring vs the "Hyper Ground" kits wiring, I bet you'll see a big difference, also disconnect the wires before testing them.

I'm not flamin you, just adding my info.

I personally think that they are a good Idea, as long as they are of good quality (ie braided solid copper wiring, think sheathing, soldered on connectors), esp. if you have a high output alternator, battery, and/or Stereo System.

Just my .98 > $1.

Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

esp. if you have a high output alternator
:?: Is one available for our scions? I've been holding back on installing a bunch of stuff that I have for my box cause I'm afraid the alternator wont hang. Our stock ones are 60W right? :?:
Old 01-10-2004, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno, I was speaking in general.

It'd be nice if one was, try Stinger.

EDIT: here's a better link, Stinger Alternators
Old 01-10-2004, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the SEARCH button broken? just want to know because there are 3 other topics on this forum that I just read explaining the same thing that this guy asked. common sense , check the forum before you ask a question. JUST my opinion though i don't run this forum.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member

i sell ground wire kits for 30.00 Shipped. =)

pm me for details.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_SpaRky
Originally Posted by George

George
Resistances can change, you measured with a 1.5V or 3V signal (look in the manual), most cars are 12V, thus that is not a accurate reading, try measuring the ohms of the OEM wiring vs the "Hyper Ground" kits wiring, I bet you'll see a big difference, also disconnect the wires before testing them.

I'm not flamin you, just adding my info.
A bit late with a response, but what the heck...

Resistance isn't dependent upon voltage, period. There are only two things that can affect the resistance of a ground wire:

1. Temperature. The range in the engine compartment might make a 1% difference in the resistance of copper. The wire might get hot due to current, but for it to get hot enough to significantly change its resistance would melt the insulation.

2. Frequency. Since we're talking about DC here, there is no frequency to affect the resistance.

So I stand by my measurements. The resistance between the common "ground points" is already nearly zero. Adding another wire won't change it.

George
Old 05-20-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ground kits work in terms of giving you power...... if there done right .......check out Hypergrounds wires....they post power increases...so does import tuner magazine when they do upgrades on cars...also Sport compact did an article on them and dyno tested them on a RX-7 and they gained some serious power from them
Old 05-21-2004, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

check out www.groundfusion.com

read up on their FAQs

handful of scion owners have bought from him including myself

check out the sponsored sales
Old 05-21-2004, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member