Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Quick Cup Holder Illumination question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Quick Cup Holder Illumination question

I need to know what voltage the wires are that you connect the LEDs to, to hook up the LEDs to put in the cup holder. I gotta know so i buy the right resistors to do it. thanks. i couldn't find the voltage in any of the DIY threads on the cup holder illumination.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quick Cup Holder Illumination question

Originally Posted by Pl23ST0N
I need to know what voltage the wires are that you connect the LEDs to, to hook up the LEDs to put in the cup holder. I gotta know so i buy the right resistors to do it. thanks. i couldn't find the voltage in any of the DIY threads on the cup holder illumination.
Um, At this point, you're concerning me. I suggest you get them prefabricated or you just might has a SED on your hands (smoke emitting diode).

You need to know what voltage your LED's are (tolorance as well), how many LED"s are you using, how are you connecting them and since I presume you are placing them in the car.....+12v to +14.5 volt is your source voltage because that is your alt and battery system, like most cars.

But your question lends me to believe you may not be quite sure what you are doing. Good luck
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my brother does this for a living and he's doing it for me. He just wanted to know the exact specs needed. thanks for your help. any other input you believe i should let him know about doing it?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r+illumination
Old 05-29-2005, 04:17 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quick Cup Holder Illumination question

Originally Posted by ScionDad
SED on your hands (smoke emitting diode)
how much does these cost i think that would be cool

sorry not my board to be posting on :D
Old 05-29-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you just buying LED's or automotive LED's like the ones in auto zone? the ones in autozone are "plug and play" and are already set for 12 volts. keep us updated.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Autozone has these 7 color 10mm ones, or you could
just buy the 194 bulb (which is a 7 color LED) grind the round
top flat and mount that in the cup holder.

I was thinking about that myself, but I'm working on some
other ideas I've not seen anyone do.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:46 PM
MTB
5 Year Member

I'm pl23st0ns brother. 10mm, thats frick'n huge for an led! I usually use 3mm! I'm not gonna be buying LEDs or anything from autozone or pepboys or anything - I have tons of leds (I get them for about 10 cents each lol and theyre good - the multi color led thing in cup holder sounds sweet.. put the wiring would be crazy.. does it have 7 anodes?)) and already have tons of extra CCFLs (kind of 12 inch mini neons if you didnt know).
I just needed to know the source voltage - i already know all of my LED specs. they run best at about 3.4 v.
well anyway.. on to the cupholders.. he wants them so they're not really noticeable, so not sticking out much, and doesnt want them shining up any other part of the car.. there are a few things that go into this - ive heard of some people wiring their cupholder leds to some wire that controlls the dashboard LEDs, the dimmer switch, and if I did that and put the LEDS on the bottom of the cupholder, at night the leds would be glowing up on the roof.. so unless i wire it to the cig lighter fuse (i heard you can use add-a-fuses or something from autozone?), where do you suggest I put the leds?? and how many? i'd think one on the bottom would be enough to make a water bottle glow, but not sure fromt he sides..

edit: oh yea and might as well post these few questions here too instead of making a new thread of something..

he also wants me to replace some led that is on the very bottom part of the dashboard, that shines down onto a little hole where you can just put a few things (liek your cellphone or something) I guess. I'm pretty sure it's orange because m ost of the other lights in the TC are orange, and since im doing blue in his tC, was wondering what the voltage on that line was (that goes to that led) because orange is usually a lower voltage than blue.. and last thing! huge post.. umm the other thing he wanted me to do was vent leds. I've looked into a tutorial for that, but am wondering how should I point the leds? he doesn't want light shining out of the vents, but the whole inside of the vents glowing, should i just skoot them as far back as i could, put them at the bottom and point them at a 45 degree angle out the vent? i'm really not sure lol
thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
MTB
5 Year Member

bump
Old 06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

http://www.oznium.com/led

34 cents for blue 5mm, very bright, very wide angle, shave the top of the LED for a better effect, 5 cents for the proper resistor
Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I lit up mine and your could put two in the cupholders for less than 14 bucks if you buy them from best buy. Here is the link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624581405 i guess the only problem is that they only have two colors but they come ready... just wire them up.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:47 PM
MTB
5 Year Member

I said I already had LEDs.. more than enough
nice pics paintball.. looks beutiful
at like what angle/how did you put your vent leds in? (like are they pointing straight up or what)
Old 06-06-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya they point up...cuz if they were pointing out it would blind me...real easy to put in i already posted a how to on it so if you want that link just ask.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 AM
MTB
5 Year Member

Sure.. I saw the thread before, one that has a tutorial, but I bookmarked the 'slideshow' that was linked there.. but that is deleted now :'( alright. thanks