Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Rain Leak (persistent)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rain Leak (persistent)

My 2006 Scion xA leaks every time it rains. Does anyone else have the following problem or a solution to it? Toyota/Scion of Berkeley, CA and the factory field technician certainly don't! This is the 7th time I've taken it in since March 2006, 6 weeks after purchasing the car.

PROBLEM:
Water enters the driver's side door and dribbles onto the floor when it rains. The water accumulates on the outside of the door sill and makes its way into the car. Water entry is documented by placing newspaper on the floor, flush against the base of the door sill.

SOLUTIONS? NONE SO FAR.
At first Toyota/Scion denied there was a problem. It leaked for me but not for them when they did the hose test. Maddening & frustrating.
Recently they finally determined that water enters when the car is on a slight slope towards the street gutter. The slope is only 5 degrees, following the camber of the street.
The door seals have been replaced twice. The car still leaks.
A vapor barrier was installed in the door. The car still leaks.

MY CONCLULSION: STRUCTURAL DEFECT/DESIGN FLAW
This car is a LEMON & Toyota/Scion are incapable of fixing the problem.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? IS THERE A SOLUTION?
I've reached the end of my patience with these bozos.

Thanks for listening, Tinkuy
Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, this is identical to my wife's XA leak problem. My dealer did findand fix it (I wouldn't take it back until they did-- they did try the "we can't get it to leak" thing but I was persistent). There is a rubber seal that is on the bottom of the door that only goes up halfway up the sides (from the bottom). It should match up exactly with a rubber seal that is attached to the doorframe that only comes halfway down. If they don't match up or if the bottom of the door seal is bunged up and not installed correctly (sort of rolled up), it allows water running down the channel between the door and frame to be diverted into the passenger compartment rather than directed out the door, when the car is parked on an angle. The car leaked much worse when parked on an angle. They had to pull the door panel off and carefully reinstall that rubber seal on the door. You might want to look at the rubber seal that is on the frame also, to make sure it is not our of location.
Hope that helps,
Robb
Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for description & suggestion, Robb. I'll pass it on to the "geniuses" at my local Scion. Last time they were talking about the top portion of the door seal, right where it angles down towards the front of the car. There's a nubby dam/block at that point & they thought that was causing the water buildup problem.

I just know I'm not the only Scion owner with a water leakage problem. I'll bet a lot of people park indoors or on completely level surfaces.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, Tinkuy, if your dealer has trouble getting it fixed, they can call my dealer's service dept. to ask what exactly they did to fix it. It is McDonough Toyota in Staunton, VA, ph. 540-886-6201
Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any one who has an xb knows how odd the drainage system is and how much water that beast can hold. no leaks yet but i can see how this could be a problem. Im kind worried bout all the ice in thier this winter...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks again, Robb. I stopped by the dealer today & for some reason they have the passenger side seat & flooring ripped out. (The leak enters on the driver's side.) I gave them your suggestions & they didn't pay any attention. What do I know?! They're the experts ... ... NOT!

Tinkuy
Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well we are glad we got the extended warranty now. Wifes 06 XA started leaking on the passenger side, onto the sill and seeps in, thanks guys