Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

remote start alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default remote start alarm...

how much did you guys get it for and do you have to have a spare key for remote start? im looking at the viper 791vx or the clifford rsx 3.5. any suggestions and information would be appreciated

thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my alarm w/remote start for $380 installed, i hear it's a decent price.

i got this one http://www.asianwolf.com/FM2009V2.html

i don't think you have to have a spare key to get them. i got 3 keys with my xB (is that common?), so i have one with each alarm/remote/pager and one that i carry with the scion keyless entry fob for valet parking. i'm paranoid, i carry 2 keys everywhere i go...heh.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the viper 771xv for 350 installed. It is also a remote start/keyless entry. The only problem I have had with it is that I dropped my keys and the remote cracked and now every time it falls I have to snap it back together. I won't get a new one for sometime because it cost $130 for the remote. So just be careful.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

mines is homeland security (wierd huh) two way with remote starter. 180 with installation cuz i knew the guy ... and he included lil' blue l.e.d's by the window pillars that flash on and off on each window.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

$220 tax and all for keyless, alarm, remote start ioncluding the price of the alarm which is Viper. Best Buy
Old 05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default CompuSTAR

I got a CompuSTAR alarm and remote start for $550 installed. The cool thing about it is it's upgradable. You can control the windows, sunroof, trunk, and/or radio from the remote......all for an extra charge of course. It has a 3/4 mile range that pages you when someone is breaking into your car.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: remote start alarm...

Originally Posted by tC875
how much did you guys get it for and do you have to have a spare key for remote start? im looking at the viper 791vx or the clifford rsx 3.5. any suggestions and information would be appreciated

thanks in advance
yep, the remote start key requires a signal to be sent from the transponder chip that is located in all of our key, including the valet key. most people on the forums will suggest to use the valet key, since they want to keep the keys with the keyless entry intact. instead, i used one of those keys and kept the valet key as my main key. its less bulky and the keys on the keyless entry dont work anyway with the viper system.

also, my shop couldn't take out the chip since it was molded into the key, and couldn't separate the key part of the key and the plastic mold. so i asked taht they grind down the key so that people wont find it inside my car and steal my car that way. either way, ur looking at losing a key if you really want to be safe. just fyi, and talk it over with your isntall shop.

also, the 791xv has a valet take-over mode which allows you to switch your car back onto the "remote start" feature, and keep the car running while you take the key out and lock your car. purpose? to run into an ATM or dunkin donuts and not turn off your car. this is good in winters and summer where you want to keep the car on. also on those short trips <10 miles where you should try to not crank over your engine again. it saves on the battery juice.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all of the info.

one more question.

what is the difference between the viper 791xv and the 790xv, besides the fact that one is older than the other. feature-wise, what does the 791 have that the 790 doesnt.

thanks in advance, again
Old 05-15-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone have the window automation 530t (up-down-vent) installed with their remote start alarm?

for tc owners, does your windows still automatically roll down with one touch with that module install or do they vent? mine doesnt, just wanted to know if that was common...
Old 05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tc875 - what setup did you get and how much did you pay? Im going in next week to have a Compustar installed in my tc and it is going to end up costing a bit more than I would have liked, but I figure its worth it to have the lifetime warranty and all that. Also I have a 5 speed and the Compustar is one of the few to work with manuals. I have lots of experience with installing stereo components and such, but never done a remote starter alarm and figured I should probably not attempt it myself... I think I will add the window module myslef because they will want like $100+ to add that feature...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VIP_tC
tc875 - what setup did you get and how much did you pay? Im going in next week to have a Compustar installed in my tc and it is going to end up costing a bit more than I would have liked, but I figure its worth it to have the lifetime warranty and all that. Also I have a 5 speed and the Compustar is one of the few to work with manuals. I have lots of experience with installing stereo components and such, but never done a remote starter alarm and figured I should probably not attempt it myself... I think I will add the window module myslef because they will want like $100+ to add that feature...
i traded some stuff in for a refurbished viper 790xv with a 479v remote (791).
it cost me a total of 140, 70 for the install and 70 for the window module. took the guy EIGHT hours!!! but i was patient. my windows dont roll down correctly though... so i have to come back there
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Mindcage133
$220 tax and all for keyless, alarm, remote start ioncluding the price of the alarm which is Viper. Best Buy
you are speaking of the Viper 160xvr that best buy carries. While this system does have a starter kill, it is not a normal alarm. It can be made to function like an alarm but it does not have a shock sensor....
Old 05-16-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Originally Posted by Mindcage133
you are speaking of the Viper 160xvr that best buy carries. While this system does have a starter kill, it is not a normal alarm. It can be made to function like an alarm but it does not have a shock sensor....
he might be talking about the viper 791xv remote start at the price of a bestbuy employee, 200 with tax and i think its like 50 for install. those are employee discount prices.

so any word on the window module. if there's anyone who knows about this information. PLEASE PM me!!