Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Remote Start Doesn't Work : Viper 560XV

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote Start Doesn't Work : Viper 560XV

This question is probably for those who have experience installing the Viper 560XV:

I had one installed recently, but since the starter on my xB is kinda weak, the remote start feature won't turn the engine over. It "works" in the sense that when I push the button twice, the car tries to start itself, but the engine doesn't turn over. It's as though it doesn't send the "start" signal for long enough (i.e. I have to hold the key to START for 3seconds to start the vehicle manually, but the remote start only sends a 2 sec signal).

My question is: what can I do? I called the installers and they said "it will eventually start"... but it doesn't. It tries 3 times and then stops. It RANDOMLY works, but I'd say less than 10%. Is there a setting that the installer can adjust that will configure the unit to send a longer ignition signal?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the problem, so that I can propose solutions when I go in to talk with the installer.

-moore
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has it ever remote started or did it just stop one day. If it has never remote started it may be more than the starter output lenght, could be somthing wrong with the install itself. But you can change the ouput of the starter to be longer to make it start. Any installer who has installed a viper remote start knows that, so make them change the output and see if that works . If not make them troubleshoot the problem till it works. 500+ remotestarts under my belt........
Old 02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like your alarm system should just hold the crank for longer. Check in your install manual to see if there are any relays to readjust the timer.

Your problem may be because it is winter. I have had the alarm system for two years. Crank up is find during the summer, but tends to require a longer time period during the winter. If the day is cold enough, I can't remote start my car.

-- gg
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

____: Yeah, that's basically my question. But I don't have an install manual, as it was installed by an "authorized installer." It seemed like there should be a setting for this though, so I thought maybe someone on here who had installed one would know.

And as far as winter goes, in SD it never really gets that cold. My car won't start in 60-70 degree weather... which I hope would be warm enough.. ha.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
Has it ever remote started or did it just stop one day. If it has never remote started it may be more than the starter output lenght, could be somthing wrong with the install itself. But you can change the ouput of the starter to be longer to make it start. Any installer who has installed a viper remote start knows that, so make them change the output and see if that works . If not make them troubleshoot the problem till it works. 500+ remotestarts under my belt........
NICE! This is what I was thinking.. but when I was in last... I mentioned that it wouldn't start, and the guy told me that "sometimes the engine is a little cold, so if it doesn't start the first time.. it will keep trying until it does." But it will give it 3 tries and then stop. It has worked before, and it does work SOMETIMES.... but basically, the only time it works is when the engine cranks over quick enough for it to start before the ignition signal stops. If they could lengthen the "crank signal" about a second it would be perfect.

-moore
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'll have to time by remote start crank for you. But I think the problem is with the cranking time. "Cold" weather here is about 40 degrees. At that temp, remote start doesn't work for me the first time.

I would talk to the installer again. There should/may be an option to extend the crank time. Remote, for me, has always started on the first try.

BTW, are you sure you're cranking it up right?! Mine is hold down for a second, release, push again. There's not an instant response. And I have turned off the car when I hold down for a second, release, push again (at this point, the alarm is processing the remote start), then another push for good measure (at which point, the car will shut itself off after an initial "crank-up").

-- gg
Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ____geek

BTW, are you sure you're cranking it up right?! Mine is hold down for a second, release, push again. There's not an instant response. And I have turned off the car when I hold down for a second, release, push again (at this point, the alarm is processing the remote start), then another push for good measure (at which point, the car will shut itself off after an initial "crank-up").

-- gg
This part, I'm sure of... because it ATTEMPTS to start. You hear the car try to turn over, it just doesn't. That's why I've narrowed down the "problem" to being a short crank time.... because it attempts to start the car every time, but only starts it when the crank time on the engine is low enough to be started by the signal.

I called the installer, he sounded confused (same as last time I brought this up)....aye. I might have to just take it somewhere else. Anyone know of a good place in San Diego? ha

-moore
Old 02-20-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try a circuit city, level with one of the installers about whats going on with it and tip him or her a few bucks to change the setting for you. Or be an a$$hole with the shop that put it in and make them fix it so it works. You paid for somthing it should work, right....
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know why your having that problem put as for the cold problem i have an audiovox remote start and alarm and mine starts up all of the time. last night it was 5 degrees out and i'm still using the stock battery.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ask the installers to hook up the tach sensing wire... it will work 99 percent of the time from then on...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to beleive that the installer did hook up the tach wire, especialy sense its in the diagnostics plug, but with out seeing the install i cant say for sure. But as i have stated before take it back and make them fix it, you paid them to do a job, they should atleast make sure it works and is done right. My customers have no problem coming back if there is somthing wrong or not working on an install, and neither should you. If your can understand directions well i can find the manual for you and email it to you or explain how to change the crank time if you would like. Let me know.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the installer either didnt install the tach wire, or u just need to increase the crank time on the remote starter... If you know where ur valet button is I can help u
Old 02-21-2006, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I certainly know where my valet button is... what can I do from there?

Also, regarding the tach wire. Proshop, you're sure it was hooked up? It sounds like if it was hooked up, my car would be starting though, right? Does the unit apply a crank signal until the tach signal reads a certain RPM? Or what...

-moore
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, now that this issue has started to really bother me... I finally did some serious research (found an installation manual online).

It looks like there's a Tach Learning Mode:

1. Start the Vehicle
2. HOLD the Valety Switch
3. LED will light constant.
4. Release the switch..

There's apparently, also a jumper setting to adjust the tach threshold. "Some newer vehicles use less than 12 volts in their ignition systems. The unit may have trouble learning the tach signal in these vehicles."

I went to go try it out, but it turns out my valet switch is broken (i.e. there's no switch, just the housing for it). WHAT THE HELL!? Ha... last time I ever go to this shop for car work.

-moore
Old 02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well moore it just gets better and better huh. you need that valet swich to do anything so you need to try and find one. As for the tach wire, i can't be certain its hooked up, but with it right in the diagnostics plug they would have been really stupid not to hook it up. Also with the tach wire the car wont even go into remotestart mode if the tach has not been learned, and for the threshold i left mine in the factory position so yours should be fine, once again all this is speculation since i cant see the install. Make them fix it or take it somwhere that will fix it for you. If you need more help let me know.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

As stated- no tach wire hooked up.

Crank time doesnt need to be used or adjusted because that is only applicable when in voltage sense mode. I would tell them to use an injector for the tach signal. On my car I have it hooked to the tach and it works fine but alot of the times DEI remote starts work better when sensing a signal from a fuel injector.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most installers will not hook up a tach wire as it takes too long for them to do.. you know the extra 20 minutes to find the wire and run the tach wire out of the interior.

Your problem is a common one, when it is cold the car takes longer to start.
Ok so up the crank time right?
Wrong.
If you up the crank time, when it warms up and you don't adjust it, it will over crank the starter and cause eventual burn out, which people will promptly proclaim "It was the installers fault!" and blame it on the installer, installation and parts.

And of couse you will try takin it to the dealer, at which point they go" hmmm donno whats wrong, goota replay the starter system." Right down to the fuse box. All to the tune of $1200,

Your valet switch is a little 1/4" push button. Most installers hide it to keep the customer from messing with the programing, and coming back to the shop to get it fixed. Because you know if you mess with the programing, then the warrenty for the installtion is void.

oh and don't take it to Circuit City. They will snuff you and turn you away. How do I know? Cause I work there. All these problems are ones that we have had customers come back to us about. Mind you these are for the PYTHON products. We stopped using Viper about 2 years ago, try Best Buy, or call DEI.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha dont take it to Circuit City, which circuit you work at Salsbury, not real fimilar with MD except the east coast side. I work at Circuit too. The sad part about not hooking up the tach wire in the xB is its right there no more than 6inches from were the alarm remotestart brain is, lazy bastards if you ask me.. You know if somone came to me with an xB i might give them a hook up on helping them out, but thats cause i own one, but if a usual customer tips or pays enough i might hook them up to... "Just what i needed" LoL, made ya laugh....
Old 03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im at 3627 Hanover/Arundel Mills -

Moore Just go to Radio Shack, get a push button switch, cut and splice it into the other switches harness and va-la your new programing button.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

0766 here Daytona Beach, stop by if you ever in town.