Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: How do you feel about remote start? Is it worth it?
YES. It's very practical, and I use it a lot.
80.00%
NOT REALLY. I only use it to make my friends jealous.
20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Remote Start -- Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote Start -- Is it worth it?

For those of you who have remote start .... do you ever use it? Other than to show off.

I was almost decided on the Viper 560XV but then realized I would probably never need the remote start feature. I live in San Diego where the defrost/heat/cool option isn't as necessary, and I can't see myself needing to have my car waiting for me 2 seconds before I walk up to it.

Is it useful in situations that I'm not thinking of? Or should I save a couple hundred and just get a security-only system.

Feel free to chime in anyone who has an opinion on this.

-moore
Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I use it when it's cold out like today, or to have my car running at shows so I don't have to leave my keys in it... it is useful if used tastefully, but I'm not one of those who use it to make other people jealous or to fool people waiting for a parking space when there is 2 feet.. ok well maybe I am.. but here in Ohio and back home in Chicago it is verry useful in the cold monts..
Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Viper 791xv alarm system, but I did not install the remote start even tho I bought the module.
The main reason is because installing remote start will make the car easier to steal. I live in San Francisco, so I do not really need it for now, I'm thinking of installing it when the car gets older.
Hope that helps
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the remote start is great i use it all the time atleast 3 times a day. how does it make your car easy to steal.? because you leave the key in the box? thats why you grind the key down.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, how is it easier to steal? I don't know a whole lot about Remote Start, after you hit the button and get in, do you still need to use a key? Or is the key not necessary.

The specific models I'm comparing are: Viper 560XV and the Viper 1000.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

exactly, you need the key, when you grind it down the key is destryoed and the alarm has a starter kill. if you want a car bad enough just get a tow truck and see ya.....
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you install the remote start, the immobilizer chip would be inside the car and that will defeat the purpose of having an engine immobilizer.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would still need a key after you install the remote start system.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's all? 3 Votes? C'mon people... ha.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

I voted no but I also like making everyone else jealous No, I had it in my last car and it was nice to have it in the winter when I parked my car outside. But I keep my TC in my garage there is no reason for me to have this.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in san antonio tx and remote start is wonderful
where my steering wheel was 160-180 degrees F
it is now comfortably cooler @ 100-120 degrees F

now that Fall is here i can warm up the car sooner
and not freeze my buns off

highly necessary!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have it and i love it . i use it when its hot so the ac will be on when i get in the car and when it cold so the car will be nice and toasty. as for harder to steal how is that? on most remote starters ive ever seen as soon as you touch the brake the car shuts off. also unless you start your car and deactive the alarm before you get to your car then the alarm is still on. please let me know though im not a big fan of my car being stolen.

mint
Old 10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have it and love it

Dont know what that guy is talking about being easier to steal..

When I remote start mine is rechecks the alarm and relocks the doors in case they are unlocked before starting my car.. It doesnt have an extra key in there and there is two sensors / ebrake and foot break. if the alarm sequence is broken by opening the door / breaking window the car automatically shuts off and it locks the engine down.. even if I left my door open as soon as you touch the brakes it would power down the car..

I had the Viper Orignally but now have the Audiovox and love it.. The Audiovox even has a temp guage that relays to the remote to tell me how hot or cold it is inside my car.. I love it
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the Audiovox remote start/alarm on my ranger and my saturn and used it alot. when we get in some of our new alarms I will put them on my xB and ranger.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when u live in the Chi, as ChicagosFinest and I do, and u don't have one your winter mornings suck. i leave the house and get in a toasty box and my windows are clear...it's just lovely.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The remote start defeats the purpose of the engine immobilizer. The xB does not that, so it wont apply to xB's.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all remote starters will have at least a brake shutdown wire. you have to put your foot on the brake sometime and that will turn off the remote starter. also you need the key so you can turn the steering wheel otherwise it will be locked in place. the only way to get around it is to tow it away.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member

The transponder system(chipped key) still works when installed correctly. If not your car won't start with the key because the reciever reads 2 keys and will shut down fuel system. The same will happen if there is no key present.

As for remote starts worth it ask the 4000+ customers that I have installed in the past 12 years.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a quick question regarding functionality of them. For the A/C and heat options, it doesn't interface with the A/C directly at all, right? Just whatever your A/C is set to when your car turns off, once it's back on it fires up. Or am I way off.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ricexizxgood
The remote start defeats the purpose of the engine immobilizer. The xB does not that, so it wont apply to xB's.
you have no idea of how a remote start is installed or functions do you?

An immobilizer is still in place if you have remote start installed. Most installs will use a DEI part called a 556U or similiar. What this is a small box that holds an extra key to your car. Inside the box the key is mounted inside of a "wand" that reads the chip signal and sends it to the key ring around the ign cylinder, allowing the car to start. The 556u is only activated by the status output wire on the remote start system which can only be activated by the remote start module.
As stated, a good installer will grind down the key so if the thief does access it, it will not be usable in the cylinder, at that point he would have to break the ign switch, pray he doesnt mess up the immobilizer ring and then try to start it. By that time I would hope the alarm would have attracted your attention and if the install was good, you wouldnt be able to access the key in the first place.

Dont speak to what you dont know about and give people a false idea. Too much of that goes on in these forums.

Quick Reply: Remote Start -- Is it worth it?