Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Remote Start xB Heater Wire - Viper 791

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default Remote Start xB Heater Wire - Viper 791

I have installed a Viper 791 alarm/remote start in my xB, everything works fine except that I can not find the correct wire for turning on the heater when the remote start is used. Following the install guide and the how to in the tech section I've connected the 12+ Acc wire to the Blue/Red wire in the column but that only turns the radio on, not too helpful on a cold morning.

Basically i'm looking for the wire assoc. with the ON position in the Ignition Switch, I have only found the ACC circuit.

I hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try looking here

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138456
Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member

I've looked at those drawings and they were helpful in the install but still can not figure out the problem with the climate control. I'll just have to take it to the shop that did my last alarms and let them take a look, its my first alarm install and this is only probelm, so it's not so bad.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Default remote start heater wire

I simply leave the fan on and the temp set where I want it. Start the car and fan is on and temp is set.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got my 791 but havent gotten the remote start hooked up yet.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the remote start will not adjust HVAC settings.

you leave it the way you want it to run when you remote start it.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, there is no heater wire, or stereo on off wire, you have to leave it set when you exit the car... also same goes for the defrosters. if you want them to run when you auto start, you have to turn them on manually when you exit the car so they will be on when you "auto start"
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

That is correct. there is no such a wire that will turn your heater on or cold ac. you would have to do it manually. I am car audio shop owner, an i specialize on Viper products.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member

I understand all of that. What I'm saying is even with the Heater set to an on position it does not come on with the remote start. Only when i get into the car and switch the key to the ON position does the heater then start to blow.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by blubox04
That is correct. there is no such a wire that will turn your heater on or cold ac. you would have to do it manually. I am car audio shop owner, an i specialize on Viper products.
I'm glad your not an installer. If you knew anything about these units, or how they work, or what happens when you dont hook it up right, you'd know he simply missed an ignition wire. I surely wouldnt want someone who didnt know what they were doing installing something in my car! Stick to selling stuff!

Acid:

It sounds like you missed the second ignition wire. Make sure the Pink/White wire off of the relay pack is hooked up to the Black/yellow wire. Or, if you have the pink or pink/white wire already hooked up to the Black/Yellow Hook either/or up to the Solid black wire.

Here is a quick guide for you:

Ignition Harness, off the small Relay pack:
Red/Red White/ small guage red : White/blue and/or White/red
Purple / Green : Black (looks like you already got this part hooked up)
Pink : Black (make sure you test this)
Pink/White : Black/Yellow
Orange : Blue/Red

Hope that helps, let me know!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by MuNkY
Acid:

It sounds like you missed the second ignition wire. Make sure the Pink/White wire off of the relay pack is hooked up to the Black/yellow wire. Or, if you have the pink or pink/white wire already hooked up to the Black/Yellow Hook either/or up to the Solid black wire.

Here is a quick guide for you:

Ignition Harness, off the small Relay pack:
Red/Red White/ small guage red : White/blue and/or White/red
Pink : Black (make sure you test this)
Pink/White : Black/Yellow
Orange : Blue/Red

Hope that helps, let me know!
after you better described your problem, this ^^^^^ is your answer.

there are two ingition wires, both need to be hooked up for things like the hvac system to be live while running.

ignore the rude comments above...everyone has to start somewhere.
i give you props for doing something yourself, and asking for help when you needed it.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member

First let me thank all of those that contributed (constructively) to this post.

After opening up the steering column and staring at all the wires for about 30 min. and then testing a couple of ideas I have finally fixed the remote start / heater issue.

From the relay:

Purple – Black (Starter Wire)
Green – Not Used Yet
Red 1 – White/Blue 12+
Red 2 – White/Red 12+
Pink – Black (ING1 Wire)
Pink/White – Not Used
Red/White – Not Used
Orange – Black/Yellow (Here’s the Answer)

When I tested the Pink/White wire from the relay the meter showed very little change in voltage. The Orange would go to 12+ this is the wire I needed. Now there is 2 different Black/Yellow wires in the column, one comes from in the dash goes thru a large plug and continues back into the dash. The other and one I used comes from the taped loom in the column and goes into the plug that plugs into the side of the ignition switch.

With this setup the alarm and keyless entry work perfectly, they also arm/dis-arm the factory scion security. With the remote start everything works as well, the blower motor for the climate control works, the tach and fuel gauge now work under remote start. The only thing that stopped working was the radio does not turn on with remote start, which is what I was looking for anyway. Everything is good now.

Thanks again. I’ll consider my first post a success.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't really think you want the radio to come on with a remote start...
if you did it this way, you would have to dis-arm the alarm every time you started it....otherwise the stereo would cause the shock sensor to trip the alarm.

remote starting with out the stereo coming on is a good thing for security reasons.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Once the Unit sees the car running, i believe it shuts the shock sensor off, and relies on the door trigger to set the alarm off. Its like this with most Auto-start/Alarms. Otherwise, some of the cars that shake a little bit when it starts up, or have loud exaust, would just set the alarm off every time you start it lol.

On another note, Acidgrafix, I would reccomend hooking up the Red/White wire that you didnt use. It's used for a 12v input for the brain, and it can get a little fidgety without all of the 12v inputs hooked up.

Also, The green wire you didnt use, is used to cut the starter wire in half so you have starter-kill and Anti-grind.

And just in case you didnt know:

Starter kill = When the alarm is going off, it disables the starter wire until its disarmed through the remote or valet button. so someone cant just break the window and start the car. Even if they had the key, it wouldnt start unless the alarm was disarmed.

Anti-Grind = When you have the car already remote-started and you get in the car, put the keys in the ignition, if you turn the key to the start position (engage the starter) it will grind the starter, this prevents it from doing that.

Also, another thing i noticed is that you actually hooked the Orange wire (which is an accessory wire) to the Ignition wire. Honestly im surprised the car starts with it hooked up this way. An ignition wire doesnt lose 12v during start, but an accessory wire actually drops 12v during start. Sometimes if the car doesnt see the ignition staying on, the car will not start. Just in case, i would reccomend hooking the pink/white to it, which is the second ignition wire off of the relay pack! The orange wire should actually go to the Blue/Red wire!

Hope this helps get everything working correctly / Safely! we definately dont want your car doing wierd things, sometimes the dealerships wont warranty stuff that someone installed themselves.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Acid, I just installed the same alarm and Im having the exact same problem you did. Im going to have to test the leads from the relay and see if I get the same results as you. Is everything still working ok for you?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member

Everything is working fine, once i disabled the Scion Security, the remote start would trigger the factory system.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread was super helpful im having the same problem and i will go test this right now. thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

figures after i take the darn thing out, i see this............ugh what ever, by the way its forsale, but it seems like nobody wants it
Old 08-31-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fixed the problem which was the black/yellow wire. thanks all