Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Removing silver interior peices

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Default Removing silver interior peices

I'll be getting the silver peices in my xB painted soon, but 1st i need to get them out. The ones I dont know how to get out are....

1. window control bezels

2. Silver ring around base of shifter

3. Two pieces on steering wheel

Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 AM
SL Member

window controls, get a screw driver and pop it off

silver rinigng - jst take off the whole waterfall and then once thats off push to the side and comes right off

steerring wheel thingy, disconnect battery negative and then theres screws to unscrew before u take them off. NOT disconnectng ur negative battery wire will result in airbag deploying or going off

Good luck
Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

were talking xB here, we on the same page?

Also, i'm going to be without the peices on the steering wheel for a bit, if i re-connected the battery, would the airbag go off, or do I have any safety hazards?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Well, I can tell you about the shift bezel. Piece of cake. Remove the center console (unscrew the one screw on the back and lift up on the front. The bezel is clipped in from underneath.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Well, I can tell you about the shift bezel. Piece of cake. Remove the center console (unscrew the one screw on the back and lift up on the front. The bezel is clipped in from underneath.
There is just one screw in the cup holder, right?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

to avoid the risk of breaking the window controls(like I did back in the day) just take the door pannel off, Take out the screw at the handle, and the one in the "cup". Then just pop the door panel off. Then you can safely remove the controls.

The steering wheel is a little harder to do but not to bad. For safety(I never do) disconnect the batt, and undo the the screws that on the back side of the steering wheel. The screws will not come out all the way. Then pull your air bag up, and you will see three wires running to it. Just unplug the black one, but the other two you will need to take a flat head screwdriver and pry up the little yellow tabs before they will unplug from the airbag. And there you go.

Maybe that will help you.

And do this at your own risk. I am not responsible if you break something, ha ha
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murbyrne
were talking xB here, we on the same page?

Also, i'm going to be without the peices on the steering wheel for a bit, if i re-connected the battery, would the airbag go off, or do I have any safety hazards?
oops! my mistake this was for the tc. i didnt botehr to check if u had tc or other model type. apologies
Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a good DIY for the steering wheel controls on the gen1 gen2 should be similar
http://www.xbsite.com/forum/howto-re...es-t-1098.html
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

thanks all, one last question, how do I get the rear door panels off, b/c there are little silver bezels that i'd like to paint. Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same as the fronts, one screw at the inside door handle, one in the bottom of the door pull "cup". Then pull the whole panel out from the bottom then up to clear the lock pull.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

So removing the door panel will make it easier to get the window control trim out.

Also, is getting the silver ring out that is around the shifter the same for Automatic transmission? Just get the center console out then what? Are there some clips or something that I can pop off?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, clips from what I have read.
I am doing the same thing, painting all the silver accesnt to match the body color.

If you have an auto trans, the floor console can be lifted enough for you to reach under it to unclip the ring. I have read that it is hard to remove the shifter handle. Use a mirror to see underneith.

I have to do this after I uninstall my armrest. Once this ring is removed, re-secure the floor console because the ring should snap back into place without disassembling.

The window controls have a clip in the front and a claw in the back, so you must try to unclip the front without doing damage to the apolstry. If it is too tight to unclip, then remove the door panel. The rear window control covers have claws on both sides, so the door panel will probablly need to come off.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

Window controls are just like everyone has said, remove the door panels.

The trim ring around the center shift, again like was mentioned remove the rear screw and then pop off the front. The trim ring can then be removed. If you rotate the center console you can get it around the auto tranny shifter and take it out entirely.

There is a small silver piece that covers the shift button and OD button. That can be removed as well. It takes a small thin flat head screw driver and some time but it can be removed. You will have to remove the OD button once you get the silver cover out.

The dash console can be reomoved once you take the 3 ***** off, remove the 2 screws behind them and pull out.

The speedo cover can be removed if you removed the tiny phillips screw on the underside where the idiot lights are. Then just pull out.

The steering wheel is just like was mentioned as well. Although, the sliver trim pieces are riveted on ... so you can either drill out the plastic rivets or just tape off the center air bag section. I taped mine off and drove around without an air bag for a week while the interior was being painted.