Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

rotating license bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default rotating license bracket

I know ill probly get flames by some people but I'm looking for a rotating/retractable license plate bracket. So it can flip and you see no plates? Anyone know any sites? Plz respond or pm me, thx
Old 09-24-2004, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rotating license bracket

Originally Posted by Sciontuner
I know ill probly get flames by some people but I'm looking for a rotating/retractable license plate bracket. So it can flip and you see no plates? Anyone know any sites? Plz respond or pm me, thx
I think you have watch to much KnightRider. I remember seeing that on that show about 15 years ago. Honestly I have never seen this done and as Im sure you are aware this is not legal. Although it would be a nice joke if you got pulled over by a cop and he said you have no tags and you said yes i do and flipped it around

Good luck with this mod though. If you figure a way out I would love to see it..
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I used to visit a Lexus forum all the time. . . there is GS400 owner who designed his own LCD plate cover, protected by another plastic shield. If you aren't familiar with LCD's, they are liquid crystal displays. . . black liquid you can move with electric current. So with the switch off it's clear. Switch on, and the glass turns pitch black. Cool huh? I wish I had the link to his gallery. He also mounted model estes rockets into his lower grill, no joke! YOu might still be able to find pics somewhere on the net. . .
Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I know they're made I've seen one before, what it is pretty much is like one of those flipping head units that have an abs plastic back so it looks like there is no radio....I'm not much of a fabricator, but I'm gonna look, I think that'd be cool for shows....
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I think one that rotates on it's own power would have to be custom fabricated. . .
I've seen one online, that is real easy and cheap. . . it's just a hinge. Once you get up to about 45 mph, the the plate pushes downward, and you can't see it (to hide from photo enforcement). But when you come to a stop, it falls back down under its own weight. . .
this kinda thing, motor or not, shouldn't be too hard to make, if you got the time to make it
Old 09-24-2004, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I remember those from the days when I was a street rod nut.
I'll see if I can find an old mag and get a web address for you.

*I did a quick google and came up with this.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by djct_watt
I used to visit a Lexus forum all the time. . . there is GS400 owner who designed his own LCD plate cover, protected by another plastic shield. If you aren't familiar with LCD's, they are liquid crystal displays. . . black liquid you can move with electric current. So with the switch off it's clear. Switch on, and the glass turns pitch black. Cool huh? I wish I had the link to his gallery. He also mounted model estes rockets into his lower grill, no joke! YOu might still be able to find pics somewhere on the net. . .
The LCD would be cool, but WTF are the rockets for?? :?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

They didn't blow up or anything. . . I believe it was only for show. . . as in car shows.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
I always though it would be cool to do this with a windshield, other car windows. I like to use a sun visor to keep my dash in good shape and keep the inside of the car cool. I've often thought how awesome it would be if, instead of fiddleing with that aluminum/carboard shield, you could just flip a switch and have all the windows go black.

Someone figure this out! Would also be a sweet theft deterant. Forget tint, how about instant black?

SUper sweet. Would cost a fortune but would be worth it for the super cool factor.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by eugovector
Someone figure this out! Would also be a sweet theft deterant. Forget tint, how about instant black?
What happens when something fails and all your windows go "instant black" as you're sailing down the highway
Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_saint
Originally Posted by eugovector
What happens when something fails and all your windows go "instant black" as you're sailing down the highway
if it takes electricity to turn all black, a simply cutoff switch would assure that that never happens. The circuit would actually have to be fuse to have an accident like that.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always wonderdered about this. It would be great if you ran a red light and the cameras would not catch the tags of your car.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check out 'stylinconcepts.com', they have something pretty similar to what you're looking for.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/license_plate.html

Electric License Plate Retractor
A great kit that you've asked for - and electric so it will work on cars with blowers. Operates off of the ignition switch, the plate is up when you're parked (ignition off) and down when you're driving (ignition on) with a full 90% swing. (Hey rebels, we know how to put in an extra switch for runnin' dirty! Cruise the fair grounds with the plate up!) Just two wires run to the unit plus ground. Wire and fuses included, and the motor is in a weather resistant enclosure. Even the lever arm has a break-away nylon piece in case you scrape bottom - and a spare in the kit. (Lic. frame not included.) Made by Good Times Prods.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Stylinconcepts has it for $199 but it is $165 at Watsons-streetworks
Old 09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks pretty cool but would the tags scape the floor if that where put on a tC or even and xb?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think if you put it on upside down in the regular license plate spot, it would work, of course this would not remove the plate from view, just make the face point straight down to prevent it from being a part of any unwanted photoshoots
Old 09-24-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah i dont think it would work on a Scion since they are low to the ground but hey you never know until you try.. plus dont necessarily have to use it for a license plate.. could mount some lcd screens in them and have electric flip down screens in your vehicle...

BUt i am going to get some for my 64 Chevy pickup
Old 09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShadyEye16
i think if you put it on upside down in the regular license plate spot, it would work, of course this would not remove the plate from view, just make the face point straight down to prevent it from being a part of any unwanted photoshoots
Old 09-24-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheIcon
I think you have watch to much KnightRider. I remember seeing that on that show about 15 years ago. Honestly I have never seen this done and as Im sure you are aware this is not legal. Although it would be a nice joke if you got pulled over by a cop and he said you have no tags and you said yes i do and flipped it around

Good luck with this mod though. If you figure a way out I would love to see it..
The joke would be on you after the cop gives you a fat ticket.

Quick Reply: rotating license bracket