Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion Headquarters requesting owner feedback!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default head unit?

i have installed an JVC am/fm/mp3/dvd head unit.
its set up for the 15" lcd tv in the back with custom amp rack and sub box w/2 12" subs.

main reason for changing stock unit has to do with lack of rca line in option .
really need to catch up with todays technology in audio systems for factory head units.

thanks,george

president & founder : ScionOwnersClub,USA
president & founder : StreetFreaks Auto Club
Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still have the 6-disc in my 05 xB. I think it sounds good for a stock deck and looks good, but it always flashes ERROR 4. My dealer said it wasnt a warrenty issue and it would cost me $500.

So, I am going to go with an Alpine deck because of the added equalizer functions.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) What manufacturer/brand of audio head unit do you have in your Scion, if you've replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit?

I have an Alpine IVA-D310

2) Please let us know why you chose to change your factory unit? Or why you didn't select to go with the upgrade factory unit?

I had planned to make my car a show car, so doing a stereo upgrade was one of my many plans to change. Before I had the money to get into the stereo, I was pretty happy with the stock Pioneer head unit and speakers.

For a stock stereo, I was happy with it, also with the ability to upgrade to Satalite.

I had gotten the IVA-D310 for the the DVD flip out touch screen and such for all the reasons of having an in car entertainment in my car. I also added SIRIUS to my car and couldn't be any happier. Sirius > XM. XM still edits some channels, and i dont pay to have the FCC block what I wanna hear. Anyways off topic, haha.

I still have to upgrade my speakers, but for the time being, they do me good and sound alright, and still give me some bass. I don't expect the best out of a stock stereo.

3) What manufacturer/brand of audio head unit would you select for your Scion, if different than above? Please let us know your first and second choices and why?

Not sure what ya asking, but I think Pioneer stock unit is pretty good choice. Some features on the radio it self could be a lil different and better, but with some improvements, it could be a beter head unit.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I have no opinion on the stock head unit.. I didn't listen to it but for 13 miles as I went to the shop and tore the car apart. I'd say that the Head Unit is weak in sound, although the speakers are that great the change in HU's made a huge difference..
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alpine for ipod intergration and aftermarket speakers and amps.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the factory unit 6-disc Pioneer in, I would say there is nothing wrong with the unit itself, but I would like the volume to have a dial **** rather than push buttons. And the major problem with the stereo in the xB is definitely the back speakers, most cars pump out more bass from the back, however this is the opposite in the xB. Not necessairly a bad thing but the speakers in the back are way too weak, they could have atleast be 6x9's.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stereo

1) What manufacturer/brand of audio head unit do you have in your Scion, if you've replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit?

Clarion

2) Please let us know why you chose to change your factory unit? Or why you didn't select to go with the upgrade factory unit?

I wanted to add amp and subs to my car and while it can be done with the current factoy stereo it could not control the sub volume. Also the volume was difficult to control, if you left it loud when you got out of the car you'd go deff when you started it up. Perhaps a feature that mutes the stero when you turn it on or a volue dial instead of buttons.

3) What manufacturer/brand of audio head unit would you select for your Scion, if different than above? Please let us know your first and second choices and why?

After Clarion would be Sony or Pioneer.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

***** FOR ALL!! CD'S GET STUCK N THE STOCK PIONEER.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default factory replacement

I am getting the Pioneer D1 Nav system. The factory is a fair unit, but desires a little more help with the power, at "30-40" volume level the speakers start to pop. The '06 single disc with aux input in the center console is cool.. so kudos for that. Maybe for future put brand name speakers "dyne audio" or something like that and possible amp.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member

I went with the Kenwood KDC-MP628. Liked the graphics on the display and comes sirius ready. Plus has 3 angles to rotate deck. Just did'nt like the bulky look of the stock scion unit. However did sound pretty decent for being stock
Old 10-27-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

KAD
SL Member

06 w/IPOD upgrade.

Not looking to change, unless i blow it up or something.

Not sure

I DO LIKE TO POST OF HAVING THE THINGS IN THE BACK OF THE STEREO..

THAT WAY ITS PLUG IN NOT REWIRING WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL WE ARE DOING AND DON'T HAVE THE EXTRA CASH TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member

I still have the stock unit but I will be switching to a Pioneer AVIC-D1 which is a double din touchscreen unit. I'm switching to it for the navigation.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
Scikotics
SL Member

Scion HQ,

I still have the factory unit. It meets almost all of my needs for daily drives. However, I wish it had RDS!

I will replace it soon with a DVD navigation system. If one like the Camry had been an option at the dealership, I would have selected it.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member

OEM Navi unit out of a 06 Toyota Camry

I have a mobile business and I needed the ability to find different locations at a moments notice. It’s good too not have to take down long and confusing directions when you are sitting in your car on the phone. The other reason is that I wanted the stock OEM look, and I’m not that concerned with the Sound that much, as long as I can hear it, it’s fine. I bought the car to replace a bigger V-8 to save gas, but I got the mod bug a week after I got it. I don’t care much for showing my car, but the Navi HU has been a talking point.

The OEM Navi is what I wanted and what I got. The other aftermarket ones are good if you show your car and are a serious audio head, but I'm not. I know that offering a Navi in a Scion would change the price dramatically, but it’s a necessity for me! My second choice would be the Eclipse, coincidentally; both units are made by the same company. I’ve never considered the others!

Big D, SE/LV

Holla!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Re: Scion Headquarters requesting owner feedback!!!!

i changed my 6disk to an alpine 9847 because i wanted to run rca's to my amp instead of regular speaker wire to an inverter...but i did have a few problems with my 6 disk, when i went to change between cd's it would give me an error message and shut off
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Hey Scion HQ just wondering where are you trying to go with this ? I know you said the whole "continuous improvement" thing, but are you going to respond to some of us about our issues ?

Are you going to make another appearence on here with the results of what you are finding out here ?

Just wondering, cause alot of us spent our time to write these & it would just be nice to see you pop on here again with anything at all.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

1. Upgraded iPod capable headunit. If there was no option for the iPod hookup, I would have to go aftermarket.

2. n/a

3. Alpine, I've always had great products from them.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about you get rid of Pioneer as your Supplier and get Alpine next time.. Much better quality and sound quality..
Old 10-30-2005, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
KAD

I have a Eclipise touch screen, which is basically toyotas Nav unit.

I love it, the only real reason I switched mine out was for pre amp outputs, Nav, and dvd capability. In other words if the Factory nave would have been available in 04 without customizing the car "Plug and play" I would have done it at the time of sale.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I currently have the stock one still, the head unit is good, far better than any stock piece available from other car companies. but I plan on upgrading to a Kenwood KDC-MP5028:

Auto-Slide Detachable Faceplate
Rotary Encoder & Jog Control **** for Easy Operation
14-Segment FL Display (8-Digit, Scroll On/Off selectable)
Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4 (MOSFET Power IC)
AAC/WMA/MP3 Playback
System Q/System E's+
Installer/Backup Memory of Audio Setup
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready
HD Radio Ready
External Media Control — iPod Ready
Dual Zone Source & Volume Control
AUX Input
2 Preouts (Rear/Subwoofer Out Switchable) with 4V Preoutput Level

and more than anything, I do not like the stock speakers (not that i would expect them to handle alot of power) but I've had the car for nearly 2 months and already they rattle at barely half volume.

Quick Reply: Scion Headquarters requesting owner feedback!!!!