Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scosche RCA Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scosche RCA Converter

Ugh. I spent the afternoon visiting various places.. two of them being Napa Auto Parts and Shucks. Napa didn't carry the converters.. and the old guy at Shucks had no idea what I was talking about. He kept talking about AC/DC converters for the car. "I already have one of those," I say. He asks me to explain what I mean. I explain, over and over and over, he repeats the same thing about AC/DC converters over and over and over... he still doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. So I walk him out to my car.. he SEES what I'm trying to achieve. But he's still clueless. I left.

A couple hours later I found myself browsing Wal-Mart. Well, funny enough, these car places and other stores I visited had no idea what I was talking about or didn't have what I needed. Yet, the second I asked this guy at Wal-Mart if he had what I was looking for, he knew exactly what I was talking about, what it does, and where to find it. I found that a little weird. I'd think that isn't quite Wal-Mart's specialty. Even if one guy knows what he's talking about, the car businesses should have more knowledge than they showed to me today.

In any case, my reason for coming here is to ask if the Scosche Converter (which I did get from Wal-Mart) is a decent product. I can still go to Circuit City and get one from them (a Tsunami Converter) if this isn't a worthy enough product.. but I wanted to make sure before I went and did anything with it.

I have two 12" Pioneer Subs with an Emerson PA-X 4100 4-channel 800W amp (which is what came with the subs.. can anybody explain a little more about audio if they have the time? :} ). The converter is a Scosche 2/4 Channel Adjustable Output Converter.. model number FAI-3A. It says up to 80 Watts per channel.

I'm slowly learning things about cars (ie, modifying) so this is also a learning experience for me.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scosche is part of Compustar I have the line out converter to got it at best buy worked perfect for the 6 months I've had it
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, thank you. What I hoped to hear, saves me a lot of trouble.. plus don't have to wait to visit family before I can get this thing finished up. I'm excited.

(When's the fair down there? I forget.)
Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just picked one up from crutchfield for my box.

I haven't put it in yet, but aside from it's goofy purple color, it seems like a quality unit. I don't expect any issues... Of course, i'll write more when I get it installed.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you should be fine with that for your intended purpose. When it says 80W max per channel, it is just referring to the input wattage, i.e. the watts coming from your head unit. The stock Scion H.U. puts out nowhere near 80 watts per channel, so you will be fine.

Mike
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love mine i have the one that comes in the avalon wire harnees 4 channel .
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love mine i have the one that comes in the avalon wire harnees 4 channel .
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

I also purchased a Scosche LOC from crutchfield and it installed with ease and works perfect!! I also like it came with a small break-off tool for adjusting the ***** because I didnt have a small enough screw driver with me and that would have ____ed me off not to be able to adjust it!!