Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scosche SCXB04 - Change 10" Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM

Default Scosche SCXB04 - Change 10" Sub?

I just got an '05 Xb and a Scosche SCXB04 subwoofer box. My research indicates the enclosure itself is not bad, but the EFX 10" sub is pretty weak. Just curious to those who have this box and have replaced the 10" with another brand.

What make/model sub are you using in the SCXB04? How does it sound? Any recommendations and/or suggestions would be appreciated. I have access to an older model Boston Acoustics Pro10 sub, but not sure it will work (depth and/or box volume).

I'm not looking for high DB's, just clean and powerful sound.

I'll be powering the sub with an older RF Power 550x (350-400w to sub).

Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced mine with a Kicker CVT10, I'm powering it with a bridged Rockford Fosgate Punch 325.2 amp(325W x 1 @ 4-Ohms bridged RMS).

Here's where I got my Kicker and the specs for it: http://www.millionbuy.com/kik07cvt104.html

So far so good and it sounds quite a bit better than the EFX sub, I wont be winning any bass contests but for a shallow mount(all that will fit in it) 10" sub I'm pretty impressed by it. I had to dremel the box a little bit where the speaker mounts to make it fit.

Here it is:
[/url]
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the response and picture. I've seen an new trend with the "shallow mount" subs and I was wondering about the Kicker. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

If you read the reviews on Crutchfield, one person mentions swapping the EFX with an MTX 4500-4 sub, which is nearly 5" deep. I have a pair of older MTX Blue Thunder 10" subs, but they want at least 1ft3 (they are also over 7yrs old). The BA Pro I mentioned also needs a larger box.

I will most likely start with the sub the way it is, then upgrade later if necessary. The Xb is in more need of a Dynamat bath than anything else.

Any other comments about replacing the EFX sub?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have the Kick Comp CVT in a stealthbox that originally housed a sq10 from Elemental Designs.

The kicker DOES put out some deep bass, much more than the sq10. I have mine hooked up to a jbl bp600.1 amp.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'll be watching this topic cause I need to change out my speaker in the Scosche box as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:26 AM

I've not measured the depth, but I'll bet the JL Audio 10W1v2 will fit (4.34" deep). I've also come across a MB Quart RSH254 shallow mount 10" in my searching (3.74"). Interesting, but I'm old school and not sure the quality of MB Quart these days (15 years ago they were top of the line).
Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
I also have the Kick Comp CVT in a stealthbox that originally housed a sq10 from Elemental Designs.

The kicker DOES put out some deep bass, much more than the sq10. I have mine hooked up to a jbl bp600.1 amp.
Did the Kicker Comp CVT fit in that box without any modification?
How would you describe the SQ10? Did it suck or just not hit hard enough for you?

I sent you a PM...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by Metro273
I'll be watching this topic cause I need to change out my speaker in the Scosche box as well.
same
Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

I put an infiinty 1050W in mine, fit perfectly, works great, and was easy to install.

If a sub has the following specs, it probably should work in the Scosche box:

9 1/16" cutout diameter
5" or less depth.
.75 cu ft sealed box volume.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I, too, put a CVT10 in my box. A dremel with a sanding drum is needed to knock a 1/16" or two off the box to make it fit, but that takes all of 2 minutes.

I'm pretty satisfied with the sub. I have an Alpine MRP-M450 single channel 400 watt amp powering it, and it's sound quality is pretty damn good. It doesn't get super loud, but it's enough to vibrate everything in the car. My gas cap cover can be heard rattling outside of the car, and my license plate used to rattle before I put foam tape behind it.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by kehoz
I put an infiinty 1050W in mine, fit perfectly, works great, and was easy to install.

9 1/16" cutout diameter
5" or less depth.
I noticed a review on Crutchfield also using the Infinity 1050W. Those are pretty affordable, although have been replaced with the 1052W.

I finally got my Scosche box installed today and am pretty amazed with the cheapo EFX sub. If the Infinity and Kicker sound better, then they must really kick!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i first replaced my sub with a 10" pioneer TS-W256C, it didnt fit bc of the mount ring, not the depth. therefore i cut the floor and put a speaker grill on top. looked great had a slight rattle.

-have now replaced that with a 12" Kenwood shallow mount Excelon KFC-XW1200F
-had to take the skil saw to the enclosure but it fits and only needs 0.8 cu ft
Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

THREAD REVIVAL TIME!

Ok, so i'm finally getting around to replacing my efx sub that comes with the Scosche box. I'm looking into this sub, and I just have a few questions before I buy, since I know nothing about audio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1081050...111&tab=review

I know it fits, so I'm not worried about that. But I just wanted to make sure everything would be compatible with my current set up. I've got a 1000w amp, there wont be any problems with this sub and that?

Also, is installing a sub easy? I didn't do it the first time, but would replacing one be an easy task? What exactally do I need to do

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for the response in advance
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I remember correctly, the screws holding the EFX sub in are not phillips/cross heads or standard allen heads. I can't remember, but I *think* they were Torx.

Take a look and have the correct wrench on hand!

Also, the sub is only 250 RMS rated! If you have a true 1000W RMS amp, turn the gains down!

Robert
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by tanakasan
If I remember correctly, the screws holding the EFX sub in are not phillips/cross heads or standard allen heads. I can't remember, but I *think* they were Torx.

Take a look and have the correct wrench on hand!

Also, the sub is only 250 RMS rated! If you have a true 1000W RMS amp, turn the gains down!

Robert
I've got the correct tool to get it out. I really don't know what you mean when you say turn the gains down. How would I do it? Sorry, i'm a big noob at this stuff.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

can anyone answer my question? I want to buy this soon, I'd like to get it installed ASAP

Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

someone...anyone? Please?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Default SCXB04 Specs

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I've looked all over this board and the internet for this info and haven't found it, so...
Kehoz (or anyone else), you said:

9 1/16" cutout diameter
5" or less depth.
How did you get these numbers? If you measured them yourself, how precise are they? I'm looking at replacing the stock sub with a JL 10w0v2 which has a 4.9" depth. It looks like I could go with a 10w1 without problem, but I'd prefer to go with the w0... Anyone do this yet? The stock sub is really quite lousy. I'm running an Alpine PDX-5 with a 2008 HU and installed JL Evolution TR 6.5" components in front and 5.25" coaxials in the rear. The system is awesome except for the scosche sub.

Helpful tip for anyone with this box: I purchased a second rear deck cover from a junkyard to cut for the grille installation and put the original away in my garage so I can resell without problems (which I'm not planning on anytime soon).
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Since I started this thread nearly 3 years ago, I thought it was time for an update!

I installed a '96 Kicker Solobaric s10c in the SCXB04 with some slight modification. It sounds NICE! See the install here:

---
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Nice job!

mp3SF,

Nice work! It's amazing how closely your install resembles my own (I, too, like the stealth approach), right up to the head unit from the xB 2.0.

I decided to go with the Kicker CVT 10" 4ohm single voice coil, which hits MUCH harder than the Scosche and is shallow enough to fit in the box without a problem. It was night and day. I also had to dremel out the ring so the flange could get seated properly and can testify that it makes a huge mess, but the results are worth it. I went with the Alpine PDX-5 and mounted it under the passenger seat and the whole system is invisible.

Thanks for your video, I enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by mp3superfreak
Since I started this thread nearly 3 years ago, I thought it was time for an update!

I installed a '96 Kicker Solobaric s10c in the SCXB04 with some slight modification. It sounds NICE! See the install here:

Scion xB - Scosche SCXB04 Subwoofer Upgrade

---

Quick Reply: Scosche SCXB04 - Change 10" Sub?