Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sealed or Ported ?!? I need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Sealed or Ported ?!? I need help !!

Ok i am getting 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's. Now my question is about a box i should buy or make.

What would be better a sealed enclosure or Ported ??

Can i get something like this and leave it? Or if i need ported can i just make two big holes on the top and put port covers in them?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/boxbuilder.php?tab=pictures

or should i buy this, leave it sealed ... or make port holes on top of it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONIX-NEW-12-DUAL...QQcmdZViewItem

Please help cuz im audio illiterate !
Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a sealed box with 2 12's and it works good for me. I don't recommend cutting holes in the box yourself unless you know how to tune it properly...but people please correct me if I'm wrong. Porting the box will let some air out and will sound good but not as much bass., I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. that last link for the hatchback box looks good for the job. I got mine for $40 from a local swap meet and it hits very nicely.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so air coming out is no good ?? its better when its sealed ??
Old 09-23-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

i dunno what kloquewerk is talking about..... i have a slotted port box with one 12in and the bass hits a lot damn harder than when it was in a sealed box
Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im confursed !!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

ya diffently do slot ported if you want it really loud. DO NOT CUT HOLES in the box because that does not make it a ported box. Do some researching on the net about slot ported boxes and sealed youll get the info you need. I have two kicker 12 L7's run by a 1200 kicker amp in a slot ported box, and its real loud.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL. The sealed boxes have better bass response than ported boxes. either way if your subs are good, they will sound good either way. just personal preference like I said. It's always good to get a custom box, if money allows it, so your measurements of the box will sound good with your subs.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how about something like this ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DUAL-12-SLOT...QQcmdZViewItem

there are two sloted port holes on each side right ?? i cant really see cuz its to dark? Also the dimensions will fit the tc with the cover over will it ??
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

exactly what kloquewerk said i would have it custom made to fit your subs. those ports or facing to the sides which is ok if there not going to be right against something becasue they need to breath, it would be better if they were facing the same way as the subs and it would sound great in a tc
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ well these port slots are facing the same way as the subs. There on each side though. Would that be a prob. ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DUAL-12-SLOT...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-23-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

no thats fine, ya that box would work if you want to go the premade way, i would have someone build a box for my subs so that i can get the best sound out of them but that looks like an ok box if that what you wanna get
Old 09-23-2005, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it all boils down to your taste of bass,we all know that a sealed box would give you a deep vibrating bass,where as a ported box would give you a much softer bass,keep in mind that there are some woofers that's design to play better in ported box,i have a 10" kicker comp in a seal box and my friends swear i got two 12",got a fosgate p4004 amp bridged to my 10" sub..
Old 09-23-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ that's what I was trying to say then everyone attacked me!! j/k. My Audiobahn's bump waaaayyy louder than the ported boxes I've heard before so I was mostly going by that as well. Most stereo shops would tell you sealed is the way to go.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

sealed is a good way to go in an xb since theres not a whole lot of room for a ported box and the bigger the ported box the better it sounds, i also agree it depends on the subs to, i had a sealed box at first for my 12 inch L7's and then had a slot ported made and the difference was amazing i could hardly beleive it was the same two subs
Old 09-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends dredge. for SQ, i like sealed better, and i dont know if its my imagination, but tighter bass seems to come out of sealed more often. tighter punchier bass.

with ported, you have to have a BIG box to really do it right. not often will you find a small ported box. its hard to get it just right with a small port and your tuning i found out.

with my set up, i have a port running the whole bottom length of the enclosure facing towards the hatch. then all the subs are top of the box firing upwards.

SPL i would go with a properly tuned ported box. a badly tuned box with a port sounds like crap. SQ, i would go sealed. just my .02 from an audio noob.

scott
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i agree with ya sexyscionlover, but a ported box built right and tuned right can still be good for sQ but i think it all depends on the sub also, like i know if you put a JL W7 in a sealed box that sub will never achieve its full potential because of how much the sub actually moves (excersion), to achieve its full potential it needs to be in a ported box, but for this guys rockford fosgates either box should work fine
Old 09-23-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Ill lay it down plain and simple:

Ported : requires some really precision cutting/measurments, it will require more air space (larger box) and there are several types of ported boxes, it'll require some real google time. the bass is good for the low low frequencies, and a good amp will prove some very clean, low hear-it-down-the-block bass.; great for bassy songs.

sealed: u can get away with decent meausrements, pretty easy to build, and not limited to shape (if you know how to measure volume,) some subs (by brand) hit better in a sealed box, it usually has better frequecny response all around 20hz-150hz; and is good for any kind of music.

the sound quality will all depend on the kind of sound you like; some songs will hit better in a ported box, some in a sealed. so use several songs to test different boxes, if you get the chance at a local 'sub' shop.... <listen to different boxes if you can, you'll feel the difference in response..

last note; they'll both rattle about the same imho. the air space moved is the same for any box since the excursion of the speaker you use will be the same

my humble opinon; sealed box for the tC; hatch's like the tC sound better w/a sealed box, speakers facing the glass @ an angle that will reflect up and then forward
Old 09-23-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok depends on what you want...

You want loud in the car and not travel supper far... go ported.

You want more cleaner bass and can hear it from a far sealed.

You going for spl comps go ported.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:28 AM
gko
5 Year Member

Whoo guys. Let's start from the beginning.

First, most subs are designed to be in a specific type of box. Sealed, ported (slot, round doesn't matter)or bandpass. Alot of subs nowadays can do multiple types of enclosures.

All subs, reguardless of which type enclosure you choose, require a SPECIFIC amount of airspace for the given box style. Brand x sub might sound good in a given box but swap it out for brand y sub and now it sounds like poo. Does that mean brand y sub is poo? No just in the wrong size box.

All manufactures give all the specs and airspace requirements with the sub. If you never got them, then go to rockfords web site and get them. They are easily found

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...sure_v2002.pdf

I've seen way too may people spend alot of money on equipment and slap it in without regard to how its meant to work. Only to _____ about how bad it sounds when they never gave if a chance to work in the first place. And that goes for more than just box size. Proper wiring, good grounds, etc.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Why not just get the Fosgate box with the subs in it. They make a ported box preloaded with the subs you want. Fosgate has the box built perfectly for the subs, and really is what they recommend you use.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...1%20Enclosures

Personally I dont like the box, or even the product, but that is just me.

Jason

Quick Reply: Sealed or Ported ?!? I need help !!