Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sealed or Ported ?!? I need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^ yeah i reasearched those boxes already. I dont like them at all.

And reason why im going with RF is because i've expirenced good things with them and my bro and dad has never had a problem with them. And they hit really good. I just hope the P3's are making my run for my money.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Sealed=better exteme low end, like below whatever frequency you'd port a ported box to.

Ported=hits much harder around the tuning frequency, but drops quickly below it and an octave above it.

As to which sounds better, really depends on the sub. I know someone that has one of our old 15A's in a ported box, and all he listens to is stuff like Mudvayne and other rock with crazy fast drums.

There is no way a ported box is quieter or softer than a sealed box if it's built right.

As far as a box in a tC, I've done both. Want to be impressed w/ a 6.5" sub in a .5 cube ported box, show up in Cedar Rapids on Sunday
Old 09-23-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've put a 12" RF Punch XL (4 years old) in a Q-Logic bandpass and it hits like crazy. I love bandpass personally but you gotta have the trunk space for it. No to mention the bandpass enclosure will protect your sub from physical damage due to the large, thick piece of plexiglass on the front of it.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u must ask this question...then you shouldnt be a "do-it-yourself" system builder. i talk from expierence lol. i bought everything through a local car stereo place for my zx3...and decided iwas cool and could build my own box and wire it all myself..how hard can it be eh? well a lot of headaches later and alot of garbage sounding sub later..i said ____ this and took it back to them and had them tell me what needed to be done..i did the wireing right...except for a couple grounds were not good..and then the box was the killer. they re did my grounds and built me a box. all ihad to say was wow. it was amazing how much of a difference it made. in my personal opinion i would just pay the extra green and have someone who does it for aliving..do it for you..saves you time/headaches and you'd prolly be alot happier
Old 09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ im not going to do it myself. I wouldnt be dumb enough to even try. All im saying is what would be better for the subs im purchasing, a sealed or ported enclosure.

How much did you pay for your custom enclosure ??
Old 09-23-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sealed boxes give you tighter bass, better for music that has double bass pedals in it.

i'll only ever have a sealer box, i've never heard a ported box that didn't sound boomy
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
sealed boxes give you tighter bass, better for music that has double bass pedals in it.

i'll only ever have a sealer box, i've never heard a ported box that didn't sound boomy
Like I mentioned earlier, it's all a matter of the speaker. If a ported 15 can keep up with Mudvayne's drummer, I'm pretty sure it's "tight" bass.

rolstc:

What kind of music do you listen to, and how much of your hatch do you want to get rid of?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

mandos i cant wait to hear your car this weekend at the cr meet, do you feel like you keep repeating yourself in this thread?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by dredge38
mandos i cant wait to hear your car this weekend at the cr meet, do you feel like you keep repeating yourself in this thread?
1 ported 6.5"...probably surprise you on loudness...and not be described as sloppy
Old 09-23-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

rolst time to visit my neighborhood for sub boxes purchases. music in motion and something audio shop.

music in motion has a good rep.. http://www.musicinmotion.net/

the other shop also and my buddy used to work there so i recommend it also for custom boxes.

=
Old 09-23-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

check out the gallery

http://www.musicinmotion.net/mobileaudio.htm
Old 09-24-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope rolstc don't get confused with all the info we posted.......
Old 09-25-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ well since you put it that way. I've been thinking and cant stop thinking about all the inputted info in my brain you guys put. All i really wanted to know was whether or not the P3 rockford fosgates would be better ported or sealed.

I listen to rap/drum and bass/dance music. I like it when the bass hits hard and loud !! yes GHETTO ;)
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rolstc
^^ well since you put it that way. I've been thinking and cant stop thinking about all the inputted info in my brain you guys put. All i really wanted to know was whether or not the P3 rockford fosgates would be better ported or sealed.

I listen to rap/drum and bass/dance music. I like it when the bass hits hard and loud !! yes GHETTO ;)
You said DnB....go sealed.

DnB has lots of retarded notes...like 17Hz...=death to a sub in a ported box, or they'll be completely filtered out. If you want to hear everything that DnB has to offer, go sealed.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sealed = SQ sound quality

ported = SPL loud bass
Old 09-25-2005, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 808tC
sealed = SQ sound quality

ported = SPL loud bass
I couldn't have said it better.... BUT... also note that ported enclosures usually sound a lot better in a hatchback because it gives a lot more airflow and it lets the subs push the air around easier.. With a sealed box, the air doesn't have anywhere to go, so it just stays in the box and gives you that lower bass.. If you like loud and hard go for ported, just make sure you buy the right box... AND, like gko said earliar, you need to have your subs in the right box for them to sound good... SO, with that in mind, make sure the box you buy has those specs... I went and found the specs for ya.

12" P3-4ohm DVC
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Subwoofers

12" P3-2ohm DVC
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Subwoofers

GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-25-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lots of good info!
Old 09-25-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

here's an idea... why not ask the shop you buy the parts from? If they are installing it, maybe they could lend some input to what would be "best".
Old 09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey rolstc i was just wondering what kinda amp you got to push that p3,i had to take mine back to the store for a full credit,my 400 watt amp didn't had the power to push that sub,got the kicker comp 10"works well in a sealed box..
Old 09-26-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well everything i get in my car is Ebay. Ebay is my best friend. As of an amp right now i dont have one yet in mind. Im going to talk to my installer to see which one i should get. Ill let you know and take pics of the setup.

Thanks very much for the input you guys. It helped alot !! And i learned alot.

Quick Reply: Sealed or Ported ?!? I need help !!