Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sirius Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sirius Radio?

I just read this post:

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000810022927/

It looks like Toyota will start offering Sirius really soon, and the article says it will offer it in all the scion products. Right now the only factory sattelite add on is the XM antenna, right? Does this mean in a while we'll be able to buy a Sirius antenna that just snaps into place? Right now I don't have either but I like keeping my options open. Just thought I'd post it.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The antennas for XM and Sirius are virtually the same. The difference is the hideway box that controls them. And the HU to some extent
Old 12-08-2004, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah... somehow I never realized there was a hideaway box - I guess I figured that when the deck says "XM Ready" or whatever, it contained everything that was needed other than the antenna. Maybe this is why the XM option for the tC costs so much? Where does the box hide?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that's great news!! but I am still thinking a plug n play unit would be cheaper than the dealer installed stuff.. But the nice thing is, Toyota actually began offering Sirius! I think sirius is better in many ways, but that's my opinion.. Seems toyota is thinking that too

thanks for the info.. that's great!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Other then the promis of Stern in 06 they are pretty much the same as XM. You can argue the audio quality back and forth it's really up to the ears of the beholder.

iowagary- there is a HU like the on the market Alpine makes it if memory serves other then that almost all HUs require another box for satiellite
Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnnyicesae
iowagary- there is a HU like the on the market Alpine makes it if memory serves other then that almost all HUs require another box for satiellite

Translation: Alpine makes an HU that has the tuner built into the receiver, so there's no need for an external box like the rest of the satellite radio systems out there. You still need an antenna though...
Old 12-08-2004, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got it. I won't be getting either unless I start driving a lot more. Maybe if I got XM or Sirius, I wouldn't have to worry about the ____ty reception on the stock deck. Can anyone who's got either confirm that they really are static free? That's what I really care about. If my #1 favorite station (KEXP) ever got a sattelite feed, I'd be totally into it.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Sirius or XM

There is an adapter that allows you to run either Sirius or XM with your radio. I have seen them at my dealers. I really didn't pay attention to who makes it though. Sorry I will try to find out.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wrote to scion to see if the current stock radio in all of our current tC's would work with the new sirius radio feature.. It won't! It will require a new radio from what they told me.. So yeah the idea of getting the PIE adapter for an aux input with rca jacks, then plugging in an aftermarket plug n play sirius unit is a better idea than to spend all that money on a new stock radio..
Old 12-08-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I guess that means that Scion is going to be coming out with a new head unit or two - I wonder if they'll just take the existing unit and add Sirius compatibility or if they're going to really change things up - maybe something nicer? I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the stock unit with another stock unit if they came out with something cool. If they came out with something with Nav included, I'd wet myself.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both services have the same number of channels pretty much. I can't comment on the content or quality of the channels since I've only listened to XM. I can say, though, that XM is $4 cheaper per month than Sirius (standard package)
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True, but if you want the streaming feed on your computer, XM charges for it and Sirius throws it in. Like I said before, I think they're pretty interchangeable. They definitely have different stuff though, so look at both lineups and get whichever one has that one special thing you like. I'll get one or the other when I drive more.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The antennas for XM and Sirius are virtually the same. The difference is the hideway box that controls them. And the HU to some extent
Just some info the antennas are not the same xm and siriuss work on completly differnt frequencies and they are not compatable.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by zblubox
Just some info the antennas are not the same xm and siriuss work on completly differnt frequencies and they are not compatable.
i disagree, i have installed both multiple times, and used both in my car. i had the one xm micro antenna working both the kenwood sirius H2A1 and the Delphi roady2. worked great for me, and i had no problems with it. the only draw back i would say is the wireless modulator of the roady2. not the best of quality.

Jim
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member

My freind told me he hooked this up to his stock HU. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product
He lives an hour from me so I have not actually seen how he hooked it up, but I called best buy and they told me that sirius box will work with any factory HU that is satelite ready. Are they for real? or are they just idiots?