Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound Deadening Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If people could post their experiences with eDead v3, I'd be interested to see them. I'm thinking of getting this to stop the rattle in my passenger side door. Where would it be best to apply, on the door's frame or on the back of the plastic door panel?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is edead V3 really odorless? I remember using the older one and it smell for weeks! And I only did the Trunk of my old car. Also when you get the Edead try to take it to a paint shop where they have one of those machines that shakes the can around. When I got it the Edead was actually seperating. I would have super thick blue stuff on the bottom and really this light stuff at the top. I dont know if that only applies to V1
Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kevinb... from what i've read both sides is best.... but i'm thinking just to try to stop rattling... on the plastic.

edead V1 are mats... not liquid... V3 blue and black are supposed to be odorless once its finished drying... but will have a "mango" smell according to reports.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Chimmy. Anyone else have experience with the v3?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
edead V1 are mats... not liquid... V3 blue and black are supposed to be odorless once its finished drying... but will have a "mango" smell according to reports.
oh, im a dumbass. i thought v3 was a newer version of the liquid or something. Anyways, i dont know about the mango smell. the smell wasnt too bad though
Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had RAAMmat on 3 of my cars and they have all been in competition lanes. All the cars were dark colored in CA with temperatures reaching crazy numbers. I removed the headliner after four years to check out whats going on and the sound deadening was as good as I installed it the first day. After that I don't use anything else. Right now I am sounddeadening my Tc and I am using RAAMmat again. Its either that or Dynomat Extreme for me. I just trust those two products.

P.S. I have also tried fatmat whick fell off my trunk lead in 3 days, and brown bread which fell off my tunk side panel after 2 weeks.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might be a month old post and I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet but look what I found on my own. I didn't want to post a new thread so I thought I would add it to this one.....
Check it out. Pretty sweet write up!

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11326

I happened to purchase 120sq ft and 3 gallons based on an educated guess and it looks like I was almost right on! It cost me $323 and I'm installing this coming weekend hopefully!
Hope this helps......
P.S. I think this is the black stuff but it dries a garyish color.
I got the blue because it's all they had in stock. Color doesn't matter if it's not going to be seen......
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup that is my install https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57290

I ordered up the exact same as you did, I used just over 2 gallons for everything, however there was lots left in the 2 "empty" gallons since I did not scrape them clean with a spatula or anything. Also I have about 20 sqft of v1se left.

I am very happy with the eDead product line and would not hesitate to reccomend it to anyone.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Notacop
Yup that is my install https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57290

I ordered up the exact same as you did, I used just over 2 gallons for everything, however there was lots left in the 2 "empty" gallons since I did not scrape them clean with a spatula or anything. Also I have about 20 sqft of v1se left.

I am very happy with the eDead product line and would not hesitate to reccomend it to anyone.
Did you double layer everywhere? I read your post I just forgot?
Let me know.
Thanks,
Austin
Old 04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I double layered everywhere with the V3, v1 I did single layer everywhere except the wheel wells and behind each speaker where I doubled up.

V3 the first layer is really more of a primer, then the second layer goes on REALLY REALLY thick, with the first layer if you try to put it on thick it just comes off where you just layed it down. Let it go on thin then use the second layer to build it up.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok guys , I have a few options anyone care to help me make a decision?

fatmat extreme

b quiet extreme

edead v1

edead v3

oh and i'll be doing the floor , rear hatch , doors , and maybe the roof.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

v1 and v3 is what i think... with the discount ... price can't be beat...

its what i plan to do when i get the time
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Notacop
I double layered everywhere with the V3, v1 I did single layer everywhere except the wheel wells and behind each speaker where I doubled up.

V3 the first layer is really more of a primer, then the second layer goes on REALLY REALLY thick, with the first layer if you try to put it on thick it just comes off where you just layed it down. Let it go on thin then use the second layer to build it up.
You said it took you 2 hours to gut the interior right.
Well how long does it take for the V3 to dry and how long did the project take you total? Let me know bro because I am wanting to try to tackle this in one weekend of constant work.......Is that possible?
Also after you did this project did you have trouble reinstalling anything? Like it was to thick in some places? Maybe some suggestions on where to watch out for when putting it on thick......
Old 04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spent total about 20 hours with 2 people, it could be done in 1 weekend as long as it is not really humid or start raining.

When we were puttin on the V3 the first layer was dry at the back of the car by the time we got to the front of the car. However with the second layer it started raining out (we were in the garage at that point) but the humidity kept it from drying.

As far as fit, the center console front clips do not like to hold very well, I may have to cut off the V1se that is under there. Also the big holes in the bottom corner's of the door panels have styrofoam pieces on the door panel that fits inside, since I sealed them up it was a little tricky getting the doors back on, beyond that everything fit fine.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love you......
Old 04-20-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"thanks man.....but you're not getting my bud light"
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chup peeps,
I fooled around with the dampening material this weekend. I did the driver front, passenger rear and the hatch door.

I double layered but I didn't do the outer layer of the door. I just did the inner part of the door because I am going do save everything else for the liquid when it comes in!
If you have no experience with sound dampening stuff I have to say that you are really missing out. It's the best investment that I've purchased for my box by far and I haven't even finished the project.

As you all have heard before after you do this and slam your door you can instantly tell a difference. I don't know about it sounding like an $80,000 benz door but it does give the sound that a better insulated car would. (Solid)

My hatch door has seen the biggest improvement so far and also the most challenging (I almost had a stroke pulling those panel plug things out). Crank it up and only the license place still vibarates a little bit......

Around May 5th I'm going to gut the interior and mask off everything that I don't want covered and I am going to spray in the V3.

I actually had fun doing the doors because the result was so noticeable. BTW there is a huge difference between 1 and 2 layers.

I'll try to get a digital camera and take some good pics for everyone......

Overall I recommend that everyone make this $300 investment because there is no way you would be disappointed!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking of doing just 1 layer of mat.. and overlaying that layer with liquid
Old 04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds like a winner as well.
I know just putting 2 layers has made a dramatic difference and I plan to coat it with probably 3 layers of liquid......
One layer and some liquid would do the trick though I'm sure......I do have to comment that just one layer of mat I could tell a slight difference but 2 layers was a huge difference. I haven't experienced the liquid yet but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
One thing I like about our vehicles is that they are so easy to take apart!
Good luck and I know your going to enjoy it because of the results you will see.