Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speaker Ohm Resistors. Does any one know where to find them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Speaker Ohm Resistors. Does any one know where to find them?

Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Do I know what I am talking about?

Here's my situation. I just recently purchased an Eclipse amp that can give me 130 x 2 watts to a 4ohm load and 200 x 2 watts to a 2ohm load. The component speakers I plan on purchasing are pretty power hungry (Focal 136W3). I want to oush my amp to the fullest but I want to keep the amp in stereo mode, meaning I do not want to bridge my amp for more power.

I was browsing through ebay and stubled upon a device that explained that it can change the load going to the amp form the speaker. Meaning you had the option to select the ohm load the amp will push (weather it's 2, 4, 3, 8, 1ohm).

I remember reading it clear as day. Can anyone tell me the "Technical Name" of this device?

Like I said before. I just want to be able to push my speakers @ 2ohm to get more power to my speakers in stereo mode.

Any help/advise would be awesome.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy more speakers. then Wire htem in parallel.

Dave.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I thought of that but then instead of getting 200watts to the components that I want the power will be divided up between 2 speakers giving them both 100watts each. I would rather have more power to my one set of components than more have more speakers that are not getting enough juice. Plus the Focals are going to run me over $800 alone. My amp cannot handle a bridged 2 ohm load. I have thought of that as well. I guess I could purchase an identical Eclipse amp to have one amp for the left and right. That would give me like 400watts to each side....Whoa!!!! I guess I could just turn the gain down a little? Or not :twisted:
Old 06-11-2004, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't worry so much about the load to your amp if it is above the manufacturer's recommendations.

First, you will not gain anything by adding another load in with your speakers because it will just draw half the power and nothing additional will go to your speakers. The only thing that will add more sound is another set of speakers in this case.

Second, it takes double the power for an additional 3dB of volume. In other words, since your possible gain from 130 to 200 is only 70 you will only get between 1-2 dB of gain. At high volume levels you will not hear that difference. Since this is for your mids and highs, you will not feel the difference. Actually you might in sound quality.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I read the Resistors change the load that the amp will push. Instead of pushing the 4ohms that my components are rated at it will I guess in a sense "trick" the amp into pushing the speakers in a 2ohm load delivering 200 watts to each channel. You following what I am getting at? I am not adding extra resistance (that would be retarted to make my amp work harder and still only receive the power it would deliver at 4ohms) I am changing the ohm rating of my components through this device. I have always been a firm believer in having too much power and just turning my gain down to find the sewwt spot between my head unit and amps.......Holla back.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Where did you read that?

It's basic electronic theory that any electrical components connected together in series or parallel will share the available power. There is no tricking the amp. If you put a resistor in parallel with you speakers part of the power will go to that resistor.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will try to find it before I go anymore in depth. I hate getting in conversation that I can't backup with facts or documentation. I will research it and get back with you.....
Old 06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Speakers & resistors are very different, I would not recommend doing what you're trying to do. Either it will underload/overpower the amp and/or do the same to the speakers but the other way, thus overpowering (frying) your $800 Focals.

If you need a 2 ohm load, run 2 - 4 ohm speakers in parallel. Nothing else.
If you are concerned with power, get a more powerful amp, if you can afford Focals, you can afford a pair of 100Wx4 amps.

Dave.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

O so true.....
I just thought it was an interesting product. Next time I start a thread I will have all my bases covered so I can provide the specifics about what I am talking about. I know it would be wise to run my amp at 4ohms regardless for the simple fact that it is less strain on the amp.
If anyone happens to run accross what I am talking about let me know because I am stillinterested in the mechanice behind this device.....
I'm not crazy I swear
Old 06-11-2004, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe you, I've heard of them before. I just can't see the logic behind why they have been made, they don't work properly.

My vote, get better/more powerful amp(s), if you are so concerned with power, 100W for a set of components is very loud & clean, you shouldn't need more than that. So, 100Wx4@4 ohms, will push 4 sets of (4 ohm) components just fine.

I find that some people are more concerned with ohms than power, it is a 2-way street, less ohms=more power, but if you want more power, most of the time, you have to buy it.

Dave.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I am only going to run 1 pair of the 165W3 comps. I was told that it would be advisable to just get the mids and highs in the front and leave all of my bass in the back. I'm looking to buy 4 JL Audio 15W3v2 D2's and from what I have been told more than one set of componsnts could make things sound? Off? You know with the sound stage and slight delays. The Head unit I plan on useing has 4 channel time correction so it's possible it would sound great. No I know it would sound great if I had the time to get everything perfect! Plus I'm not sure if I want to invest another $800 in some focals for the rear. It's already going to cost me out of the ___ to get these 3-way comps fabricated to fit my front doors and I don't know if I want to spend another $1500 (Fabrication and Components) to get the rear doors done.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm confused.

3-way Comps & 4 15"s

WTF?? Pick one SQ or SPL.

I'd say 2 sets of 3 way Components, one in each door, then 2-8" & 2-12"s. 5 way setup, High, Mid Range, Mid-Bass, Bass & Subs. That My Psuedo-SQ setup, but I'm still trying to decide on make/model of stuff.

Dave
Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know it's kind of weird right?
I want crisp clean music and keep my subs down but when I have the urge I want to make my passengers ears bleed!!!! I freaking love bass. If it matters I am going to have the 4 15's in a sealed enclsure for SQ...haha. I got big plans and I don't like just talking so I am just going to have to hook it up to show you.... JL Audio is so smooth. What is your budget? I might have some recomendations!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya, with a good SQ setup, all you have to do is turn up the bass/subs.

$0 right now, but maybe down the road, I know what I want, I just need to money. By
the time I have the money, they may not make what I want.

I want a full Boston setup, w/ MacIntosh power & AudioControl EQx. That's just audio, I haven't started on video yet, but it'll prolly be something like 9" Headrests & 23" Flip down out back (from the Hatch), but we'll see. I don't have big plans, I have "A Vision".

Dave.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome. Boston is some grade a stuff. Mcintosh is unbelieveable. It's a trip how all of their newest products are like 8 years old (At least I haven;t seen any new models) and their resale value is still amazing. I was thinking about getting a High Resolution Plye 17" flipdown because it's the largest that I can find. $809 on ebay. But I plan on getting a sunroof so I don't know if the two would get in the way of each other. I have never heard of a 23" flip down! Where did you find that? Or did you plan on getting it custom fitted? Anyway that's another topic. We are getting off the subject.... :D
Late
Old 06-12-2004, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't seen one, but by the time I have the money, they'll be out.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hold on.. your going to get focal utopia's.... AND a 17 pyle screen? something just isn't right ....

I would strongly go against what you are trying to do with the resistor... the resistor will heat and start to slowly make your speakers distort... which imo is a waste if you are getting utopias...

I would reccomend getting a more powerful amp... preferabley at least a four channel amp/two two channels (something six channels would be ideal) to run that one set of 3 ways compnonents

oh and 800 bucks for those components are a steal, Hop on that!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Pyle was the largest HD (High Resolution) Flip Down that I could find. I know they aren't the best quality but it's still a nice piece of equipment. I might look at getting something smaller and higer quality...only time will tell. As for the Focals I can't wait to get those hooked up in my ride. The RMS on them are 100watts and my amp will be pushing 130watts to ecah channel at 4ohm stereo. I think that will push them fine for now. Down the road I might get a more powerful amp. Thanks for the info on the resistors. I knew it couldn't be all that great especially because there were only like $16.95 for a set. Cheap!!! Plus I know I souldn't do anything that would compromise the integrity of my Focals....
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oldest post in my "My Posts"....lol
Dayum.....good times...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ wow.. ok glad you mentioned how old the thread was with your last post....
I was about to say something about finding a resistor that could handle the power you were thinking of putting thru it would probably be the size of a presto-log...lol

oh well..

Quick Reply: Speaker Ohm Resistors. Does any one know where to find them?