Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Static/feedback when sub hits..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Static/feedback when sub hits..

I have an L7 kicker w/ a performance teknique 2000 watt mono amp with the stock head unit. When i have the sub on, i get a feedback or static sound from the speakers. I have an RCA adapter that i used to connect directly to my rear speakers, which is then connected to the amp. I have checked to make sure the speaker wire is not touching the power/ground wires, because i kno that can cause feedback sounds.

Does anybody else w/ a stock head unit have the same problem? when ihave a CD playing it works fine but when the radio is on, static.

any ideas would be great!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What wire did you use on the factory harness for your remote turn on for the amp?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you mean for the remote base ****? it is a telephone wire that connects to the amp and then runs to my seat.

The amp power is hooked up to a switch that I have, i can turn the sub on or off. There are no wires going to the factory harness, i use that RCA converter, i connected the L and R from both rear speakers and connect it to the Hi-Lo converter, then RCA to amp. I made sure the power and ground are not touching the RCA or the speakerwire that connects the speakers to the converter.

what is strange is that it only makes the noise when the radio is on.

thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What i meant was the wire that turns the amp on and off with the car. Not the heavy guage power wire or the ground but the amp turn on wire. The reason i asked was maybe you had the amp turn on wire hooked to the wire that turns the antenna amplifier on, ans the amp maybe was drawing power away from the antenna causing static, which is why it only does it on the FM and not the CD. So where is the amp turn on wire hooked to?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the turn on cable is connected to the actual port on the amp, ran down to a switch by my door, back to the actual Power connecter. the amp stays on unless the switch is breaking the connection. Do you kno where the antenna amp is located? you are not referring to the remote bass **** right? but the actual amp that powers the radio antenna?

If you can let me know where that is located then i can see if maybe the remote power cable is touching that amp cable or something else.

Since i do not get the feedback w/ Cd, its safe to say that its not the RCA adapter right?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danman2_2999
the turn on cable is connected to the actual port on the amp, ran down to a switch by my door, back to the actual Power connecter. the amp stays on unless the switch is breaking the connection. Do you kno where the antenna amp is located? you are not referring to the remote bass **** right? but the actual amp that powers the radio antenna?

If you can let me know where that is located then i can see if maybe the remote power cable is touching that amp cable or something else.

Since i do not get the feedback w/ Cd, its safe to say that its not the RCA adapter right?
What power connector is is the amp wire hooked into and where? It's not hooked to the battery correct? Im not sure where the antenna amp is, i will research and find it thou. No throw the RBK ( remote bass ****) out of your mind, thats not what were dealing with, but yes to the actual antenna amp. I would say its not the LOC( line out converter or RCA adapter), but you never know, welcome to car stereo and all its glorious fun. Let me know where the turn on wire for the actually is hooked up and gets it's power and i'll check on the antenna amp location for you.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also when you ran your power through your car (most likely through the gromit in the firewall and down through the floor" make sure you didnt run the power wire along next to the wire harnesses in your car. otherwise it will pick up electircal static from them. hope i helped
Old 04-23-2006, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Radio 12v
blue/yellow
+
radio harness

Radio Ground white/black - radio harness
Radio Ignition gray + radio harness
Radio Illumination green + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
Power Antenna black/red + radio harness
LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - blue +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- black - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness

Interface Modules
Smart Starter Kill Relays

what people want to know is did u tie in to the black red wire behind the radio
Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by H8me

what people want to know is did u tie in to the black red wire behind the radio
Thankyou, but i dont think he did from what he has said. I have never checked this but, does the power antenna wire with the factory radio, turn off when you switch from Fm to CD. If it does lose power when it goes from FM to CD then this wire is not the problem. ????
Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ihave never pulled a radio out of an xb
im doing an alarm /remote start today so ill check.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the antenna power wire is only hot when on AM/FM on
Old 04-23-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the remote turn on wire goes from the amp, making a loop to my seat where it connects to aswitch, then loops back to the amp, where it gets its power from the actual Power connector where the 4 gauge power wire connects to the amp. It shares the port. This way the amp will stay on always, because it is getting its power from itself, unless of course the switch is breaking the current.

Nothing at all touched the rear of the head unit, i didnt want to touch it. The RCA adapter is in the back....and i tapped into the rear speakers.

Also, i ran the power Underneath the car, and comes up into the car through right where the extra tire sits.

It seems like the RCA adapter wouldnt be causing the problem just because the sub hits fine w/o static with a CD
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im really not sure than as to what the problem is, i would need to have the car in front of me so i could troubleshoot the problem. I'll do so more thinking on the matter and see if i can come up with more idea's. But who need's FM anyways, when you got an MP3 player in dash. I'll let you know if i come up with any thing.