Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stebel air horn installation help (Updated 11/15 w/video!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stebel air horn installation help (Updated 11/15 w/video!)

My friend had an old Stebel air horn (GP2) set that we tried to install on my car (Scion xB). It's composed of an electric air compressor, two horns, and the connecting tubes. He did not have a relay (but it should have one). So we hooked it up but it didn't work. I've attached a crappy diagram of how we installed it.

I'm guessing the relay is needed, or maybe the compressor died somehow. Given the information and specs of the horn kit, what parts do I need to get this working? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

Stop using now. A compressor can draw WAY too much amperage for the horn circuit.

you need to hook a relay to the current horn circuit and use that to switch a new power line to the compressor.

Take a look here for decent instruction:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/air_...rn_wiring.html
Old 11-04-2006, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonnyp
Stop using now. A compressor can draw WAY too much amperage for the horn circuit.

you need to hook a relay to the current horn circuit and use that to switch a new power line to the compressor.

Take a look here for decent instruction:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/air_...rn_wiring.html
I left everything mounted but I reconnected the stock horns...still works. I read through that guy's instructions and I made note of this part:

ISO (Bosch) Standard Automotive Relay
The horn compressor draws nearly 20 amps, which is a lot of current. A relay is needed to protect the stock horn switch and wiring. If it's not used then the horn will not be nearly as loud due to the resistance of the small wire, and there's a good chance of burning up the wiring or spark-welding the switch contacts together.

These are standard 4 or 5 pin relays packaged in a 1" cube with a small mounting tab. They're available at most auto parts stores. If it has a 5th pin (87a), it may be either a duplicate output pin tied to pin 87 or a reverse of the output pin as in the circuit diagram below. There's usually no way of telling from the retail packaging. Other than that, the pin configuration is standard. A 4-pin model is fine for this application. One of these is supplied with the Wolo horn kit.

Putting a small current across terminals 85 & 86 energizes the coil, which then pulls in the pole that connects the common pin 30 to the output pin 87, and disconnects pin 87a if it exists. Note that these are standard pin IDs. This style relay is usually rated for 30 amps, which gives us a comfortable margin.
So I need a four-pin relay rated for 30 amps, got it. I also found this diagram from another thread here:

It looks like that's what I'll go off of, the only difference being I won't be splitting the wire from #87 on the relay since I have only one connection to the compressor.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

i used did that concept, used the horn circuit to the relay, and power to the relay for the compressor, however, those style compressors have a tendancy to die, im on my second, honestly, get somthing better!! i want to get rid of mine!!! sounds like my car is dying!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm buying a different air horn setup just in case the compressor is dead. It's a PITA to remove the front fascia!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Stebel air horn installation help

Check my profile and you'll see mine installed. Mine are chrome since I used to have them on the radiator guard of my ACE1100.

1st things 1st, try the compressor just off the battery. It should wind up and blow. If it doesn't, then it's time to go shopping. Mine was on my scoot for a couple years, sat around the garage for a year or more, and now is installed and working just fine. It's a Fiamm.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

are these horns loud? like illegal loud? cause that's what i'm looking for.

actually i'm looking at www.hornblasters.com
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are around 120 db which is plenty loud. I described them on my scoot as loud enough to make the soccer mom drop her cell phone AND her latte.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the relay today at Pep Boys for $3, got the other various connectors and it works great! I disconnected the stock horns because it doesn't sound right together, plus the stock horns go off slightly sooner.

I drove around with the front fascia removed and that **** was loud!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Actually, I'm looking to do a horn job on my new '06 xB too. The stock horn is way too wimpy--last night I actually had to *veer*!

Wolo (http://www.wolo-mfg.com) has quite a few horns, and their kinda inexpensive. I'm worried they won't last. Of course, at the price it shouldn't matter. They have a couple of small compressor-type ones that say they're plug'n'play for electrics? Anyone have any experiences with these?

How much current is the xB horn circuit good for, anyway?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Wolo kit comes with everything you need except the wiring. I used 14 gauge wire and various connectors from Home Depot (butt connectors, ground connectors, female connectors). Follow the instructions on the Wolo kit because I actually had to rewire it due to a bad ground (sand the paint where you want to ground it).
Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yep^^^ wolo kit has it, but it sounds like...ummm...

"when do the clowns hop out?"
Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default Wolo Air Horn

Well, I was thinking of the Wolo "Bad Boy" (described at http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm), for which the description states: "Installs in minutes by simply transferring the factory horn wires to the compressor."

However, the sound is a bit too high-pitched and tinny--love Wolo's sound samples--so I'm thinking about getting one of the bigger horns with the separate compressor, or one of the "Extreme" horns (http://www.wolo-mfg.com/xtreme.htm), which Wolo says are "designed for the new craze of sport import and performance vehicles."

Question is, can I work it off of the current horn circuit, or do I have to create a new circuit and link it with the horn swith with a relay?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

haven't heard those, but i'll check it out. I was referring to the standard pep-boys special
Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member

Actually, I went to see Manny, Moe, and Jack today. They had both of these in stock, but the "Bad Boy" Wolo was $10 more than the list price on Wolo's site!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Wolo Air Horn

Originally Posted by Neitsdelf
Well, I was thinking of the Wolo "Bad Boy" (described at http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm), for which the description states: "Installs in minutes by simply transferring the factory horn wires to the compressor."

However, the sound is a bit too high-pitched and tinny--love Wolo's sound samples--so I'm thinking about getting one of the bigger horns with the separate compressor, or one of the "Extreme" horns (http://www.wolo-mfg.com/xtreme.htm), which Wolo says are "designed for the new craze of sport import and performance vehicles."

Question is, can I work it off of the current horn circuit, or do I have to create a new circuit and link it with the horn swith with a relay?
Go to http://www.stebel.it for better sound samples, horns of the same size sound pretty much the same. You can use the current horn circuit, but I had to cut both wires and run those to a relay (provided in the horn kit). You'll understand everything with the instructions they give you in the kit.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cvrefugee
Yeah, I'm buying a different air horn setup just in case the compressor is dead. It's a PITA to remove the front fascia!
you should get a wolo air horn setup... get the air splitter.. i found it online for 13 bucks.. two black plastic trumpets, red compressor, works great... ill post pix of my setup its one off, and guarenteed more stable than yours...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

where are you guys mounting these horns? any drilling required?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sandwich
where are you guys mounting these horns? any drilling required?
I mounted mine where the CAI goes, right behind the driver's side foglight area. I used existing holes to mount everything.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

a local shop mounted mine like yours, they used a little flimsy piece of flat angled metal...

zpi took care of me and fabbed up a custom steel piece, and mounted it up... no more rattle and loud as a mother...

Quick Reply: Stebel air horn installation help (Updated 11/15 w/video!)