Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock headunit with MB speakers and kicker 800.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member

Default Stock headunit with MB speakers and kicker 800.4

I decided to remove my aftermarket headunit and subs tonight, and just run a 4 channel amp using the stock headunit.

Using the stock harness and headunit, I ran the speaker wires out of the back of the headunit to the kicker amp which has speaker level inputs. I tapped into the ignition wire to run my remote to the amp. On the smaller of the plugs in the back of the headunit there is a white wire with a green stripe...this wire is a completely mystery.

When everything is connected...both the radio and the amp come on...but no signal is being sent through the wires to the amp. If I disconnect the speaker level inputs, and plug them back in...everything comes on and works fine. I can turn the radio off and on, and everything works.

Now here is the issue...if I turn the car completely off, and then turn the car back on...once again no signal is being transferred to the kicker amp. Once again, if I unplug the inputs, and plug them right back in...all works well. It is not a bad connection either.

I think I have a case of the gremlins personally.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing some key thing in the harness here, Is there some wire which is forcing the stock headunit's internal amp to go into protection mode, until it is cycled when I unplug and plug back in?

I've used the search, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Everyone seems to being going the route of changing the speaker level inputs to RCA...I see no benefit...in either sound quality or price, especially when my amp supports them in its native form.

Someone please help, I have a trip in the morning, and as of now I have no radio.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

you will get more help here
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member

well, i've been looking...and according to every diagram I find...and everything someone has done before, i did everything properly...

this is far from my first install... but this headunit is killing me.