Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sub Question for new xB owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Sub Question for new xB owner

Hey! I just recently purchased my 06 xb. I want to start upgrading it a little and wanted to hear your opinions on an item.

I found this sub on crutchfield.com It's a Scosche custom-fit subwoofer enclosure with 10" sub and the link is here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IlRp6oP...30&I=142SCXB04

Please give me your honest opinion about it before I buy it. I want to put something in there but I don't want to lose the space and this seems perfect. I don't need anything major thumping just something with a nice kick.

Thanks in Advance!!

Devon
Old 02-14-2006, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out Audioformz stuff. They make a very clean fiberglass enclosure for the area. A little more money, but I think it looks ten times better than that one.

http://www.audioformz.com/xbenc.asp

I use their enclosure in my car and love it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That autoformz one is sweet! Has anyone tried the carpeted drop in one for the xB off of eBay? Here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my honest opion on the box situation from a guy who installs car stereo's everday for a living and owns a B. The autoformz fiberglassed boxes are the bomb, cause not only can you get a sub enclosure for the passenger side, but you can get a drivers side fiberglassed amp rack. These two items or one of them by themselves an awsome pick, great for shows and meets, but not practical if you want to use the space for anything other than show. You would not want to put any wear and tear on those enclosures for fear of cracking or dinging the fiberglass. As for the scosche box, it would put up with more abuse on a daily basis, it looks like its plastic, draw back is it may not sound that good and you may want more bass then you think depending on what you listen to, beleive me ive put good subs in 60 yr old mens cars before cause they where missing alot of low end notes with there stock systems. As for the ebay carpeted box, best idea for the daily abuse, plus if you can find a sub with the same air space as what the box is(or some polyfill to make it seem bigger), you would get a nice clean, tight bass ,great for any music. Just get a good sturdy grill to go on the sub, so if you ever had to put something next to or on top of the sub,and you dont put a hole in it. Do you have an amp yet, if not i can give you a few good ideas on that or any thing else with the stereo. Sorry this is so long but i wanted to give my honest opion.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The Audioformz box is the best bet I have seen and I have one myself. Ronnie has some nice grills for it and I have loaded stuff on top of it with no ill effects. They sound great too! I used a Diamond 10" that I got from him also. You would be hard pressed to crack the Audioformz box since it is very thick and strong. You could scratch the paint if you abused it, but if you got one I'm sure you would take care of it. They seem pricey, but when you see what goes into one you will realize it is quite the bargain. Give Ronnie a call and he might have some deals going on.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Very Informative! Due to that I am just adding on to the stock Radio, Don't have much cash, and want to keep the back very useable with access to the spare, AND will be covered all the time so people can't see it. The one on eBay offers a 8, 10 or 12 inch hole for the sub. What do you recommend there?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default under seat sub enclosure

See the link below. I went with neckbonenick's under seat sub enclosure. It hits pretty hard. I have a 10" down firing sub under the passenger seat and it is very nice. It doesn't shake the passenger seat any more than anywhere else.

The whole rear area is still open. I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=audioformz
Old 02-15-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to take away from NeckboneNick, but his prices are a little high compared to what else is out in the market. I can't speak to the quality of any of the pieces personally, but Nick's enclosures do look quite nice.

However, Quarter Wave Designs has quite a few offerings through Elegonics at better pricing.

If I wanted to keep "stealth" and maintain use of my Cargo area I would go with this...

http://www.elegonics.com/quarterwave.../DF_QD_XB.html

Then I would load that enclosure with a Diamond Audio DS10D4 sub. (Formerly TM3 or CM3 10" dual 4 ohm subwoofer.) And I would power it with something like a JL Audio e1200.

If you aren't hung up on warranties you can get everything shipped to your door for under $350 by shopping online.