Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

SUB WIRING SUGGESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SUB WIRING SUGGESTIONS

Ive got a infinity kappa perfect 10d vq in a sealed box and a kenwood kac-7201
2 channel amp bridged to the sub.
is there any better way to wire this setup?
thanx.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you unbridge the amp you will loose power. Just leave it wired like it is and install.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: SUB WIRING SUGGESTIONS

Originally Posted by Peter_Rabbit
Ive got a infinity kappa perfect 10d vq in a sealed box and a kenwood kac-7201
2 channel amp bridged to the sub.
is there any better way to wire this setup?
thanx.
I am guessing that the sub is a dual 4 ohm subwoofer, correct? Also I see that the amp is only stable to 4 ohms in mono. How do you have the voice coils wired on the subwoofer? If they are wired in series (positive of coil 1 to positive on amp. Negative of coil 1 to positive of coil 2, and negative of coil 2 to amplifier negative) you won't extract all of the power from the amp, but you won't fry it either. Now if you have the coils in parallel (coil positives to amp positive and coil negatives to amp negative) you could be in for trouble as the amp isn't rated for that low of an impedence. Your best option if the sub is a dual 4 ohm sub would be to either 1) add another sub of the exact same model OR 2) get an amp that's stable to 2 ohms in mono. Mark
Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RaginCajun
If you unbridge the amp you will loose power. Just leave it wired like it is and install.
Seriously, don't give advice like this without more information. You have no idea to the details of the install based on his post so it's impossible to just say "leave it". Mark
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sreiously.....if he wanted good advise he wouldnt ask it here. He would take it to an audio shop. Im sure your advice is great but Im also sure he wont understand it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm with Mark on this one (and others). There's too much random, incomplete, or just flat out incorrect advice given on the boards.

I know people want to help but if the advice is wrong or incomplete it can be much worse than no advice at all.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

POWER RATINGS
- Bridged Power Output at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 460 Watts x 1
- Maximum Output Power: 800 Watts
- Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 230 Watts x 2
- Power Output at 4 Ohms, at 14.4V (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD): 150 Watts x 2
Well, by bridging it you get more power, but a LOT more noise (.8% va .08%)
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd suggest a different amp... one that's capable of 500x1 @ 2ohm mono....
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im with chadfo and mark. however, you might wan to consider this, if your sub is DVC(dual voice coil) and your amp is two channel, you could wire each voice coil to an individual channel(like you were running two speakers) that way youre not running your amp less than 2ohms. like mark said though, if you run that sub in parallel, youll fry that amp and bam, there goes your dough. best bet, get another sub and run them both in series and then parallel the leads so that the amp sees a 4ohm load or just run the SINGLE speaker with both voice coils to their own channel. good luck.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cadaver
im with chadfo and mark. however, you might wan to consider this, if your sub is DVC(dual voice coil) and your amp is two channel, you could wire each voice coil to an individual channel(like you were running two speakers) that way youre not running your amp less than 2ohms. like mark said though, if you run that sub in parallel, youll fry that amp and bam, there goes your dough. best bet, get another sub and run them both in series and then parallel the leads so that the amp sees a 4ohm load or just run the SINGLE speaker with both voice coils to their own channel. good luck.
Wiring each coil to a single channel is, powerwise, the exact same as running both coils in parallel to a single channel or to bridge the amp with the coils in series. Plus you get the added bonus of screwing up the sub due to the fact that in a stereo amp there is the potential for the coils moving in different directions. That would be bad so please don't do that. Either get another sub or a different amp. Done. Mark
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^ I stand corrected. just ou t of curiosity, why do some folks, here and at other audio forums, give the suggestion to run both coils on a 2 channel? i didnt realize there was potential for different phasing on each coil.-thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cadaver
^^^^^ I stand corrected. just ou t of curiosity, why do some folks, here and at other audio forums, give the suggestion to run both coils on a 2 channel? i didnt realize there was potential for different phasing on each coil.-thanks
That's not to say that you can't run both coils on a 2 channel amp, I just wouldn't recommend it for a person without the tools or knowhow. If they are receiving the same signal at the same amplitude you're fine. As I see it it's a heck of a lot easier to either run one stereo channel at 2 ohms or a bridged mono channel at 8 ohms. Quite frankly to set gains to the optimum levels you would want to use an oscilloscope with a variety of frequencies to set the amps at their absolute maximum levels without clipping. This is also where having adequate headroom (extra power) really works in your favor. You really wanna have fun setting gains and stuff? Start strapping multiple amplifiers on to quad coil subs. 8 amps and 1 sub, too fun! Mark
Old 05-16-2006, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^works for me. i think ill go with the mono. now that 1 sub on multiamps sounds interesting to see!