Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofer Boxes and Amps questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Subwoofer Boxes and Amps questions

I would like to now if you would put a bandpass or regular box in the xb, also have any of you heard of Dual amps as in the company name. Also what type of sub do you suggest, JL,Audiobahn etc. Any help would be appreciated.

John
Old 06-02-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I wouldn't suggest bandpass because they take up more space and give you a limited range of sound. Plus if the box isn't just right you'll get all kinds of funny sounds.

As far as subs go, everyone has their own opinion. I'm a recent convert to Elemental designs. You can't beat the quality and SPL for the money. I'm running two 13Ov.2s (12") powered by a Nine.1 amp and it is just incredible. The sound is clean and smooth at all levels.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

From what Ive heard Dual is junk.Im running 2 Alpine 12" type r subs in a ported box and a Kenwood amp. It's decent.(just until I save up enough money for a Jl w7.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bandpass enclosures are very efficient (less watts input for more SPL output) if built exactly to spec. however, they have very tight tolerances and can be messed up extremely easily....most of the time, they're used for either SPL or Rap music.....rock doesn't USUALLY sound good with them at all.....I'd suggest a good sealed or ported enclosure....

Dual is indeed junk....there are alot of great brands for subs and amps out right now.....look and compare untill you find something you like.....maybe:
JL Audio, Elemental Design, Resonant Engineering, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, TREO, Memphis, MTX, Kicker, Boston Acoustics, Eclipse, ummm....there are others....just shop around...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the main line question is how much is your budget and what kind sound do u want? do u want SPL or just SQ... start off from there... if budget is not a thing then u wouldn't have much problems choosing the "best" combination...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's no such thing as "best" in car audio equipment....there's too many factors that can jar decisions one way or another....plus alot of people call their favorites the "best"....it all in opinion....
Old 06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's no such thing as "best" in car audio equipment....there's too many factors that can jar decisions one way or another....plus alot of people call their favorites the "best"....it all in opinion....
this is true that's why i wrote best with ""... cuz every listeners have different ears and preferences... what might be good sounding for me might be different to yours... thats why it is always important to audition each product first before buying not unless u have the cash to spare...

what i suggest is
1. determine the set-up u like (SPL/SQ)
2. budget
3. audition the products u have in mind
4. ask for opinions but the final decision is still yours
*very important DO NOT RUSH INTO SOUND SET-UP
Old 06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok.....thanks for the clarification....good point...definitely don't rush into the purchase either!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I once used a Dual Sub to make bass gravy.

It was awesome.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when dealing with audio, there is good, better and best. it all depends on what you want.

i have the Dual 200W HU, 460W amp and dual-12" subs and for me its fine. i'm not looking to enter competitions or set off car alarms so it works. plus it was inexpensive. i would rate it a little more than good, but there are better systems.

listen to whatever system you're interested in first and make the decision if it's what you want. i was shocked when i heard the duals and called a couple guys to see what their take was (since i'd never heard of it) and they said it was an okay brand, and when they heard it installed they were not disappointed.

i got the HU, amp, 2-subs, install kits/harnesses and a nice warranty for what most would pay for an amp & 1 sub. and to me it sounds just like i want it.

it's up to you to decide. research different systems and get what you like and can afford.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually setting up a system is not based on the brand name... it is how the sound quality is... though u can use lower end brands for your set-up, u must also consider its durability and performance quality... it may serve its purpose for now but until when?
a decent set-up could last you for as long as you want provided u dont abuse it... its an investment if you would...
Old 06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to learn more from other sound gurus, try going to www.kotseaudioclub.com the people from this forum really knows what they are talking about....
even the great scott buwalda is a member...