Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofer for xA questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member

Default Subwoofer for xA questions

I'm not experienced with vehicle audio setups, but i'm looking to possibly install a subwoofer into my rs 1.0 xA. The stock sound quality for me is ok overall, i'm not a big stickler for sound, happy that it plays my mp3's, but i want a little more power in the bass so some of my heavier songs don't sound as muddled in my car.

Basically what I want is
Something practical
I don't need to be able to knock down pedestrians with a booming thunder of bass, just give a better sound to my music.

small
I don't haul a lot of stuff, but i don't want to devote too much space in my xA's umm... trunk, if you can really call it that...

Economical
hrm... i think a better phrase would be "why pay more?" i have budgeted about $800 right now of play money on my car. however i don't wanna spend it all on just audio equipment.

Suggestions of brands, models, or setups or just what i could do would be very helpful. Thanks for the idea

and if it helps the type of music i listen to is a very wide range from classical music, to rock, jazz, and latin, so i guess what i'm saying is something that is useful for all types of music.

also dunno if subs are as sensitive as other electronic gear about the weather, but i'm livin' in new england, and it's COLD outside

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

infinity basslink. look it up.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default XA bass

You should be able to get away with an 8 or 10" woofer given your wants. A small amp 250 watts or less should be more than enough. I hope you get what you are looking for. So many people want to sell big systems and they don't listen to the customers needs. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: XA bass

Originally Posted by Boom12V
So many people want to sell big systems and they don't listen to the customers needs. Good luck.
very true...

a single sub for most cars suffice... try a single 10 or 12 and a prefab box... which should be no more then ~200, maybe kenwood or pioneer a small amp to power it, could be around 100 - 175, and wires... 20 -50 bucks install it yourself to save a couple of more bucks...

try crutchfield, a setup that should add a thump if you don't need overwhelming bass... becareful however, bass gets addictive...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xvfjyR1...10&I=575PL1112
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xvfjyR1...10&I=575PL1112

and that still leaves money for some drop springs =D
Old 12-31-2004, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based upon what you have mentioned, you should look into an 8" sub like the Crystal CMP 8, RE 8 and perhaps the DD1008. All are good subs, will do what you want, and are not that expensive. The Crystal CMP 8 can get incredibly loud for an 8, while still providing great bass and quality. You would need an enclosure for them, of course.

Most of the requests we get for bass systems now adays seems to be going in the "smaller, more affordable, yet still satisfying" range that you have basically outlined, especially for the xA and xB, especially as the tecnology of subwoofers and enclosures advance.

The basslink is a standalone system, as mentioned, that is also an option, although I have never personally used one so cannot accurately provide any comment on them.

Just suggestions. I don't get out here as much as I would like anymore so feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Matt