Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Suggestions on best in dash all-in-one DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I also like the Pioneer's Steering wheel remote...

Pioneer CD-SR1 Steering Wheel Remote Control for AVIC-Z1

Features:

* This remote is designed to be used with the AVIC-Z1. It includes both Bluetooth and Voice Command keys.
* The Easiest Place To Control Your Headunit Operation Is Right Where Your Hands Are - On The Steering Wheel!
* Simply Mounts Onto Steering Wheel For Convenient Fingertip Control Of All Pioneer Headunit Features (That Support Remote Control)

$21.50 +13.75sh on ebay
link
Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had my steering wheel remote for years and Ive always loved it, awesome some investment
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do any of these work with the steering wheel audio controls on the '06?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

I installed an Eclipse avn5500 in an 06 XA and the steering controls are a direct connect. Since the steering control harness is identical on my avn6600, my assumption is that the 6600 will also work with the steering controls.

As a side note, it is a real bummer that my girlfriend's xa is an 06 and my xb is an 05. I so wish that I had the steering wheel from an 06. It would also be nice if eclipse would make a steering remote like the pioneer one. I used to own a pioneer premier HU and the steering remote was awesome. It provided full control over the radio.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah - that optional steering wheel remote is a big consideration for me too. I have an 04 and will need it.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 5495 is Sirius Ready. And I can't vouch for the Ipod part.. ours wouldnt work right. The 5435 Will bolt right in just need a Metra 95-8202 Dash kit, It has the Toyota Plugs on the back. Thanks to ProshopXB and violent_xb for this lil how-to with the unit. Steering Wheel controls will work with the Eclipse also. This is because Fajitsu Ten is 1/3 owned by Toyota Motor Corp and also Denso Electronics. This is why they look very similar to the Camery Nav or the Nav found in Lexus.

I own a AVIC-D1. Love it, have a PS2 hooked up for DVD and Games. When going for a new unit, I am getting the Z1 just because it rips at 4X and also has bluetooth. For a performace unit, the Eclipse has the Eclipse Security Network and also 5Volt Pre-outputs.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

[quote="Forklift"]
Originally Posted by jayse
What about the Eclipse?

If I had the cash Id do the Z1, but the IWA-200 Alpine is really nice if you dont wanna burn cds to a hard drive and dont need the navi
Why would you think that the IVA-W200 does not do nav? You can use either the NVE-852 or the new Blackbird. I am using the IVA-W200 in my F250 and will either order another for my xA or put another Alpine deck in the F250 with the IVA-W200 in the xA since it will be my main commuter car and use the Blackbird with the docking station between both vehicles.

I definitely give the IVA-W200 2 really big thumbs up...
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it does do nav, but you need a box thats $1300 retail to do it. For that difference alone your into the Z1 territory and ID much rather have it still. But another option with the Alpine would be the much chaper Blackbird and its docking cradle for about $8-950 total retail, but your losing about 9 million points of interest and alot of other navi parts but gaining a part time moblie nav that can be used in other vehicles
Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member

Is it possible to get the steering wheel controls to work with the Jensen model? Also, where should I go for installation? I don't want to get ripped off like I do at the mechanics, and I've heard some shady things about BestBuy and Circuit City..
Old 05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think theres a Cartoys in your area, and yes you can get it to work, you need a piece called a SWI-X
Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frontheadlock
I've heard some shady things about BestBuy and Circuit City..
What do you mean shady things? Should be a straight forward install. Dashkit, wire harness and labor.

Also either soundgate or PAC make the Steering Wheel Interface Adaptor, though the Eclipse Units will bolt right in and still give you control. (toyota plugs on back of unit 5435)
Old 05-26-2006, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member

Exactly! What is it that you mean by you heard shady things? There is always a good car audio install shop and a bad car audio install shop just like anything else. I started out as backyard installer doing my own systems then did friends. Went to work for Circuit City, ran a shop for 2 years managed another for 3 years and in that time frame competed on the IASCA car audio circuit. Took 7th in Sound Quality and then 3 in Sound quality Plus all while working at a CC. I left CC to do Tech Support for a/d/s/ Car Audio for 6 years and doing custom home theater systems. Are there bad installers out there at CC. Sure but then again there are bad installers at the local brick and mortar stores also. The first vehicle that I didn't do was my wife's Excursion because (A) it didn't fit in my garage because of the lift plus it was getting a complet a/v system with nav and alarm/remote start. I ended up having to fix things that they screwed up. Was it a CC? No it was a local brick and mortar shop that didn't hear a blown mid and then had the front left and rear right tweeters swapped. How do you ask? Beats the heck out of me.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Find good installers not "good stores" =)
Old 05-26-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the RS3.0 and I would love to get the alpine double din
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what you mean PatM, I have worked at both CC and BB and I was usually the most knowledgable person there, but I still trusted and knew the other guys. The problem with big stores like CC and BB is that everybody has heard of them. If Bobs Custom Car Stereo and T-shirts in Pokipsie Kansas does a bad job and 2000 people hear about it on the forums and 5 people know where its at and remember. Now lets say Circuit City does a bad job and the same 2000 people hear it , but everyone of those knows CC and rememembers, see the problem?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Another question - I've heard the Pioneer's are hard to make movies play while driving. In other words - it's not just grounding it - it actually has a motion detector or some such that prevents it from playing while driving? Anyone know if that's the case on the Avic Z1?

Thanks!

// jayse
Old 06-01-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a simple little trick to do and it will disable the video lockout feature
Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i figured... but... dear forklift... what would that be?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to www.avic411.com to be certain, but I think you have to send a + to the illumination wire for 3-4 seconds after the unit comes on but before the boot up screen turns off and it will unlock the video. If Im not mistaken
Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

you the man - that's awesome - apparently just turn your lights on and off right as it's booting and you're done. :-)

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

Thanks man, much appreciated. Awesome avic forum!!

// jayse

Quick Reply: Suggestions on best in dash all-in-one DVD player?