Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Switches for Switch Panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bomber 1
ccsshhhhh, Bomber 1 to Mother Hen, Come in Mother Hen. ccsshhhhh
Originally Posted by Mother Hen
ccsshhhhh, Go ahead Bomber 1, this is Mother Hen. ccsshhhhh
ccsshhhhh, Requesting permission to fire on a 99 Ford Bronco in the left hand lane.ccsshhhhh
Originally Posted by Mother Hen
ccsshhhhh, Permission granted. Lock, load, fire when ready.ccsshhhhh
ccsshhhhh, Direct hit, returning to home base.ccsshhhhh
Old 12-24-2004, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default Install...?

what is the easyiest way to install the toggle switch. I was going to start but i thought that i would ask the guys that have done it already. If someone could help me that would be great
Old 12-28-2004, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I highly recommend these switches! They are just great for anything!!!!!!! Thanks mikochu!
Old 01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't believe when I posted these for all to see that it would be that big a deal but I have had more PM's about these things than anything else. I'm glad I could actually contribute something to the board. I have a question about them though. Has anyone figured a way to mark them yet to tell which side is off and on?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xbbox
I think this is what he's talking about.
i put a similar one with the billet switch with no cover..when i open the door above it, it turns my switch on..cool mod..but i dont want it to hit or turn it on when i open the door.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to Lowes today and could not find the Gardner Bender switches. I did manage to find a switch made by "Ideal". The part # is 774045. I believe it is the same exact switch as the GSW-45. Cost was 4.48 each.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Install...?

Originally Posted by huricansplyr2
what is the easyiest way to install the toggle switch. I was going to start but i thought that i would ask the guys that have done it already. If someone could help me that would be great
its not hard at all. ill do a little example for you using a neon light tube in teh XB. first take ur dash apart. ( one screw under the right and left gray ac *****, then pull the entire center out.) then remove the cubby hole lower portion of the center dash that is still there. once you pull it out disconnect the plug powering the cigg. lighter. on the cigg lighter the black wire is 12v positive, and the white is ground. ( this struck me as odd ). next splice one wire into each wire running to the cigg ligher. one wire to the black one, one wire to the white one. ...next run the power wire ( on thats spliced into black) to one side of the switch. doesnt matter what side. okay now you are ready to hook up the light. cut the ciggarete adapter off the end of your neon ( if you are using one of those cheep autozone ones) , then determine which end is positive and which end is negative, i wasnt sure on a great way to do this so i just touched the wires to positive and negative from the wires i had spliced into the cigg lighter until it came on. okay now splice the power wire on the neon to the other spot on the switch, and attach the negative wire on the neon to the wire you spliced into the white wire on the cigg ligher. that should be it
Old 03-13-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jmarks1998
I couldn't believe when I posted these for all to see that it would be that big a deal but I have had more PM's about these things than anything else. I'm glad I could actually contribute something to the board. I have a question about them though. Has anyone figured a way to mark them yet to tell which side is off and on?
Bringing this one back up...

I always just remember "Right On" when mounting switches horizontally. Mount them so that it's "Left Off" and "Right On".

Heading to Lowe's to pick up a couple of these myself.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

you might want to run a power wire from the battery with a inline fusable link
instead of tapping off the cig lighter
i tapped off the radio power for my led underbody lights and now when i use the cig lighter it blows the fuse
Old 06-13-2005, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member

just picked up two of the GB gsw-45s and mounted them in the tC. Note about install: the switch is just a fraction of an inch (like 1/32) too wide for the opening. i used a dremel and shaved the openings a lil, not much. if u dont u may get the switch in but it will push out the sides of the opening and make the switch harder to turn on and off.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought a GB GSW-45 for my OEM fogs, since I bought them off of someone and they didn't have the switch. It fits extremely close to perfect and looks like OEM. I too bought it at Lowes for $4.31. Keep us posted about ideas on how to label these bad boys for the On/Off position. I have mine setup as [right = on] and [left = off].
Old 06-14-2005, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member

if u could find the gsw-49s they are lighted. perhaps find some small letter stickers. stick on what u want it to say then paint the rocker thats translucent red to opaque flat black. paint drys, peel the letters back off and now labeled and light up when on. just a thought.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anybody with an xA done this? I need to see how they fit... but I guess for $4 or $5, I can find out myself.

We xA guys put the switches in the normal up/down position!!! Yay!!!

Anywho... anyone labeled the switches and have them look nice?

-- Anthony N.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Anyone label the switches yet.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by raltiero
Anyone label the switches yet.
My fix for this was to install LED's in the switch that (obviously) are on when the switch is on. They look & work great, but the only problem I have now is that they are too bright at night, but I've got some ideas on how to tone them down a bit...going to try those in the next couple of days. If anyone wants to see pics of them installed, I'll take a few and post them.

On a side-note, I have the OEM foglights that are hooked up to an existing switch in the switchbank, but I wanted to change out that switch with one that I modified with an LED for a uniform look. The problem I ran into was that it appears both wires leading back to the current foglight switch are hot as no matter what wire I tapped the LED into, the LED always stayed on. I do know that if I switch my headlights to highbeams, the foglights turn off automatically, so maybe that has something to do with it? Can anybody offer advice on how to wire the OEM foglights to my new switch with the LED I installed? I'm using the Gardner Bender GSW-45 switches (in case you need to know).
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ebay 4x4 rocker switches

These are the ones I just ordered. I'm hoping you can further customise the labels. Will post more when they arrive.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kinetica
if u could find the gsw-49s they are lighted.
http://doityourself.com/store/3268422.htm

Just ordered 3 lighted 49's - see link above...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who'd a thunk! I also found my switches at Lowes as well. One thing I really like about them is , they seem to be of better quality, I bought 5 different swtches from Shucks (Chechers) and they lasted about a week It really ____ed me off, for one thing their switches are twice as much. Gawd talk about money wasted! I have had the Lowes switches in the Bb for about five months now and they still work fine. It is to bad that there are only five places for placement (this includes the two cutouts in the center console) I ran red LED's to each switch as they are always hot. It was in hopes of remembering to turn them off..........errr it kiinda works lol the cup led's have been left on for a full night or two
Bruce C.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by em-de-em
Originally Posted by Kinetica
if u could find the gsw-49s they are lighted.
http://doityourself.com/store/3268422.htm

Just ordered 3 lighted 49's - see link above...
Those don't look like they're lighted

Quick Reply: Switches for Switch Panel