Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Tach needle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tach needle stuck

The tach needle on my xB rests at 2000 after I shut it off. The needle then shows an extra 2000 rpm when it is running. What can I do to fix this?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you touch your needle? This happens when you dismantel the dash and forget to rest the needles where they need to be rested.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Did you touch your needle? This happens when you dismantel the dash and forget to rest the needles where they need to be rested.
No, I have never taking apart my dash. Just started sticking. I did change the air filter and disconnected a couple of hoses to do that. Would I have disturbed something there?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is a cure for this. A Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum.

Sounds fishey to me. Changing the air filter should have had no effect on the tach at all. Sounds like something you may want to have a service tech take a look see to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="über-xA-RS2"

Sounds fishey to me. Changing the air filter should have had no effect on the tach at all. Sounds like something you may want to have a service tech take a look see to diagnose the problem.[/quote]

I really didn't think it did.....I believe it is in the guage. I am so leary of a dealer screwing something else up or leaving me with a dash rattle, that I am afraid to let them touch it. But that may be my only choice.

By the way, is there an easier way to change the air filter? Did I have to disconnect a couple of hoses to change it?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I really didn't think it did.....I believe it is in the guage. I am so leary of a dealer screwing something else up or leaving me with a dash rattle, that I am afraid to let them touch it. But that may be my only choice.
That's another use for a 357 magnum. Kill the bad technicians.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by über-xA-RS2
That's another use for a 357 magnum. Kill the bad technicians.

Don't give me any ideas
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-13-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

You can probably easily fix this yourself, I did after screwing with the speedo a few times. THe needle gets a little loose, and you have to turn it COUNTER-clockwise to the right location. If you twist it CLOCKWISE, it just gets loose and goes back to its original location. SO just dismantle it easily, and then twist the needle back down to 0 when the car is off.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Grime
You can probably easily fix this yourself, I did after screwing with the speedo a few times. THe needle gets a little loose, and you have to turn it COUNTER-clockwise to the right location. If you twist it CLOCKWISE, it just gets loose and goes back to its original location. SO just dismantle it easily, and then twist the needle back down to 0 when the car is off.
How exactly do I take it apart?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you've never taken it apart, my advice would be to take it to the dealer because if you go taking this apart and end up breaking something, the dealer could refuse to help if they find you tampered with it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:59 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
If you've never taken it apart, my advice would be to take it to the dealer because if you go taking this apart and end up breaking something, the dealer could refuse to help if they find you tampered with it.
Yep, take it to the dealer.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Very easily. First you have to pop off the fake screw located above the clock, and then pop off the frame around the clock/speedo. Then you just push in three little black tabs snapping the glass onto the speedo (one on the top left, one on the top right, and one on the bottom, hidden), and the glass pops right off. You are then face to face with your bare speedo.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Very easily. First you have to pop off the fake screw located above the clock, and then pop off the frame around the clock/speedo. Then you just push in three little black tabs snapping the glass onto the speedo (one on the top left, one on the top right, and one on the bottom, hidden), and the glass pops right off. You are then face to face with your bare speedo.

hmmmm....I may just try that. Not any more scary that having some dealer klutz scratch up the dash and introduce some fun new rattles.

Thanks Grime!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no problem, and its a lot easier than going all the way to the dealer and waiting for hours.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem, and its a lot easier than going all the way to the dealer and waiting for hours.

Hey, I just took a drive and guess what?......the tach is fine now. I didn't do anything to it and it is back to normal.

I suppose it will happen again sometime, but as long as it works right most of the time, I am going to leave well enough alone.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Sean
Old 06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Things like this is why we have warranties... :D
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Things like this is why we have warranties... :D
Yeah, but the catch is you have to let some stranger who may or may not have the ablity to do the work without screwing it up or messing something else up on the car. Really more hassle than it is worth. Now if it were some major mechanical problem, I would of course take it to the dealer.

I am grateful that the xB has had such high quality that I haven't had the need to go to the dealer