Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC Speaker Installation from Crutchfield

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Speaker Installation from Crutchfield

So I know the speakers are riveted into the tC, and people who talked about replacing them in the past had to do things like make an MDF ring to mount them to. I was just checking crutchfield and when you go through the "what fits my vehicle" selector, you get one choice for front speakers and a bunch of choices for rear. The interesting part was this:

» Use the factory speaker grilles.
» A speaker adapter bracket is required. It is included free with your speaker purchase.
» Re-drill the mounting screw holes.
» Drill out rivets to remove the factory speakers.
» You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

I'm glad someone is not only figuring out what you have to do, but making adapters for us - if you haven't bought from Crutchfield in the past, let me just say they're pretty great. You can beat the prices, but the support and ease of working with them is amazing. They give you everything you need and they also send along install instructions specific to your vehicle, which is pretty cool.

Just thought someone might want to know.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i agree crutchfield is good.. been buying stuff from them since the early 90's.. never questioned about returns.. free shipping back.. i've been quite happy with them..

I talked to them a couple months ago, they said it was too early to get adapter rings and receiver install kits for the tC.. but to give it a couple months and the install companies would catch up.. glad they have!

you can probably find a cheaper price out there from some other places, but hey i know crutchfield better and they always have great service, i'm willing to pay $10 more for that!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Totally... When you get something for $20 less and then have to go out and buy a wiring harness for $25 and then you break something because you didn't have good instructions, it's not really that good of a deal. I hope that they get some really good aftermarket support for this car - I'd love to see what they start selling when things are really geared specifically for it - nice adapter setups are hard (for me) to fake, but easy for some manufacturer to put together.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I spoke with a Crutchfield rep last night about this and he said that it is indeed able to fit all three Scion models. He said the tC does do it a little differently, but the mounting kit is designed to be modified to fit either of the three vehicles.

I ordered it, so I'll let everyone know in a few days when I get it what I came up with.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice - keep us posted. It boggles my mind that Scion is all about customization and they still riveted in the speakers... I hope they had a reason other than rivets being really cheap.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its really not like rivets are that big of a deal... All you do is drill out the center and it pops out.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not that i can't get rid of a rivet - it's just that Scion riveting them in says to me that they don't ever expect you to do anything to your sound system - for a company that is so into people upgrading and personalizing their rides, they had to know that this wasn't true. If they had used screws, we could have upgraded without issue.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe they did use screws or bolts in the rear panel for the xb, not sure about the tc.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't looked, but AFAIK, all of the speakers are riveted.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i agree with gary.. they should've been screwed in.. but then again it always comes down to cost-analysis with toyota.. probably cheaper and quicker to pop rivet them in.. but hey cool part is crutchfield already did all the work.. and they'll include everything to get ya going, no experiementing with the car..
Old 01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have to vouch for Crutchfield as they are almost my next door neighbor. Their HQ is in C'ville VA.

Kevin
Old 01-14-2005, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

Ther rear speakers are bolted in.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a very different approach for any car maker to do, since many car owners who dont even care about there cars are into better audoi systems, but hey whats one flaw in a car! Besides rivets will never loosen!
i would rather use rivets on the aftermarket speakers than screws, ive had screws loosen up on my speakers before, but unless a rivet broke it never would, and you wont have to worry about stripping it.

also as far as crutchfield goes they are the best place to buy from, ive had great luck whenever ive dealt with them, even when i had them verify to my insurance that i had bought a stereo from them two years prior because it got stolen!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can vouch for them as well, but there speaker guide is wrong for the tc. With a spacer you can fit deeper 6.5 components in the front and 6.5 in the back