Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Tweeter placement -- I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default Tweeter placement -- I need some advice

Hey guys, I just bought the Polk MMC6500 component set and a Profile 4 channel amp (AP1040). I already have a Pioneer HU.

I was thinking of installing the tweeters in the dash using the Elemental Designs Eu-650 Tweeter Plates. But I'm wondering if there's a better place to install the tweeters. Any suggestions? I'm looking to get decent imaging.

For the rears, is it worth getting another set of components?

For the subwoofer, I'll probably get an enclosure to put under the passanger seat.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Imaging

Just remember the best way to set up for imaging is to make sure that both tweeters are the same distance apart from where you are sitting.......
Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member

Rather than tweeter plates, I used a semi-rigid screw fastener tape. (Not sure what it is called, but it is made of white metal, comes in a roll, and has screw holes every 1/4" to 1/2" inch). Should be a common automotive/hardware store item. It is usually used to strap things together and hold them in place with a screw. (Perhaps also used for exaust system repairs).

For each tweeter, I cut a 7" or so strip (measured to match end holes with the old tweeters removed from the dash, and leaving 1" of dip in the middle). I then screwed the tweeter into the middle of the metal band. The whole thing was mounted into the vehicle, and I then could twist and aim the tweeter to the direction I wanted. The tape was the right rigidness to allow flexing and positioning with strong finger force, but it would hold the position once I let go.

End result is that I was able to use the existing tweeter location, without modifiying the vehicle, and was aim the tweeters into the vehicle rather than have them point straight up into the windshield.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

I put components in the back of my XB, but probably wouldn't spend the money on them if I did my system again.

I mounted mine in the bolt holes beside the rear speaker grills, but I really can't hear them with the rear seats up.

I'm guessing the alternative is to mount them above the rear seat wall, which might be really annoying for rear passengers, as the tweeters will be very close to their ears.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys -- I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kehoz
Rather than tweeter plates, I used a semi-rigid screw fastener tape. (Not sure what it is called, but it is made of white metal, comes in a roll, and has screw holes every 1/4" to 1/2" inch).
Its called plumbing backstrap. I use it to secure my head unit to anything and everything in my dash so if someone tries to steal it they've got to deal with that. (Which would usually give me time to come get them or scare them off from the alarm.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:56 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

A dramatic distance between the tweeter and mid will cause a serious "slope" effect to the stereo image as frequencies roll off from tweeter to mid. Most component setups are designed so that the tweeter and mid are kept within close proximity of one another.
Another issue with mounting the tweeters in the dash location, far from the mid, is tweeter dominance. The tweeters, when mounted high and separated from the mid, will have a tendency to dominate the image, making it seem very "tinny" and "hollow" sounding.
Mounting the tweeters on or just below the sail panels will most likely render the best stereo image with most component setups. For example, I have my tweeters flushed into the door panel, just below the sail panel. I have them swiveled up and toward the windshield to bring the image up and forward a bit. To help compensate for the low mount of the mids and raise the full range of the image, I built the mountings to angle each mid upward. This brings the entire range of the stereo image upward rather than just the tweeter's production, creating a much more accurate-sounding stage.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In our xB's it's hard to beat the pathlengths of the stock dash locations, this location also provides a pathlength close to the one in the door as well, overall this is a hard combo to beat. Mount the tweeters there and angle them as best you can using plumbing strap.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

I mounted my tweeters on the triangle piece that covers the bolts for the outside mirrors.