Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

underglow install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default underglow install help

hi i was wondering if anyone knows how to run the wire from the neons to the hood for an underglow kit. Im having most trouble with the two sides and the back. if anyone has pics taht would be great. thanks oh yeah its an xb. thanks
kevin
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need similar help. I picked up the streetglow underbody kit and am puzzled on how to install. All 4 tubes run to a relay box that gets mounted under the dash with 3M adhesive. Then 2 wires run from that to somewhere under the hood i presume to get powered off. Where would i run these wires and how do i get the wires from the tubes into the car and under the dash?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go through the firewall. There is a rubber piece visible from both inside the car above the clutch pedal and inside the engine compartment on the other side. Here are some pics for reference:

Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default questions..

I have a couple questions about underglow. Number 1 how/where did you mount the underglow to the car? How much did the kit cost and where did you get it. My main concern is how to mount it, and if im gonna need a lift or something
Old 04-01-2005, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

did mine without a lift... did it in a couple of hours. find some goods spots and run the screws that came with it.

shouldnt take to long...
Old 04-02-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have an xa, so it may be different under the car then the xb. I didnt see where i could mount, or how i could possible drill mounting brackets in
Old 04-03-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

How'd u mount the fronts? Mine isn't in yet... that plastic under the car just doesn't seem sturdy at all, plus I fear it'll get hit and crack.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

cut through the plastic bottom and make a nice rectangle.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just take the side skirts off, drill a couple holes, and zip tie your way to fame. For the front, you might want to take the bumper off (look at the clear corners thread) and go from there.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mounting: for the sides i drilled strait to the frame, you know where your jack points are on your xb? well just behind that little lip there is a nice flat spot that runs front to back, drill the self tapping screws right up there into the frame, just make sure you position the bulb between the front and back jack points so you can still use the jack points, for the front and back i chose to mount the bulbs to the 2 plastic supports for the front and rear bumper, while they seem weak, i have had no problems with breaking/looseness, etc. a buddy of mine also installed the same way and has his kit on for about a year no problems.

mounting the control box: i mounted mine aroudn the area that my right knee would be when driving. use some double sided stick tape or foam that you buy, the stuff that comes with the kit wont stick for more than an hour. i ran the power and accecory wire for my neons both to power for the ciggarette lighter ( note: neons can only be turned on when the car is on). if you would like to be able to turn neons on when your car is off, find a fuse in your fuse panel that has power while the car is off, use a fuse tap and run your wires to that instead. for the negative wire on my neons i ran that to the negative wire on the cigarette lighter.

how do i connect the wires on my neons BELOW my car to the control box IN my car? In my xb i ran the wires through the body underneath the drivers carpet. basically right where your feet are when driving, if you pull back the carpet ( really really easy ) you will notice a rubber gromet on the floor, just cut an "X" in it and run your wires down through there to your neons, then under the dash to whereever you mount your control box. you may also what to seal this gromet with something, silicone etc.

i would suggest to use somthing other than zip ties to hold your neons to the frame, i use the included mounting clamps with the self taping screws AND zip ties as a back up.

running the wires from one neon/LED tube to the next neon/LED tube:

in my opinion this is the hardest part, get your car on the lift and take your time, find a path that is clear of the exhast and any moving parts, basically you want to keep the wires clear of danger, and make sure they are tight and secure, not loose and jiggling around.

any other questions?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do u run the wires from the back bumper?