Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Viper 791XV

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Viper 791XV

I just ordered the viper 791xv for about $200. I just was curious on what is involved in installation? My guess is its a lot more involved/difficult that car audio. I wish there was someone in the philadelphia area that new how to install these viper alarms and wouldnt charge me much.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

install is a pain. imagine aobut 65 wires u gotta hook up the right way, and then when u think you're done, u gotta program the alarm. lol

local shops in the philly area.
people i trust:
pauls audio and security, on state road.
i dont remember thier number, but they're right across from the prison on state road, in the last business park before rhawn st.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

programming is easy isnt it basically? As long as someone installed it for me, Im sure I could program it...
Old 12-22-2004, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

its far from 65 wires. If you want to drive to MD I can put it in for you for 100. The only thing that will have to be programmed is the tach and the double unlock pulses. Takes about 2 minutes to program and I would obviously do that for you.

BTW- its far from 65 wires.... 15-18 at best but that doesnt mean you should attempt it on your own. You got a decent deal on that alarm I bought my 791 for 180 bucks w/ employee discounts....
Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my old avatal 3300 remote start keyless enty and alarm were alot more then 15-18 wires. sorry i forgot that dei started creating micro relay packs, my alarm had i think 7 relays in a row to control everything. i got mine for the same price straight from dei on the employee accomodation program. 100 isnt bad for the install, if u found a bestbuy that would install that for you, you're lookin at like $230.

not doubting your tallent brian, but if hes as good as he says he is, go for it.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Jim
my old avatal 3300 remote start keyless enty and alarm were alot more then 15-18 wires. sorry i forgot that dei started creating micro relay packs, my alarm had i think 7 relays in a row to control everything. i got mine for the same price straight from dei on the employee accomodation program. 100 isnt bad for the install, if u found a bestbuy that would install that for you, you're lookin at like $230.

not doubting your tallent brian, but if hes as good as he says he is, go for it.
funny you should bring up the 3300. I had that in my civic. Same amount of wires bro. Only difference in the relay packs is that they are smaller now, still the same wires coming in and going out.

on the brain-
constant 12 volts
ground
parking lights
door trigger
locks - 2 wires
siren output
tach signal
hood pin
neutral safety switch
brake wire
On the relay pack
Constant 12volts
Ignition
2nd ingnition/2nd acc
accessory
starter kill - 2 wires

I count 16 wires there give or take two if you want to count the starter kill as two. Some of the ones I did count you dont have to hook up like the neutral safety and tach but i always use those. Of course some cars use more for things like ignition bypasses and options like trunk pop buts its not that bad.

BTW Best Buy will install a 791xvr for $199.99. I work there ;)
Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called circuit city and they will install it for 150, and tweeter will install it for 200..
Old 12-22-2004, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

anyone in the sacto area that will install any type of remote start?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tbone587
I called circuit city and they will install it for 150, and tweeter will install it for 200..
Just a word of advice about circuit- they really dont care much about who they hire as installers anymore. Id talk to some people in your area that have had work done by that particular store to see what their experiences have been.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BrianxB

funny you should bring up the 3300. I had that in my civic. Same amount of wires bro. Only difference in the relay packs is that they are smaller now, still the same wires coming in and going out.

on the brain-
constant 12 volts
ground
parking lights
door trigger
locks - 2 wires
siren output
tach signal
hood pin
neutral safety switch
brake wire
On the relay pack
Constant 12volts
Ignition
2nd ingnition/2nd acc
accessory
starter kill - 2 wires

I count 16 wires there give or take two if you want to count the starter kill as two. Some of the ones I did count you dont have to hook up like the neutral safety and tach but i always use those. Of course some cars use more for things like ignition bypasses and options like trunk pop buts its not that bad.

BTW Best Buy will install a 791xvr for $199.99. I work there ;)
there are more wires than that, but you don't need to use them...

allthou they are just plugs....
led
valet
pgm
shock sensor
ribbon cable to relay pack
antenna
door locks are three wires only use two....
siren has one wire as signal (but you still need to ground the siren....)

it looks worse than it is....
most plugs will only fit one spot...
it just a matter of keeping things neat...
Old 12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive had the viper 790 pager/alarm in my last two cars installed at tweeter. they do good quality work. i wouldnt trust best buy or circuit city. oh yeah where did you get it for that cheap of a price???
Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Beantowntc
i wouldnt trust best buy or circuit city.
You know this is said alot on the internet and I think it should be understood that it cannot be thought of as a universal rule. The fact is many installers that work for one company have or will in the future work for a competitor. Its a case by case basis as to which store does good work. For instance, I work for BB and I consider myself a knowledgable person and I care about my work. You can go to another store thats 20 minutes up the road from mine and they couldnt put a radio in a Ford to save their owns lives.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

true, but the consumer never really gets to discuss things with the installer.
if they could talk with the installer to determine how well they know what they are doing, the consumers would not have this problem....

also, add the one bad apple story (one BB = all BB)
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to installation on the xb, what parts of the car do u have to take apart to install on alarm? Does all that equipment that comes with the alarm get mounted under the hood? My alarm is getting delivered today so I guess ill see the instructions. Oh yeah, and generally how long does it take an installer to put one of these in? Are we talking a few hours, or maybe days?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

only the siren needs to go under the hood....
everything else goes under the dash....

ok i found the manual and here goes the wire count....

primary harness 11 wires (12 pin plug one empty...)
secondary harness 6 wires...
door lock harness 2 wires
key switch interface 8 wires
RS secondary harness 5 wires

total 32 wires (plus tthe led, switch, shock, ant.....)

now some are not used, and others are for your discression...
some are the same there are three constant power wires, a couple of wires get grounded...
Old 12-23-2004, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my viper 791xv came about an hour ago via UPS.. I opened this box up and DAMN! There is a crap load of CRAP to install lol.. Definately out of my league. In your guys opinion is circuit city qualified to install one of these? I can save about 50 bucks by going there. I just want it done right, just dont particularly want to pay a high install price, and circuit city near me usually has openings for installs.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my viper 791xv came about an hour ago via UPS.. I opened this box up and DAMN! There is a crap load of CRAP to install lol...
I recently bought the Viper 160XV for our family Camry. I got it on Special Price of $200 INSTALLED at BestBuy. They tried to say that a bunch of its features were optional at extra cost. I had read the manual and insisted that those features were standard.

There's not too much difference between the 791XV and the 160XV. The 791 has one 2-way remote and a siren. The 160 has two 4 button transmitters and no siren.

I got lucky... The BestBuy installer did a good job and included install of all the standard features at no extra cost. Remote Start, Keyless Entry, Failsafe Starter Kill, Panic, Vehicle Locator, Flashing, etc. all work great! I'm glad I got the Part and Install bundle. RPM
Old 12-23-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called me local circuti city and they said they install these all the time, so Ill take it there. He informed me that it will take a minimum of 6 hours.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default I'm a punk

but they're right across from the prison on state road,
makes me nervous.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RPMxB
Well my viper 791xv came about an hour ago via UPS.. I opened this box up and DAMN! There is a crap load of CRAP to install lol...
I recently bought the Viper 160XV for our family Camry. I got it on Special Price of $200 INSTALLED at BestBuy. They tried to say that a bunch of its features were optional at extra cost. I had read the manual and insisted that those features were standard.

There's not too much difference between the 791XV and the 160XV. The 791 has one 2-way remote and a siren. The 160 has two 4 button transmitters and no siren.

I got lucky... The BestBuy installer did a good job and included install of all the standard features at no extra cost. Remote Start, Keyless Entry, Failsafe Starter Kill, Panic, Vehicle Locator, Flashing, etc. all work great! I'm glad I got the Part and Install bundle. RPM

they lure you in for the 200 price but then get you for the options. where most places charge 250, for keyless, remote start, parking light flash, horn honk, antigrind/starter kill, trunk pops are usually extra since most requires an additional relay... something similar would probably cost more at a BB or similar chain...

the 160xv is just a remote start, it doesn't have door triggers built in ... although it will honk the horn if you have the unit locked and try to start the car... however you can turn it into an alarm using two additional relays if you know what you are doing...

Quick Reply: Viper 791XV