Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: How many monitors should I add?
Two in the back seat - side by side plus over the cargo area for shows
35.71%
One in the back seat.
14.29%
Two in the back seat - side by side
50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Visor Monitors or Video Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Visor Monitors or Video Ideas

Does anyone have visor monitors in their xB? i was wondering if anyone had a visor kit ready to go, because I don't really want to deal with custom labor on a job like that......

My stereo update of parts purchased:

2 Bulk Packs of Dynamat Xtreme
Alpine CVA-1003 flip up screen (already installed)
Alpine DVD Navigation (already installed)
Pioneer DVH-5000MP like Eric M. had (already installed)
Pioneer 5.1 DTS processor with Pioneer center channel speaker
Phoenix Gold 15 farad Powercore capacitor
PG 6" Ti Elite speakers
2 PG Titanium 600.2's
2 PG Titanium 10"s DVC
PG battery terminals and wiring (0 Awg to cap)....

but no video other than my monitor upfront which displays no moving video. I'd like at least one flip-down in the back, preferably the Pioneer AVR-W6100, or maybe two side-by-side and one in the cargo area. How would I go about getting a video signal from one source to three monitors? video splitter for cars? also wanting to add PS2 which I have sitting in my room. I'm not interested in headrest monitors right now. Although they are sweet, I'm interested in adding sport seats after my system is installed. I'm already way too deep into this, but what the hell!

Any ideas for video solutions are freely welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 02-14-2004, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mike,

so your just using the cva-1003 as a monitor/navigation and your pioneer for everthing else? because alpine makes an expansion box for your monitor. alpine KCE-103U i belive gives you 3 video/audio in and 2 video/audio out so you don't have to worry about video amplifiers. also the expansion box has the ability to let you play a movie in the front and your PS2 in the back while listening to your radio. as for the monitors ask ryan(greenbox) on how he likes his. He has 2 visors 4 headrest and a flip down and i don't think he's done yet. lol :D

hope this helps,
hubert
Old 02-14-2004, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Video

I'm not sure if I understand your question. My Alpine is just going to be nav. only. It won't be connected to anything else, so the monitor and nav will be its own entity. The deck will esentially become a flip-up only. I want the Pioneer deck to be the heart of my system, sending the signal to the 2 or more monitors in the back. It has dual zone capability so I can be listening to a CD in a changer while my passengers watch movies or play PS2. So I guess my question is: How can I turn my DVD video output on my Pioneer deck into one that can be read by two or more sources?

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 02-14-2004, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

then all you need is a video amplifier which you can pick up with either 2 or more outputs. and if your thinking of a flip down monitor i would suggest getting one with a built in IR (infared for wireless headsets) that way your rear passenger can still listen to whatever their watching and you still have control over your radio.

just my two cents...
hubert
Old 02-27-2004, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another Idea:

Ok I am going to offer up my Idea for anyone else to use (i am not stingy)

Since I am getting an RS1 I am not going to do any "permanent" mods.

Instead I am going to address the armrest concern with a fiberglass over pvc and early saturn armrest mounted to the square "cupholder", and add a detachable 8" Kenwood monitor on a small pivot onto the back of that. The other monitor will be infront of the passenger seat. The kenwood has headphone output and multiple inputs for the main head and a PS2

I am not really interested in entertaining tailgaters or blindspot drivers with overheads, just my son and my wife for obvious safety reasons, as well as reversible modification (remove the armrest, drop in an abs trim to cover the cupholder holes, and it is essentially gone).

I'll try to drw up and scan a sketch of the idea, but I have no idea how to place it on here.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Yup, I know someone w/ a visor monitor. His wife, er boss, wasn't going to go for it, but once it was in, she loved it. He also has them in the headrest for his back seat passengers to see. But not for the cargo area.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by squirrel
Yup, I know someone w/ a visor monitor. His wife, er boss, wasn't going to go for it, but once it was in, she loved it. He also has them in the headrest for his back seat passengers to see. But not for the cargo area.
yeah the wife and the installer were using the visor the whole time at El Toro! I am using two monitors on my headrests for the rear and I have replaced my rear view mirror with another monitor for my rear view camera. :D

Old 02-28-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem with visor monitors is that you might as well hang a "please give me a ticket" sign on the back of your car, at least here in California.

George