Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Want an armrest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro b
Originally Posted by HemanC
Yeah, why do you people have to buy a Scion. Go build one yourself. There are toilet, toothbrush, tissue paper (2 ply even) that can be made or anything from eBay. Gee, you people are so so so so stupid is the word?
YEA, thats the word I wanted to use but thought better of it. The only thing STUPID is spending $120 plus for something that only does half of the job. I'm sorry ,I didn't realize no one knows how to make anything or do anything for themselves anymore.
MYBAD
Some just don't care to build and rather just buy it and save the time and effort.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectFusion
Yeah, why do you people have to buy a Scion. Go build one yourself. There are toilet, toothbrush, tissue paper (2 ply even) that can be made or anything from eBay. Gee, you people are so so so so stupid is the word?
YEA, thats the word I wanted to use but thought better of it. The only thing STUPID is spending $120 plus for something that only does half of the job. I'm sorry ,I didn't realize no one knows how to make anything or do anything for themselves anymore.
MYBAD
Some just don't care to build and rather just buy it and save the time and effort.
that's his choice and that's fine but it doesn't make those who can build and want to stupid.. it just shows his narrow mindedness.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

MYBAD
meh, some people just don't want to try, you'll never know if you can do it till you try. i never messed with fiberglass in my life until i tried to make an armrest armed with little knowledge on it. got a few tips from people here on scionlife on the steps to fiberglass/mold. pretty much now i can bust out a cast from my console in a few hours, whereas before it'd take me at least 2 days. most of your time goes into prepping/planning, like anything you do. i can post the steps i take to make my armrests if you anyones interested in trying for themselves. one thing i guarantee is that you will get to a point where you will get frustrated with it or disgusted by the way it looks and toss it. i've tossed a few myself here and there. takes some work to get it to a clean looking piece, alot of sanding and patience.

i'm pretty sure the wood armrest would be nice too, alot cheaper at that also. problem is i don't think most of these car owners are handy people or willing to try things. every since i started messing with fiberglass and bondo i've been trying to do as much as i can with it.

in my opinion i can't see how some of these companies have come out with armrests that don't even come close to matching the car or that use bare metal as a mounting technique. it's just disgusting looking. and why mount two screws into a console that already is wobbly? at least conforming to the console you minimize the movement of the armrest.

how stable are those zeta and wood company armrests (quality auto interiors)?

my top pick for an armrest excluding my own would be JJ Products... just a shame that it has no storage.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tbblizzard
MYBAD
meh, some people just don't want to try, you'll never know if you can do it till you try. i never messed with fiberglass in my life until i tried to make an armrest armed with little knowledge on it. got a few tips from people here on scionlife on the steps to fiberglass/mold. pretty much now i can bust out a cast from my console in a few hours, whereas before it'd take me at least 2 days. most of your time goes into prepping/planning, like anything you do. i can post the steps i take to make my armrests if you anyones interested in trying for themselves. one thing i guarantee is that you will get to a point where you will get frustrated with it or disgusted by the way it looks and toss it. i've tossed a few myself here and there. takes some work to get it to a clean looking piece, alot of sanding and patience.

i'm pretty sure the wood armrest would be nice too, alot cheaper at that also. problem is i don't think most of these car owners are handy people or willing to try things. every since i started messing with fiberglass and bondo i've been trying to do as much as i can with it.

in my opinion i can't see how some of these companies have come out with armrests that don't even come close to matching the car or that use bare metal as a mounting technique. it's just disgusting looking. and why mount two screws into a console that already is wobbly? at least conforming to the console you minimize the movement of the armrest.

how stable are those zeta and wood company armrests (quality auto interiors)?

my top pick for an armrest excluding my own would be JJ Products... just a shame that it has no storage.

I can't speak for the others, but the Zeta armrst is probably the most stable of "all" the armrests available. That's because we anchor to the seat tracks for a rock-solid, secure mount. We do not use the cosole at all. All other armrests (excluding JJ's) use the flimsy console. As for the JJ armerst, who really wants to cut & drill into thir seats? As for storage, do you really need any more?

Thanks,

Zeta Products
Old 09-03-2004, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oops! managed to ____ off the maker.

so it isn't the zeta that uses the console then... but still, why show bare metal? why not build up the console so it looks more factory?

i'm not trying to talk down on your armrest, i think it's good that your company was one of the first to come out with one.

always need more storage storage and armrest are two things that should be together, i've rarely seen cars with factory armrests that don't have storage. i'm just curious, do you drive a scion? if you do, where do you put all your loose change? in the cupholders? i'm used to throwing mine in an armrest storage as i'm sure most people are. i keep my sunglasses and all kinds of stuff in mine.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you asked...

We used flat steel for the legs so the armrest support would be "less noticeable" when the front seats are in ther normal position. When you are in the back seat, the legs vitually disappear! You don't see a big chunk of plastic sitting there.

We didn't add storage because the rear cup holder and the bin next to the e-brake are still usable! We looked at every aspect of the design and ease of install and stability were are 2 main concerns. Hope this answers some questions.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

As for storage, do you really need any more?

Thanks,

Zeta Products

More storage is a Good thing especially covered storage. Sure the BOX has some storage but it is all exposed to sun and prying eyes. A console with storage is a natural. Why design an armrest only when it doesn't take much to do both. I'm really surprised no one came out with one like the molded plastic one thats available for the jeep wrangler. It's cheap to produce and works great. Also the current prices on all the aftermarket ones are too high, from the ones I've seen they should be about half of what they are. The one I made does the job perfectly and looks factory! COST about $20
Old 09-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow, a lot of discussion on this topic! Leave your comments in the new Product Review Area:
https://www.scionlife.com/parts/item...&sub_cat_id=37

Darren
Old 11-06-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Armrest

To TBlizzard: How do I go about ordering one of your custom consoles?

Old 11-06-2004, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM him. Will someone put that you have to PM Tblizzard in the reviews section? I've got all kinds of people PMing me asking where to buy it.