Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Want an armrest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just checked the 4runner again... it would stick back to far to clear the ebrake... goign with a saturn armrest. has the slot for the ebrake already, just need to build up the bottom and make the mounts.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

Hey everyone I am picking up my new xB in 2 weeks but this was my biggest complaint about it! How close is this to becoming a reality? Any chance that I could get one? I would 100% be in for it as long as it was not too expensive!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

k, well i just picked up the armrest brand new for practically cheap as hell. i'll post pics of it, gots a cupholder that pops out the side and huge storage. just doesn't have cupholders for the rear like i was hoping. nice slot for the ebrake also... this armrest was meant to go into a rear slot that looks like our rear cupholders... it's too big to fit, but with some modification it should fit snug in there. i have to make a piece that will fit snug into the rear cupholder then into that little slot to the left of the ebrake sort of like the one that sells on ebay. once i get a way to mount it i will fab a fiberglass casing around it so you can't see the mounting spots... should look pretty damn stock. looks hella nice just sitting in my car. if all goes well i'll start making some kits for it. :D definately nicer than the one on ebay.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

alright, check it out... keep in mind it's not done, this is just the armrest sitting in the car to give you an idea. i'm going to start making the mounting points in the car today.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great find, keep us posted!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member

i'll take one
Old 05-11-2004, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Looking at the Saturn armrest, I think the one from my Saturn L200 would fit perfectly. It is similar to this one, except it does not have the thin part sticking out to the one side of the e-brake.

Nice find. I will have to see if the Saturn L200 armrest will fit.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i like that thin piece.. it's a hand rest.. plus it's got that cup holder that pops out the side. :D

well i just got done making my template with dowels for the insert... bout to fiberglass it into a solid piece and make a few corrections to it. after that i'm going to start making the adapter piece for it. should have the insert done by tomorrow. then i'll start working on the adapter then build it up and fiberglass it into a solid piece. :D
Old 05-11-2004, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty damn nifty! Good going on the find and I think it looks pretty cool!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member

Looks like you may have found a viable solution!!!! Keep us posted. I'm definitely interested in one!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member

Nice Work.
"The force is strong with the young one"

One question.
Is the mounting height going to be variable? It would be nice to custom mount it depending on our height.

I definitely wan't one.
Let me kno wwhen they ready.

You rock!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice find, i'd be interested in one.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

alright.. anyone know where i can buy sheets of abs plastic? looking for thick stuff, 1/2" going to screw the adapter together then plastic weld it for more strength... don't want this thing to fall apart over time. was thinking of going with lexan since that's what i've been using in my dash, but it's alittle hard to work with and the thickest home depot sells is 1/4". the stuff is virtually unbreakable but abs plastic will be just as strong and i won't have to mess with it as much.

keep in mind i'm doing this to my xa.. i've read some posts that the xb is different. after i successfully finish this i'll start on the xb mount, should be alot easier since i'll already have the adapter to fit to the mount.

plans:
1. get the mount made. using the rear cupholder and side slot next to ebrake.
2. make adapter to fit around bottom of armrest and screw into mount. will use padding to keep down any vibration noises.
3. building the casing to go around the mount and adapter so it looks flush. i've made the mold of the bottom of the console already so should go fast.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

I am definitely interested in one for my xB!!
Old 05-16-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nice

I have had many a customer asking about an armrest....
Old 05-16-2004, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

alright... got the mount mold done... came out pretty nice and tight fitting... i'm building up the framework right now. should take me about a couple days since i only can work on it for a few hours a day. after i get the frame work i'll get the adapter for the armrest done. the casing will be made at the same time as the framework is being fiberglassed. turns out to be more work than i thought. i've gone through a lot of resin and glass to get just the mold going. i'll let you guys know when i get the framework done, i don't want to take any pics until it's completed.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member

We'll wait!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What would be nice is an armrest with a cupholder on the end of it where you r hand goes!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by kwicslvr
What would be nice is an armrest with a cupholder on the end of it where you r hand goes!
gots it.

k, this is looking like it might be a one off. for me to reproduce these would be very costly and alot of work. i drafted the measurements of the rear cupholder and side slot rising up to an adapter that the armrest would sit in. i have to make some adjustments to the measurements since i took these measurements with just a ruler before I made the mold. they came out pretty damn close though. :D

i will wait till i'm completed with it before i decide on what to do. if anyone has an intrest in using these drafts to make the armrests then let me know.

i have completed the mount and the adapter so far. i'm going to bondo the adapter to make it look presentable for now and i'll take some pics of the setup. right now it is in two pieces. the mount sits in the cup holder and left slot. the adapter fits snug over the bottom of the armrest and will end up being glassed to the mount so it's a one piece deal. i'm not that great at fiberglass since i've only been recently learning and playing with it. feel i gotta give some props to the guys that do fiberglass work, it's some tough stuff to get things looking nice. i thought this was going to be simple, no wonder its taking people time to get these things out.

on a better note, if you guys are looking for a less attractive version of a mount, like the one on ebay, but more solid and "finished" looking, i can probably make these much easier if i had access to a bandsaw and some 1/2" abs plastic. i wish i could just have the mold and make some lexan putty/goop (lexan in a jar with acetone for a day) and just pour it in but it's not that easy.

let me know what you guys are looking for. maybe after i get mine completed if someone knows a company, they can just make a mold of mine and produce them.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="tbblizzard"]
Originally Posted by kwicslvr

i will wait till i'm completed with it before i decide on what to do. if anyone has an intrest in using these drafts to make the armrests then let me know.
That would be cool. homemade mods are the best. I need to get the fact page up on my site on how to install mods and put that one up there with it.

Quick Reply: Want an armrest?