Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Warning light trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Warning light trouble

Does anyone know how to get rid of the VSC, check engine light, and the trac off light? All three came on today, and they won't go away. I just installed Sirius radio, and tapped into the wires, could that be some sort of cause?? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alyssa, Alyssa, Alyssa what are we going to do with you, LoL. Try reseting your ECU and also check your gas cap . After you reset the ECU if it comes back on then I would say take it to the dealer. It could be a number of things that caused it to come on and could just be a coincidence that it came on at the same time you installed the Sirius, I know we have that happen all the time to us at Circuit C.. What wires did you tap into? Billy

Here is how to reset your ECU.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33062
Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

honestly, I don't remember the wires... Don did it for me... so yeah.. there was my problem. lol. JK Don!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by techick
honestly, I don't remember the wires... Don did it for me... so yeah.. there was my problem. lol. JK Don!
You know and I was gonna ask you if you let Don touch it to.

Try the reset and see if that works. I'll contact the redneck and see what wires he tapped into.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It worked. The light didn't come back on.. at least not yet, if it does it again, then I will contact you and let you know. Thanks for your help ^-^
Old 08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, What did you do again to get rid the check lights? Mine is doing the same thing ever since last night when I noticed there was corrosion on my battery terminal and unbolted to clean the corrosion. once I connected the positive battery terminal back I started to get the check engine light, VSC light and the tracktion control light is on... the car is also running like crap, it is bogging when accelerating.

I just undid the ecu fuse, hopefully that will correct the problems... any other suggestions?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like yours is running in 'safe mode' (also known as 'limp home' mode), Micro.

Check the tech section (in the buttons at the top of the page) for the complete instructions on resetting the ECU bu simply pulling the proper fuse...

Tomas
Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha Tom, it is you. glad to see you reply. I did pull the fuse. I waited 30 minutes prior to plug it back in and it still boggs out at 3000 rpm. Don't know what else to try

This is exactly what I did last night and maybe you can see the problem from my doings.

I was working on my headlights, adjusting them. I noticed that my positive batt. terminal's red cap was propped up and I've noticed before but never did what I did last night. the reason it is propped up is because of my under body LED light kit is dirctly hooked to the battery. it has been so since I put in in last October and works great. Well, I decided to remount the wire to the bolt that is attached to the batt terminal. While doing so I noticed my battery clamp is corroided so I proceed with a wire brush to clean it, well, it was all over the terminal itself so what the heck, I took the positive clamp off and cleaned the post and inside the clamp. Once done, I placed the clamp back on the batt posted and tightened it back down...

After that is when my car started to bogg. any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim
Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, start here for things that can send your box into fail-safe mode:

(There are a bunch of different DTC charts, here's one of 'em...)

SFI system DTC chart (.pdf)

Good luck!

(You have a PM, Jim...)

Tomas
Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 08-28-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by violent_b
I know, tell me about it. I got everything done and now this happens

Hey Bill, btw. you were right as to the 2 screws for the back of the Anzo headlights adjusts both up and down of the beams (Hi/Lo) see it as 4 corners and the screws are diagonally and depending on which screw adjusting you do, the lights will go up or down. What I did is that I took the headlight out and popped the rubber caps off and looked as I turned the screws individually and see that it does the seasaw motion.

but anyhoo, I got them headlights finally adjusted but now I am stuck with this idelling and bogging @ 3000 rpm problems.

what went wrong?

As I was unbolting the positive batt terminal, I did accidently spark the wrench when I hit something in the engine compartment, I do not know what I hit but it did make a good spark and starttled me. I checked all fuses and all are good. The big fuses in the engine compartments with the clear window, does it need to be sealed tight? I accidently cracked a piece off when I tried to get it off.

someone please tell me what is the cause....

Thanks!

and thanks to Thomas and Bill!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is kinda a long shot but did you check the MAF sensor on the intake to make sure that didn't come unplugged. that would bring up the check engine light though.

did you also take the positive and negative battery posts off the battery and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes?

as for anything else I'm stumped. glad you got the headlights adjusted though.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Bill.. if you looked into where the radio is... you would probably shoot me.. lol...

who do you know uses a paperclip to keep wires together??? I am going out there today to put zip ties on it atleast. I don't want any type of fire...
Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who do you know uses a paperclip to keep wires together??? I am going out there today to put zip ties on it atleast. I don't want any type of fire...
A redneck installer...
Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LOL!!! tell me about it..
Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bill,

I did everything I could find from people having the problems and solutions to each. took off the MAF this morning to make sure it was not dirty and put it back in. Took off both positive and negative terminals last night and waited 30+ minutes prior to putting it back on, took the fuse for the ECU out, took the relay out, even swapped the relay with the horn one. none worked so far.

i am about to call the dealer seems like.

Hey techick, do you know or can find out exactly what the guy did on yours? was your car ideling rough also? did it start to Bogg at 3000 rpm?

Thanks all
Old 08-28-2006, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well, I was helping him install the sirius radio, so I saw everything. We tapped into the wires that connect to your lighter and the ones that connect to my under dash LED. The wire we connected to is faulty. I know this much. It isn't grounded correctly somewhere, so I need to go fix that. I guess when we tapped into those wires, it set something off in my dash. The weird thing is that I never lost my traction control. It was on the whole time. Just the light came up. So I am thinking that those wires also connected to the dashboard lights as well somewhere. I dunno.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My lights have come on about five times in the last four months. I reset them every time and they were good four 2 or 3 weeks.
So yesterday it did it again and today i called the dealer to get it checked out, and they told me the problem was that the timing chain was off 3 or 4 teeth.
It is going to take them a whole day to fix it so now i get to drive a highlander for two days.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I was helping him install the sirius radio, so I saw everything. We tapped into the wires that connect to your lighter and the ones that connect to my under dash LED. The wire we connected to is faulty. I know this much. It isn't grounded correctly somewhere, so I need to go fix that. I guess when we tapped into those wires, it set something off in my dash. The weird thing is that I never lost my traction control. It was on the whole time. Just the light came up. So I am thinking that those wires also connected to the dashboard lights as well somewhere. I dunno.
Alyssa when is the next time you will be home P.O? You are more then welcome to stop by Circuit and I will hook the wires to the radio.. If you like, let me know. Billy
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok guys, I went Advance Auto here in va beach and they scanned my puter for free. it provided the following errors.

DTC (Codes)

P0103
MAF or VAF
Circuit High Input

DTC (Pending Codes)

P0101
MAF or VAF
CKT Range/Perf

P0103
MAF or VAF
Circuit High Input

any thoughts