Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1

I work at circuit city, and I was talkin to the manager of road shop about bypassing the pioneer avic-n2/d1, and he said its not possible which is what I heard before. But, I could have sworn that I heard someone on this forum say there is a possible way, but its difficult or something. Anyone have info on this?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you can bypass an avic-n1 but not the new n2 or d1. Also, I think Ive also read that the new d1 wont even play dvd movies at all - not even when parked. I think the dvd drive is only for reading the navi dvds, and nothing more. I believe you have to buy the dvd changer in order to view movies (or use a playstation or something)...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member

the avic-n1 can be bypassed. the avic n2 on the other hand has the inner gyro somehow tied in to the dvd and cannot be bypassed. once the vehicle moves passed 15 mph the dvd will automatically shut off. from my understanding, pioneer has had way to many law suits. the avicd1 wont play any dvd's which is completely pointless because kenwood and eclipse both do, why not make it better than the competition. how do i know, i work for sound advice/tweeter. any more questions lemme know. javascript:emoticon('')
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why buy a DVD player that won't even play unless parked?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1

Originally Posted by tbone587
I work at circuit city, and I was talkin to the manager of road shop about bypassing the pioneer avic-n2/d1, and he said its not possible which is what I heard before. But, I could have sworn that I heard someone on this forum say there is a possible way, but its difficult or something. Anyone have info on this?
Hey I work at CCity too (NJ 3687) I was lookin at the same pioneer unit and the guy at the roadshop told me the same thing "you can't use that s**t while you're driving" So he recommended that I get the model before that (it should still be available, my store has a few in stock) It's the same exact thing, if there are any changes in it they're not major but it allows you to watch your movies while the car is in motion.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sittin Pretti Box
Because it's illegal. You shouldn't be watching TV while driving anyways.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uncompiled
I never said I would be. But I wouldn't buy a DVD player if it won't play while the car is in motion. or at least find ways around making it play. If I got passengers in my car and people wanna watch something, if I had screens in my head rests, I would want it some way so people can watch it while driving.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by uncompiled
not for passengers...........
Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, I dont think it is illegal in every state. Sure, its not safe - but I dont think it is illegal. The fact that you cannot watch movies on the new pioneer d1 AT ALL is really a turnoff for a unit that had lots of potential (XM Radio traffic integration with the navi).
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default it is possible, and yes is it illegal

I am a Manager at Circuit City and all you have to do is put a switch on the VSS wire and a switch on the Parking Break. When you want to watch movies switch the VSS OFF and the Parking Break ON. When you want NAV...you have to switch the VSS ON and the Parking Break OFF. Both can not work at the same time, but I am sure you all do not care. Have fun....
Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If the vechicle is in motion and the main screen is disabled, the video outputs for external monitors should still work.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: it is possible, and yes is it illegal

Originally Posted by Jmitsis
I am a Manager at Circuit City and all you have to do is put a switch on the VSS wire and a switch on the Parking Break. When you want to watch movies switch the VSS OFF and the Parking Break ON. When you want NAV...you have to switch the VSS ON and the Parking Break OFF. Both can not work at the same time, but I am sure you all do not care. Have fun....
Or just use a 3 pole switch and wire it correctly. Then one position will allow for watching the DVD, the other for nav. But I really hope the driver is not watching movies while driving!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it can be done with the avic-n2... Awesome.. If u dont mind I would like to feed this info to my manager at circuit city roadshop.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt bypass the safety part of it. dont watch DVDs while driving. your just asking for it
Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tbone587
So it can be done with the avic-n2... Awesome.. If u dont mind I would like to feed this info to my manager at circuit city roadshop.
No, I don't think thats right. The N2 has a gyroscope inside that detects movement via changes in inertia. To disable that you would need to rig a bypass for that inside the unit. Which means some very intricate soldering inside your new head unit.

You would need to know what signal the gyroscope outputs when no movement is being detected and force that when the car IS moving. From the sounds of it, if it shuts off after 15mph then its probably not as simple as 1 or 0 (on or off). I'm sure some of our electrical engineers on the site could probably figure it out if given some time with the unit.

I doubt a software hack is sufficient considering all the work pioneer went to..

Or you can just ghetto rig it:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...7&postcount=10
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimate...8;t=009291;p=3

Edit: Someone also noted in one of these threads and I forgot about it entirely... Since there isnt an external nav unit like the DDX7015+KNA-DV4100.... The gyroscope you're trying to bypass is largely used for your navigation... It would totally compromise its accuracy in a severe way.. Look elsewhere if the reverse cam bypass isnt good enough for you.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have an AVIC-N2 so I can't speak for that, but I'm sure it's the same as the D1

The AVIC-D1 has TWO drives... one for a DVD NAV disc and one for an Audio/MP3 CD. You don't have to swap the discs. You can leave your DVD NAV disc in the DVD drive at all times and do NAV while listening to an audio CD or AUX input source or radio or whatever.

While the vehicle is in motion you can NOT plot NAV routes. Even if you do the switch trick... if you're going more than 15mph the D2 knows your moving via GPS and will report an error that your parking brake wire isn't hooked up correctly and you won't be able to plot NAV routes, NOR will any display from an AUX video input source work on the main display.

To bring the source back, you have to stop the vehicle, pull up on the parking brake, put it down, and pull up again. This resets the unit so you can view AUX video input and manage routes on the NAV unit. While the vehicle is moving AUX video is disabled on the main screen (still works via the "Video Output" line for different monitors), and you can't manage routes. You can still switch routes and use some route features, but not a full set of features.

While the vehicle is moving all audio features function normally.

Again, the unit tracks movement via an accellerometer inside, the parking brake switch, and via GPS. You can't get past it without a firmware flash or something similar (which nobody has figured out how to do yet).

The unit doesn't use a gyroscope it uses an accellerometer. Huge difference.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member

What about alpine, could you play dvd while driving?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by scionxboombox
What about alpine, could you play dvd while driving?
yes you can still defeat the alpines but coming next yr they too will be coming out with a pretty similar thing like pioneer.

just my 2 cents,
Old 06-22-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, to add to this, I personally will not buy anything else by Pioneer as far as car audio goes. I used to love them and have owned (or installed in my GF car) 5 of them. All 5 starting crapping out and malfunctioning in under 2 years. Two friends have had Pioneer changers in their cars... both lasted about 6 months to a year before starting to fail constantly. Two people I know have pioneer home audio setups.. both starting giving problems in less than 2 years. Junk as far as I am concerned. For DVD nav I will eventually end up buying Eclipse. More money, but you get what you pay for.

Also, a DVD nav that can't play movies is pretty stupid design IMO. And I am all for the front screen being disabled while driving NO ONE should be driving with a monitor running up front, even if they say it is just for the passenger. It is still distracting to the driver in some ways. But I cant see why they would design one that disables the DVD rather than just the front monitor.... well, actually I do I guess. Someone could still connect an external monitor to the outputs and mount it up front. So I can see the liability in that. Granted, it is the users fault for not following the directions... but in todays society of sueing everyone for everything they have to cover their a$$. And completely disabling it prevents idiots who DO watch movies up front while driving from killing me while I am passing by.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a pioneer avic-n1 and the damn monitor just went out on me. everything works on the deck but just a black screen and I am about to send it into them for repairs or something.

Quick Reply: Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1