Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member

the correct way to get video in the front while moving
1 . put a switch(12v) to reverse sensor wire
2 . take video output and connect to rear vision(back up camera) video input
3. all done

turn switch on for video and off for normal use

as for the peeps opinions about video while driving is not safe.
eating, drinking,smoking,reading,cell phones,and navigationare not safe either

just my 2 cents
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by teampirate
3. all done

as for the peeps opinions about video while driving is not safe.
eating, drinking,smoking,reading,cell phones,and navigationare not safe either

just my 2 cents
Thats right. I dont eat, smoke (wouldnt in my car anyway), read, use a cell phone (unless on open road with a hands free set) or use navigation while driving either. Drinking a soda is hardly comparable (nor any of the things you mentioned other than reading) with watching a movie while driving. Say what you want, but it is stupid to do. Same goes for using a cell phone without a hands free setup while driving. It should be illegal (and is in many places).

As for the gyros.. there must be more to those units than that. Gyros sense acceleration, not constant motion. An object is in equilibrium whether it is sitting still or running at a constant 100 mph . So they must be using a combination of gyros and something else (if they are really using a gyro). I would guess they are simply using the gps system on the units with nav.. that would be the simplest way to sense motion and still make it hard to bypass.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

3. all done

this is how it was done with the old avhp7480, 7490's...

only problem with this on the new units is that it will tell the navigation that the vehicle is moving backwards...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about it. What's the difference in watching TV or talking on the phone, or putting on makeup, or eating, or anything else that creates a distraction for the driver?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
not sure why everyone makes such a fuss about it. What's the difference in watching TV or talking on the phone, or putting on makeup, or eating, or anything else that creates a distraction for the driver?
There isnt any difference, which is what I was saying. None of those things should be done while driving. I know all of us are guilty of doing some of those things at some point, but it is still dumb to do.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

3. all done

unfortunately it isn't that simple...you have to use diodes or else you'll mess up your your trans(if auto usually depends on make and model) or turn your reverse lights on when you flip that switch. as for the bypass i believe that pioneer also uses the VSS wire and the gyro to turn off the monitor while driving. on top of it all the new avics has to see ground then 12v then ground again to turn on the monitor or to be able to use nav. my friend only wanted to use nav while driving so his wife can input data in so i used a relay and a switch instead of the foot/hand brake wire. works like a charm but still turns off the monitor for AV after 10mph.

just my 2 cents,
Old 06-23-2005, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

A quick suggestion.. both units have the availability to use the reverse camera option with navi at the same time, although you lose about a third of the screen while driving, you don't lose your gyro or foul anything up with the wiring
Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think that Pioneer's solution to the "problem" is ridiculous. By all means-- diasble the screen-- watching it while the vehicle is in motion is unquestionably unsafe. But from what I'm reading, it sounds as if it disables the DVD player itself... which is crap.

I listen to concert DVDs, video collection DVDs, and stand-up comedy DVDs while driving all the time-- they're great because you don't necessarily have to see them to enjoy them. DVD audio just sounds good.

Besides, the harder they work to make them "safer", the harder people will work to bypass the safeties.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't disable the DVD player - the AVIC-D1 doesn't have a DVD player. It's got two disc slots - one is a DVD drive but it's only for the DVD nav discs, not for DVD movie discs.

The other disc is an audio CD disc. It's for CD/MP3/WMA.

With the D1, you can't play even audio DVDs in the CD slot.

With the D1, when you're driving, you can still have the AUDIO from the AUX INPUT on the D1, just not the onscreen video. If you had an external DVD source (which you need to play any DVDs on the D1), you could listen to the audio from the source (be it audio DVD or movie), you just couldn't see the video on the D1's screen.

I can't speak for the N2/N1 because I've never used them.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, here is the REAL way to disable the n2 so you can watch dvds. I dont reccomend it and this isnt someting ive done (i hate flip out tvs, i think they look cheesy) but this info is off of www.the12volt.com .

What you need to do is put a switch on the parking brake wire, a switch on the VSS wire (youll just want to open the circuit so its not getting any data) and lastly you need to put a switch on the outer sheild of the gps wire to stop the data from going into the deck. Also the switch must be right at the wire otherwise youll trow of the impeadence and it wont work. You also wont get any nav while this switch is on. If you want to read the article head over the the 12volt, click on forums on left column, and finally click on car audio. I think it was posted somewhere in there.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. You people sure make it complicated. I just take my iBook, slap it anywhere ( it even fits on the dash), plug in head phones and I'm watching movies.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea so whats the big draw with the avic-n2... i got the N1 and its set up so i can watch while driving but with the 3 zone option whats the real draw to have to watch DVDs while driving... u can set up screens in the back and have people watch DVDs there, navigate from the front and listen to the radio.

Maybe my extreme case of ADD makes my opinion different cause i cant really have the screen on while driving without veering off the road
Old 06-26-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the other problem with the rear camera input is the message " caution: objects on screen may be reversed" or something like that come on the lower portion of the screen and doesn't go away. I put a 3 wire, 2 position switch ( one wire from reverse wire, one wire to pioneer, one wire from 12v accessory), flip the switch it's normal, flip it the other way the Pioneer thinks it's in reverse.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

I tried to talk with a pioneer rep about the gyro in the D1 and all they could say was "there is no was to disable the safety feature in this unit." I guess that was the short version they told me....I was looking forward to hearing the long version...
Old 06-27-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-boy
not saying anyone here is thinkin about or does this already but...

having dvds play video viewable by the driver while driving = most certain death and you can seriously endanger others lives even if you dont care enough about your own or your passengers not to do it
It's not certain death. The main thing you have to do is make sure that 1. your screen is high enough that you only have to look a little to the right to watch and don't have to look down. 2. You make sure that you NEVER play or watch anything that you havent' seen before.

I've been watchin tv while driving since I was 16 and had a TV/VCR built into my truck for long road trips. (BTW I'm almost 26 so I've been doing this almost 10 years) You just have to be a little smart about it and think of it more as a audio book. I've never had an accident or even been close to one b/c of the TV in fact it's probably saved my life a couple times by keeping me awake at 3 am on those long 20 hour road trips.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had one installed yesterday. I love it... The deck turned my box into a theatre, It's amazing.

I also had a overhead installed and the avic-n2 runs that. I'm back in the market for some headrest monitors also..

Oh yeah.. The installer set up the unit to play when I'm driving so my passenger can watch a movie

pics soon!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectFusion
Originally Posted by game-boy
not saying anyone here is thinkin about or does this already but...

having dvds play video viewable by the driver while driving = most certain death and you can seriously endanger others lives even if you dont care enough about your own or your passengers not to do it
It's not certain death. The main thing you have to do is make sure that 1. your screen is high enough that you only have to look a little to the right to watch and don't have to look down. 2. You make sure that you NEVER play or watch anything that you havent' seen before.

I've been watchin tv while driving since I was 16 and had a TV/VCR built into my truck for long road trips. (BTW I'm almost 26 so I've been doing this almost 10 years) You just have to be a little smart about it and think of it more as a audio book. I've never had an accident or even been close to one b/c of the TV in fact it's probably saved my life a couple times by keeping me awake at 3 am on those long 20 hour road trips.
That doesnt say too much. First, some are better at keeping up with two things at once than others... 80% of the people I encounter on a daily basis have a hard enough time driving to start with. Second... how many times have people driven drunk as hell without incident? Plenty, but that doesnt make it safe.

I'm not pickin on you at all man.. hell, I catch myself doing stupid stuff at times in the car, but it doesnt make it safe in the least. For the average person (and according to many researchers), talking on a cell phone is just as distracting as being intoxicated while driving. So just imagine people driving around watching tv.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member

the n2 needs a simple solder in order to bypass it. it takes 2 seconds literally with a circuit pen. I don't condone driving with a tv on, but it is extremly easy to do.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Y'all can talk to all the Circuit City managers and Pioneer reps you want to. They have to say it can't be bypassed by law. If I remember correctly, this works for the D1, but I've only actually done it on the N2. On the bottom of the unit is a small square piece of silver tape. Peel that up and drop a drop of solder onto the the two little points on the circuit you can see through the hole. Just don't hook up the VSS and you're golden. The GPS will only be off by about 5 feet. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! WILL VOID YOUR WARRENTY!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy the N3, there is a switch on the bottom of it. The switch is under the "VOID" sticker, so if you do flip the switch you loose your warranty. All you have to do is ground the brake wire, and thats it. The switch shuts off the internal gyro, or GPS tracking, so you can watch while your driving.

Quick Reply: Watching movie while driving with AVIC-N2 /D1