Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What system set-up is everyone doing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default What system set-up is everyone doing?

Just curious as to what peoples ideas are. Myself, I am most likely running 4 alpine type x 10", 4 alpine mrd1001 amps, 1 alpine mrd540 4 channel, a set of Alpine type x 5 1/4" components with te 6 1/2" midbass kit to have a 3-way setup in the front, and then modify the rear panels to have just the type x 6 1/2" component set. The head unit will most likely be all F#1 status with the pxa-h900 processor. that should about do it. total power at 12.6 volts RMS = 4500 watts, Peak power close to 13,000 watts. And I will be running in the USAC 901+ pro class. Any questions?
Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What system set-up is everyone doing?

Originally Posted by installerguy
Just curious as to what peoples ideas are. Myself, I am most likely running 4 alpine type x 10", 4 alpine mrd1001 amps, 1 alpine mrd540 4 channel, a set of Alpine type x 5 1/4" components with te 6 1/2" midbass kit to have a 3-way setup in the front, and then modify the rear panels to have just the type x 6 1/2" component set. The head unit will most likely be all F#1 status with the pxa-h900 processor. that should about do it. total power at 12.6 volts RMS = 4500 watts, Peak power close to 13,000 watts. And I will be running in the USAC 901+ pro class. Any questions?
I have a question..... no...forget it.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

sorry, that 14.4 volts, but according to my Alpine Rep, the new Alpine amp line will be rated at 12.6 volts, 1000 watts RMS.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

JLTD, this may be a stupid question but, do you work for JL?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

MUST BE NICE MUST BE NICE MUST BE NICE
Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

installerguy- when you get a chance, check your messages-pm'ed you
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My question is why Alpine?
My current setup is a Kenwood Excelon CD Player, a set of CDT EF61 components for the front being ran by a Soundstream Van Gogh 600.2. I have DEI 550.2 Components with CDT crossovers running in the back off deck power. a Soundstream Van Gogh 400.2 sitting in my back seat waiting for a sub to power. Have not decided on one yet.
Probably will trade out the Kenwood Excelon and get a Nakamichi CD400.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, if the power input is 14.4V, that means you have 3150 Watts @ 12.5V. If you were a normal listener, you'll use about 20% of that power on average with music which comes to 630 Watts average (1575 Watts if you were abusive). Factoring efficiency, thats about 1260 Watts of average demand on your charging system (3150 Watts if you were abusive). You'll need 101 amps of current to generate this kind of power (252 if you were abusive) so I hope a new alternator is also in your plans. On a good day, the Scion stock alternator has about 500 Watts to give. All energy to move a speaker ultimately comes from the alternator so the amp cannot produce more average energy than the alternator can provide. All the amp does is covert the enegry from the charging system into something useful to move a speaker.
Adding extra batteries will extend your reserve time, but there comes a point when batteries need charging as well.
Good luck with your system! :D
Old 11-09-2004, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What system set-up is everyone doing?

F#1 would be nice, worth like 1/5 of the car, lols. I almost got those Type-X components, they just seemed a bit lifeless to me, the SPX-177r, sounded clean though.

I'm doing the baby F#1 system with the PXA-H701. Hopefully two black chrome Audison VRx 2.250'ss and 2 Xtant 1.1i's. Seas Lotus Reference Tweeter and Dayton Reference 7" mid. Prolly a JL 10w3v2 unless I can fit in somehting deeper.
I'll be competing in USACi next year too hopefully in the beginner class if they will still let me in. Been like two years since my last competition.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I ran 2 18's, 4 10's, 10 amplifiers and 5 yellow tops in my last competition vehicle using the stock 65 amp alternator. Nothing beats extra batteries, especially if the car is not running. Never dimmed a light or lost voltage during burps.

So far, not a hint of a problem in the xA, she takes an absolute pounding so far durnig our testing, and the stock alternator is staying in....

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 11-10-2004, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member

I am running a H.O alt, the guys at Ohio are building me one, 220 peak, 180 nom.
I have a lighting audio isolator thats good to 240 amps running two stinger batt, excluding the one under the hood.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

Also, I am an installer and have connections with Alpine. But I have had MB Quart Q series, Boston Pro series, Focal Utopia, etc.. I honestly think that These alpine type X are awesome, plus not exaggerating.. straight from MR. Alpine, the tweeters, since they are in their own chamber, and ring radiated, (meaning like a typical speaker not a dome tweeter,) they can play down to 500Hz... a tweeter!!! Plus when these speakers are put into a threeway setup... sweet!!! They also sound excellent bi-amped. Go to a local retailer and give them a try. Let me know what you think.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm currently running:

Pioneer avic n1 and a
Dehp 860mp
Rockford Type RF 6.5's
Rockford Power t5002 (2)
and a single Rockford T1 12"

since the doors are so tall in the xa it's hard to achieve what i am looking for... the mids and highs are imaged just right and the midbass is centered decently, but there are some slight cancellation issues with the highs and up front bass, I might try to reconfigure my subwoofer angle a bit to see if i can correct this problem... I still need to work out some of the bugs before it gets to where i can truly appreciate it...

Next year I hope to get a Dex/q -9 setup with some MB Quart Q line amps, maybe even the Reference line since they are a little less expensive
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

straight from MR. Alpine, the tweeters, since they are in their own chamber, and ring radiated, (meaning like a typical speaker not a dome tweeter,) they can play down to 500Hz... a tweeter!!!
That's because they're actually a Vifa tweeter and Alpine is just OEMing them (like they do withall their speakers). I don't know which Type-X set you're looking at but the top of the line SPX-Z15M uses a ScanSpeak Revelator mid in combo with the Vifa tweeter. By the way, they play down to ~1500 Hz according to the manufacturer so unless Alpine had Vifa heavily modify them don't planning on crossing @ 500.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cancellation issues as you described them in the xA are a result of the mounting location and direction of the tweeters. This particular location and direction is commonly used to offset the result of using a weaker component system, thus providing the appearance of having a better system than you do.

When you finally upgrade to a higher quality system, the tweeters are right there in your face, and your crossovers and eq need to accomodate for that. You either need to back them down or use a more proper location for staging and imaging, your choice obviously.

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 11-10-2004, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by simplespirit
straight from MR. Alpine, the tweeters, since they are in their own chamber, and ring radiated, (meaning like a typical speaker not a dome tweeter,) they can play down to 500Hz... a tweeter!!!
That's because they're actually a Vifa tweeter and Alpine is just OEMing them (like they do withall their speakers). I don't know which Type-X set you're looking at but the top of the line SPX-Z15M uses a ScanSpeak Revelator mid in combo with the Vifa tweeter. By the way, they play down to ~1500 Hz according to the manufacturer so unless Alpine had Vifa heavily modify them don't planning on crossing @ 500.
x2 on the OEM part. I wouldn't have considered teh Type X otherwise if they didn't have a high quality drivr behind them. PG using Morel Israel and Rockford got it in with MBQ.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JL AUDIO all the way...i got everything in my tC and its JL :D
Old 11-12-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I got JL XR 650 cxi and csi plus dynamat ... and temporarily kicker subs until I save for JL and then I am getting an alpine head Unit and the ipod thingy to directly connect it...
Old 11-13-2004, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, here's what i have on order for my box.
kenwood ddx-7015 (dvd head)
hifonics zeus amp (on a floating floor in the rear storage box) remote gain in the little panel above the ashtray.
directed studio 10" (under pass seat)
and another set of viper components for the rear doors.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pioneer deck(may be for sale soon)

3 rockford p2's(may be for sale soon) in a ported box

rockford power bd500( will also be for sale soon)

1 farad digi top rockford cap(will also be for sale soon)

rockford punch 400 x 4(not in use but will probably be for sale soon)

4 ga wirin and other misc parts.

laterz

Quick Reply: What system set-up is everyone doing?