Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

WHATS A GOOD CAPACITOR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aluma Pro CAP

It's not that the Aluma Pro isn't any good; there are just more efficient ways of going about this. The CAPS only job is to replace transient responses that the battery alone can not reproduce for an extended length of time. If you are using an amplifier(s) with regulated power supplies, then a CAP is not going to do much good for you. It will still do something, but not what most people are "sold" on to thinking they do. The Aluma Pro CAP, especially the 15 farad, is so big and slow, it is probably a better battery then CAP. Fully charged, I bet it can run your system for a minute! That doesn’t sound like quick bursts of energy to me. But, if you already have it and are using it and got a good deal on it, then use it. Or, sell it to someone and get a few Lightning Audio or like CAPS instead.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it looks like i wasted my money on that aluma pro cap then, what if i just keep my 1 farad lighting audio cap, go with a a kinetic or yellow top and a high performance alternator? any and all suggestions on alternators ?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CAPS

If you are using less than 1000 watts, then stick with the 1 farad CAP you have. The battery upgrade won't hurt. Ohiogenerator.com has some reliable products you can get.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok here is the breakdown of my sysem:

2 x 12" subs
description:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...5&locale=en_US

1 x amp
description:
http://www.acaraudio.com/product_inf...618b47f6fda058

1 x stock battery

1 x lighting audio 1 farad cap

that pretty much is it people

i appreciate any and all upgrade comments!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your 1 farad CAP is good nuff. that amp is non regulated pwer supply amplifier and can use the help. i am a little disapointed to see that you do not have mid/high components and amplification for them. is you system bass only? Are you using deck power for the highs and 800 watts to subs. that would be greatly imbalanced.
food for thought....
Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well right now i am just using my ppi amp for my subs in the back and my clarion is powering mid's/high's. i plan on upgrading the mid's and high's to mbquarts and i have an extra ppi am just for those as well. but i thought i work on the bass which at this moment mostly makes my system a bass system. let me know your input bro, i appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like my Dad says, it is what it is. But, if i were you, i would get a good 75 x4 amp with a high pass fully adjustible crossover before changing the speaks. the overall volume will be higher and even with the stock speakers, your sound quality will go up. if your looking for recomendations, i can do that as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am interested in your recommendations oh, i will get the specs on that other ppi am i have, what do you think of the mbquartz for the upgrade ?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Persanaly, i think MB Quart lost their luster when Rockford Fosaget bought themout. the company has taken a lot of turns for the worst. damn shame too, i was one of their biggest fans.
My new fav is JL Audio's XR or ZR series. i think they are one of the most underated speakers on the market. if money was no object, i would buy the Focal K2 Power series or Dynaudio.
And just a friendly suggestion, Eclipse head units have thee best sound quality bar none. I understand that every one has their own preferance, so use what you like. I am an audio freak, and i am always looking to make my system sound better.