Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xB Audio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB Audio Questions

It has been a lil over a month since my original post and now I have enough $$$ for my xB Audio upgrade.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0

- I am not looking for a top of the line audio system. I want more of a middle of the road b/c I am a recording engineer and need to listen to music in an average environment but the stock system isn't cutting it. I want to be able to have the flexibility to turn off the sub(s) and still have good sound coming from the speakers but also have powerful bass from the sub(s) when needed.

- I listen to many different styles of music ranging from 50 cent, Ludacris, Green Day, Thrice, The Used, Mudvayne, Nickelback, Pantera, Old Metallica, Run DMC, Good Charlotte, Audio Slave, Led Zeppelin, Meshuggah.....

- I am wondering if I should run 2 amps: Mono amp for sub(s) and 4 channel amp for speakers or just power the speakers from the HU?

- Will my battery and alternator be able to handle all this or will I need a 1.0-farad Capacitor?

- How and Where is the best place to mount the Amp(s) and Sub(s) b/c I may have to remove them when moving large music gear. I also take my 4 large dogs ( www.SullyAndCorey.com ) for rides a lot and don't want the Amp(s) or sub(s) to get damaged but they are usually calm in the car and don't move around a lot b/c their to busy hanging their heads out the windows and getting slobber all over the sides of the car.

Here is the list of gear I have been looking at. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions but please no bashing or immature comments b/c I already know I'm clueless when it comes to Car Audio and that is why I am posting here.

I will be getting everything except the speaker baffles from millionbuy.com

- Pioneer DEH-P6700MP $159.95 - CD Player 22w RMS x 4
- Pioneer TS-A1057 $45.95 - 4" 2-way Dash Speakers
- Pioneer TS-A1681R $45.95 - 6.5" 4-way Front Door Speakers and maybe in back w/ Scosche SASCN656
- Pioneer TS-A1370R $45.95 - 5.25 3-way Back Speakers or maybe use same as Fronts w/ Scosche SASCN656
- Street Machine Systems Pioneer P-Bus to RCA $15.95 - for HU Aux input
- HITRON KIT4 $23.95 - 4 gauge amp wires
- Scosche SAT6 $7.95 - 6.5" Front Speaker Baffles
- Scosche SASCN656 $8.95 - 5.25" or 6.5" Back Speaker Baffles
- KENWOOD KAC-9152D $199.95 - 500w RMS x 1 @ 4ohms, 900w RMS x 1 @ 2ohm - Should I just use the HU to power the speakers?
- KENWOOD KAC-8452 $149.95 - 60w RMS x 4 @ 4ohms, 90w RMS x 4 @ 2ohms
- American International TOY-K969 or Scosche SCN2056B $12.95 - HU Dash Kit
- American International TWH-950 or Scosche TA02B $4.95 - HU wire Hareness
- Sub(s) - I have no clue what to get?

Thanx
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

alrighty i don't have time to read the old thread, but from what i'm seeing about what you want, i'd recommend a small small amp for the components. For a sub, the easiest/most movable in my opinion is anything similar to what i use- an oldschool (they make newer ones, and make em good) bazooka tube that is mounted on the back of the rear passenger side seat with the amp in the subfloor compartment. That allows me to unhook the sub and unplug the remote turn-on lead to shut off the amp and get myself some space by folding down the seat. Attaching it to the seat also allows to me fold it forward (it fits PERFECTLY) and then have the full trunk area with no sub in it for smaller loads (although you may as well put them in the back seat).

Hope that helps
Old 07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd suggest taking the $150 from the speakers, and getting a good component system instead......like a CDT system or eD system.....both can be had for $150 and with them up front, it will give you a better soundstage....plus the component system will give you full sound (provided it's 6.5" or better) and will be almost invincible to distortion if hooked up and tuned properly.....

with the 4-way,3-way,and coaxials, you'll most likely experience harsh sound unless you can get a good EQ....

summary: either get a good EQ for all speakers or get a component system....I think eD's 6000 series is like $125 right now...
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SCI_TC_GUY,
Where can I find info about eD's 6000 series or CDT system and where can I buy them online?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GotMetalBoy,

eD is elementaldesigns.com and CDT you might find at cardomain.com or even try ebay or just try google. These are very good speakers.

jallamas
Old 07-29-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CDT can be found at www.thezeb.com and not at www.cardomain.com, the zeb is also on eBay.

jallamas
Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

elemental design is www.edesignaudio.com

eD's are awesome speakers....great quality and awesome sound!!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, both www sites addresses work for eDesigns, www.elementaldesigns.com.

jallamas
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

I am not looking for a top of the line audio system. I want more of a middle of the road b/c I am a recording engineer and need to listen to music in an average environment but the stock system isn't cutting it.
If you're really looking for middle of the road stuff and don't want everything to sound great, you probably don't want to go into a full amp'd component setup. Stick with the 3/4-ways and that'll give you the most "average" non-stock sound you're gonna get. After that, you go away from normal and get into hearing things most systems won't hear.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ as stated before, 3 and 4 ways are going to be rather harsh unless extensively tuned.....components will give you more of a balanced sound output.....there are plenty of "middle of the road" components that are still going to sound great.....

Why spend the same amount of money on 3 and 4 ways and EQ's when you can have better sound from components and an amp???
Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

my 4 way front speakers and 2 way dash and rear speakers sound pretty good but i have a pretty decent headunit equilizer with many adjustments possible.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't doubt that hotbox....but that sme HU with a component system would probably sound better.....

granted it depends on the quality of the speakers and components, for example, if you took JL VR Components and JL VR Coaxials, the components are going to sound better because of the crossover features and the ability to position the tweeters for sound staging.....
Old 08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: xB Audio Questions

Originally Posted by GotMetalBoy
- I am wondering if I should run 2 amps: Mono amp for sub(s) and 4 channel amp for speakers or just power the speakers from the HU?

- Will my battery and alternator be able to handle all this or will I need a 1.0-farad Capacitor?
I didn't read your old thread, but I'd definately look into some components for the front. There is plenty of middle-road stuff out there that sounds great. How much are you comfortable in spending? The rear speakers you are better off just keeping the stock stuff, but if you want to upgrade them the Pioneers you mentioned are fine.

As far as the subwoofer goes, you could pick up a Peerless XLS 10" or 12". They can go into a sealed enclosure that comes out to about 0.4ft³ and 0.6ft³ respectively. They are also efficient, so a decent sized amp would make them sound loud and very nice. We used one in this 350z, and it rocked.

Amps - I'd go with 2 amps, a 4 channel for your speakers, and a 2 channel for your subwoofer. eD makes some great amps, but I hear they have some kind of shady Ebay discount deal going on. I'd have to get you some more info on that. Here are some more amps you could look into (just off the top of my head)

sub
MTX 1501D - ~$175 shipped from Ebay. VERY strong amp for your subs, but its a maybe 2-3 years old now.
Digital Designs C1 - new amp, very strong as well. ~$350 www.ddaudio.com
US amps I/S 2200 - rated 700x1 @ 4ohms ~ $450 www.usamps.com
Elemental Designs NINe.1 - 1200x1 @ 1ohm ~$300, but I hear you can get some sort of discount through Ebay. I'd have to check on that. Does use some stamped kicker components inside.

speakers
Elemental Designs NINe.4 - I think you get a pretty good deal on it if you buy it with the NINe.1 Very nice amp. A friend has it in his ride and loves it.
Digital Designs C4 - dual power supplies and can be wired down to a very low ohm load.

Don't run any of your speakers off of your headunit if at all possible. No matter what your head unit power rating is, it will never pump out more than 12watts per channel. That goes for 99% of the radios out there today.

Your battery and alternator may be able to handle the load, but don't waste your money on a 1-farad cap. They don't store enough energy to do anything, and the ones with the digital readout increase the electrical resistance in your car. That means it'll cause more "blinking" in some cases. If you need a cap, you can get a Batcap for ~ $175. At the average price of a cap (~$50-$150) you could spend that on the Batcap. The smallest batcap is estimated to be equivilant. to about 30 1-farad caps. I've wired up several and they are awesome. www.batcap.net

If you NEED an alternator, contact Excessive Amperage. They make great stuff. www.excessiveamperage.com

Best place to mount everything? How about like this?