Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xB dash speaker help needed - pix of problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member

i was going to get some infinity 4 inch refrence speakers for the front like that, any reasons why i should go with pioneer over the ones i am looking at?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man! My thread is still running?!? With added pix? Awesome!

Ps... hey pacmanpunk5 - anytime, anyone says "just use a screwdriver to pry it up" take caution and don't use a screwdiver - check out the nicks in the pix - I used a wooden paint stir stick - it comes up very easy...
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kloquewerk
I think they're talking about the black cap, not the blue clip.
CORRECT!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by sciondealerI
ok the guy who insists the speakers need caps plz refrain from advising others cuz ur makin ppl spend money they dont need to be spendin ok thank u caps r for bull---- factory speakers aftermarket specially pioneers are fine without them 6 years puttin speakers i think i would know next time u try to make someone look bad plzknow what ur talkin about
i've been putting speakers in for as long as you have. and yes i blew one from these full range speakers not liking the bass.....so talk whatever you want. caps are as cheap as 5.00 a pair. so it's not like people are going to break the bank with insurance. and do you like the sound of 60 or 80 or 100 hz coming from a midline 4 inch woofer? i think not....
Old 10-01-2005, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sup guys, just wanted to give you one small bit of advise if you want it... try making a baffle to seperate the top from the bottome of the speaker. if you have a small gap around the speaker like that the music will cancel itself out some what. just my .02
Old 10-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good advice, a_dvs_1.

With the OEM speakers it was OK because they had no low-end response, but with the 4" Pioneers there are frequencies low enough, and the cancellation path is short enough, to cause a problem.

(If that doesn't make sense, just do something to block the sound from the back of the speaker from coming out around the front. Foam sandwich poster-board would work, even.)

The thing with the non-polarized capacitor to block really low, low frequencies from getting to the speaker - You don't want the same value used with the OEM speaker, that would have too high a 'cutoff' frequency to make sense - you'd lose some of what you gained with the speaker change.

If the speaker does not distort when pushed hard from the OEM head unit, you may not need the capacitor to protect the speaker from too high levels at low frequencies.

Logically, though, those little four inchers will be driven into overexcursion and could sound bad, or even hurt themselves. In that case you'd want some sort of cap in there to reduce the amount of really low frequency power coming in to them.

Not having looked closely at what's there, yet, I can't tell you the value I would use.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

good idea with the lil plates to "semi" seal off the front and back airspace. now if i can figure our how to do it and what to use i'll be set. it'll be a fun , (hopefully) cheap easy project.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member

ok hotbox05 ur killin me here u blew a speaker becuase the power range was not as high as u thought or u connect the wire wrong or ur radio settings of bass and treble may have been tooo high not cuz of a lack of a cap when u install aftermarket speakers u keep things simple bass on the highest level 2 mid on like 4 and treble can be like 5 these settings if ur radio goes up to 6 its simple do the math
Old 10-02-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

to make a makeshift baffle for the speaker seperation i used to use this putty like material. Don't remember where we got it from, but we would just shape it around the voids to help. Maybe you can do a google search for something like that. I just make mine out of wood. Of course most of the time i reconstruct the dash to make everything sit at the angle i want for deflection and time path equality. Hope that helped.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
ok the guy who insists the speakers need caps plz refrain from advising others cuz ur makin ppl spend money they dont need to be spendin ok thank u caps r for bull---- factory speakers aftermarket specially pioneers are fine without them 6 years puttin speakers i think i would know next time u try to make someone look bad plzknow what ur talkin about
i've been putting speakers in for as long as you have. and yes i blew one from these full range speakers not liking the bass.....so talk whatever you want. caps are as cheap as 5.00 a pair. so it's not like people are going to break the bank with insurance. and do you like the sound of 60 or 80 or 100 hz coming from a midline 4 inch woofer? i think not....
I have been putting together large audio systems for most of my life. And I am not talking about a few subs and mids. I am talking about concert sound systems with people like PNTA, Carlson Audio and quite a few others.

I will spend the extra cash to do it right because after a while the connections will get loose and fail. Anyone who feels they really need to save that kind of money should not be putting speakers into cars.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok hotbox05 ur killin me here u blew a speaker becuase the power range was not as high as u thought or u connect the wire wrong or ur radio settings of bass and treble may have been tooo high not cuz of a lack of a cap when u install aftermarket speakers u keep things simple bass on the highest level 2 mid on like 4 and treble can be like 5 these settings if ur radio goes up to 6 its simple do the math
whatever you wanna think bro. with bass blockers i can run higher bass for the rest of the system yet cancel out teh bass from the 4 inchers..... think what you will. and no i didnt connect any goddamned wire wrong what am i an idiot? think not.

i know how to equalize my setup. and without using a crossover bassblockers work quite perfectly for me and my setup.

so with yer out of 6 analogy . if someone likes more bass yet the still want 4 inchers they should either hate themselves for not raising the bass cuz oh wait theyd blow their speaker...hmmm or oh yeah do what i did. install a cap aka bassblocker and they can run more bass just save the 4 incher from receiving it all. get what i'm saying ?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by ScionofKirkland
I have been putting together large audio systems for most of my life. And I am not talking about a few subs and mids. I am talking about concert sound systems with people like PNTA, Carlson Audio and quite a few others.

I will spend the extra cash to do it right because after a while the connections will get loose and fail. Anyone who feels they really need to save that kind of money should not be putting speakers into cars.
spend extra cash to do what right? i wasnt arguing with you. lol.....
what connections will get loose and fail? i know I for 1 solder all connections.....
save money how? i was just stating if you were to use a cap aka bassblocker you will have alot smaller chance of blowing your 4 inch speaker....
Old 10-02-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionofKirkland

spend extra cash to do what right? i wasnt arguing with you. lol.....
what connections will get loose and fail? i know I for 1 solder all connections.....
save money how? i was just stating if you were to use a cap aka bassblocker you will have alot smaller chance of blowing your 4 inch speaker....
I was not talking about you ^_^ I was talking about sciondealerI
Old 10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ah ok. lol my apologies
Old 10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any time I see posts giving poor technical advice I cringe...
cut the wires from behind the factory speaker and attach via electric tape to the prongs of the new speaker. tape will hold the wires in place. ...all u do is splice the wires giving urself about 1 and 1/2 inch of bare wire twist the bare wire to make it as thin as possible and slide the bare wir thru the holes about half way then twist the 2 hlves together and put a lil tape and ur set. ur ready to put ur peaker back. hope i helped if not let me know.
And saying that one has done something for years does not convince me that it is being done correctly...
Unless one knows not only how to do something correctly, but why it is done that way, one should not be giving advice.

This is the internet. On here one can say they are a Nobel Laureate and some might believe. One needs to evaluate the quality of what one is told - to read everything through the eyes of a skeptic.

I can tell you that I spent 15 years as a tech in broadcasting, the military, and in telecommunications, more years as an engineer, engineering manager, project manager, company CTO and consultant. I can go on about building my first stereo amp from scratch in 1958 (Williamson design, tube type with push-pull pentode finals) and continued designing and building my own gear. I can mention that I worked in a recording studio. Even though that is all true, it is just words on the internet and anyone could say them. You have to learn to judge the quality of information you are given by other means...

(1) Don't just stuff wires through holes, twist them, and cover them with tape. That only conceals a poor job.

(2) Make sure your speakers are phased the same side-to-side to prevent imaging problems and cancellations. The two lugs on the speaker are different. Always hook the 'hot' wire to the same side of the speaker.

(3) Don't assume that a tiny speaker will sound good driven with too much low frequency power even if it can handle the power without damage. Block those low frequencies.

Two sets of answers. Choice is yours. Choose your source. Apologies to anyone annoyed.

(OK, I'll crawl back under my rock, now. )
Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

ok first off the lil trio here tryin to get on me can have all the fun they want wen ur done take a walk over here and look at sum trophies for systems oh wait while ur here look at the plaques too as a matter fact go check the last 2 escaldes i did that won best in class plus just so u know wirin a home stereo or concert system is a lil different than cars if u aint know by the way i have yet to have a complaint or something go wront so till it does ima keep giving my advice thanks alot fellas i appreciate all ur attention
Old 10-03-2005, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

by the way mister i fix concert sytems i have also been a dj for clubs such as jimmy`s and nite cap and sports plus cafe and m t pockets and... too much to list and i wired some of their systems as well so ask b4 u try to be better than someone
and i did not need give a guy advice to get jumped on by some guys who swear they know sh-t but were too busy to help the guy in the first place i was lookin out for him he asked i ans whered were all u know it alls b4 now as for this tomas guy im glad u can wire ur own radio good job ( get this guy a biscuit) im glad u make ur own system great job buddy but wires thru holes as u politely put is not a poor job its a job done right jus ask my many customers who keep comin back and have been to other places and jus prefer my services more
as for the gentleman who asked the how to question i`m not a know it all i how to answer ur question this time and i hope i helped however next time if u need help either pm me or ask one of these great know it alls here they seem to know so much
Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a little late to the game again here but I did want to say good eye, good eye... regarding the needing of a baffle. It really is a must.... and should be commen sense if your the one putting the speaker in. I failed to actually mention it in my last post cuz I was just caught up in the whole cap issue...but it is one of those "duh's... ya gotta have a baffle!

I think the person who asked the question about the cap has got his answer.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

sciondealerI , the more you post the worse you sound.

Just let it slide unless you like people having bad opinions of you.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

no hotbox i care what ppl think of me the ppl that matter my family my friends my employers my customers those ppl matter all i did was attempt t help a guy here and all got was ppl talkin a lot of shi- like u and ur friends all i did was offer advice to a guy if u feel das wrong then im sorry but im not gonna stop helpin ppl jus cuz a few fools wanna jump on me for givin help where they did not

Quick Reply: xB dash speaker help needed - pix of problem...