Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XB DVD Headrest monitor or Overhead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default XB DVD Headrest monitor or Overhead?

I want rear seat dvd entertainment. What are the pros and cons to headrest monitors or the overhead system? I like how they both look. However; I am leaning towards the headrest monitors.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member

Did you get the monitors> If you did send me a link for the ones you got.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like both. I went with headrest monitors. A flipdown screen from the roof could cause some trouble when looking in your rear view mirror or just be a distraction. Although they are nice
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I dont understand why anyone would ruin their car with tacky , hideous over head monitors. hell imo moniters in general are played out but tacky square pieces of plastic hanging from the ceiling is bad.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

headrests are the best way to go
Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been debating the same thing. I personally think the headrest monitors look better and are a cleaner install. The two problems I see with them are:
-unless you find a way to cover them when not in use, you're basically begging someone to break into your car.

-You obviously are going to want to buy two monitors or it's going to look stupid. Overhead systems would use only one. One = cheaper.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I say overhead- Its not tacky- Its less expensive and you can have a much bigger screen
Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are good and bad factors either way you go. You could always run dual sources with 2 HR monitors so 2 people can watch 2 diff. things. With HR monitors they are pretty much right in front of the viewer and no need to keep looking up or twisting your neck to look at. Easy to replace HR when you get rid of car unlike a big hole in your headliner. Some places offer HR monitors already built in a headrest. Overheads are typically cheaper though. Yes they come in bigger sizes. They will block your rearview though. You can get covers to slip over your HR monitors to cover them up as well. My mother-in-law made mine. I will post some pics as soon as I can.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I used to drive a large box truck, so Im used to not having a rear view- lol
Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jmarks1998
....You can get covers to slip over your HR monitors to cover them up as well. My mother-in-law made mine. I will post some pics as soon as I can.
Yeah, I'd like to see them. Also, what type of DVD player are you using? Where is it mounted and do you use headphones? Does it have anything to do with your stereo, or are they two separate systems? Sorry for all the questions...thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my wife's PW xB I have a Pioneer Avic-n1 in dash and the video output is fed to 2 Innovatek 7" HR monitors. I am planning on adding an additional dvd player in the xB cubby pocket so the backseat can watch diff. from front seat or on trips we can leave the nav. disc in and have a dvd still playing.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by TheIcon
I like both. I went with headrest monitors. A flipdown screen from the roof could cause some trouble when looking in your rear view mirror or just be a distraction. Although they are nice
Ditto...I did the Vizualogic setup for the headrests. Wireless headsets and everything. Love them!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still a little confused (bare mith me....I'm a little slow sometimes).
If I want to put a DVD player in our xB, but I don't want to replace or tamper with the current factory stereo, how would I do it? Can I get a stand-alone DVD player that will have it's own power source and that can be mounted somewhere other than where the stereo goes? If so, where is a good place to put one in a xB? Pics?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do a totally seperate stand alone solution and not have it tied into the stereo at all, or you can have one that works with the stereo and has headphones.

Basically you could do a small dvd that fits in your cubby hole of under a seat and run it into either headrest monitors or overhead and have headphones for them, or you can do the same exact thing but add an FM modulator and have the audio run through your radio when you want it to or switch it off and have it fed through headphones.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved to ICE...
Old 06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like those ideas! Have you ever seen a DVD player that's small enough to mount in the cubbyhole space? I'd rather not have to cut or modify the car. I also like the FM modulator idea.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I have the DVD player in the small cubby and monitors in my headrests. I didn't want the over head drop down as it would block the line of sight out of my rear view mirror.

My DVD player is wired into my eq so I wouldn';t have to deal w/ the FM modulator.

I don't have wireless headphones either.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the myron and davis 7" headrest monitors. they are already made pre ordered so you don't have to cut your headrest... My dvd player fits perfect in the cubby hole and i also have an fm modular which goes perfect with my stock radio...Now i also have a game port installed which allows me to play games on screen and watch a movie on the other..... and the picture quality is awesome.... also the Myron and Davis headrest monitors come with Covers as well.... people can't tell if i have monitors or net when covered...... My little 3 year old loves watching movies... especially on long trips....
Old 06-16-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Squirrel & scion619, post pics!!! I'd love to see those set-ups!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://photobucket.com/albums/y148/b...Picture182.jpg

this is the only pic i have its not that clear...... i'll try and take some new pics....

Quick Reply: XB DVD Headrest monitor or Overhead?