Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Aftermarket springs & shocks vs. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Aftermarket springs & shocks vs. Coilovers

I plan on lowering my xb, as soon as I get my rims, but want to know what is the best, hassle-free way to do it. I don't plan on racing, I'm more of a cruiser. I don't know whether to go with 2" aftermarket springs (probably goldlines) & Trd shocks/struts, spy's springs & shocks combo, or coilovers? Any info. or opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

Coil springs and struts are the most cost effective means.

Coilover suspension like TEIN , Tanabe are a great set up so you can raise and lower the vehicle. Some include damping adjustability, pre- load and camber plates.
-------- Nice kit if plan on changing any of the above features for the track for example.

If you anticipate to just lower the car once and improve handling from stock.
I'd go with Spring set and TRD Struts.

Hope it helps!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for all the info, trdxyr!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can't afford a true coil-over kit you can always look at a sleeve kit which uses a stut and lets you adjust the ride height. if it is for cruising, springs will be the way to go.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do you know anyone who has used the sleeve kit, compared to full coil-over kit? Any pros/cons to this setup?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member

I'm very familiar with the Sleeve kit. I don't recommend them in my opinion that's why I didn't mention it.

My experience has been less than favorable with the sleeve kit. Some rattle and make noise.

If youare really serious of getting the sleeve style kits. Please use uprated struts and use a quality kit like "Ground Control" Some owners of AE86 weld them on to the struts to keep them from moving.

Rule of thumb in the aftermarket parts business "You get what you pay for"

By no means I'm discouraging anybody... It's just been my experience with the Import scene of almost 12 years.

Hope it helps!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best way to approach the lowering of your car is to determine how low you will ultimately want to go. If it's no more than 55mm down, then you can get away with just a set of aftermarket springs (the lowest most aftermarket springs for the bB and ist go is 55mm because that is the limit at which your stock shocks and struts stop working effectively) with the stock struts/shocks. Being that your stock struts/shocks will have such low mileage on them, they will last for a pretty long time, even with aftermarket springs. Of course, their lifespan will also be contingent on the sort of streets you drive on. Crazy bumpy roads with potholes and expansion joints galore will of course kill your shocks quicker. If you know that you will want to go lower than 55mm down, then your only true option is to go with coilovers or an air suspension setup. Disadvantage to taking this route: $$$
Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to lower my car now but need to lift it again in March for a trip to Mexico .I'll be driving on a few dirt roads and nasty speed bumps. I know coilovers are the way to go but I think that the price for them is still too high and will probably come down once more companies (like Ground Control) start selling them for the xb. I was thinking of just throwing on some Goldlines or Spys for now(what's better?) and putting the stock ones back on in March. Would my shocks still work well with the OG springs after a few months of driving with a 2" drop?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdxyr
I'm very familiar with the Sleeve kit. I don't recommend them in my opinion that's why I didn't mention it.

My experience has been less than favorable with the sleeve kit. Some rattle and make noise.

If youare really serious of getting the sleeve style kits. Please use uprated struts and use a quality kit like "Ground Control" Some owners of AE86 weld them on to the struts to keep them from moving.

Rule of thumb in the aftermarket parts business "You get what you pay for"

By no means I'm discouraging anybody... It's just been my experience with the Import scene of almost 12 years.

Hope it helps!
i would recommend getting only ground control if you get a sleeve kit. they are great quality.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Does anyone know the reliability/longevity between aftermarket springs/shocks vs. coilovers? I'd want a setup that would last for a very long time, and hassle-free. Also, does the ride's smoothness/stiffness differ between the two setups?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:46 PM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem with lowering your car with springs and not switching out the struts is that your struts have a higher chance of going out. The struts are specifically made for a specific amount of travel. Decreasing that travel decreases the longevity of your struts. The true way to do it is to go get new struts for the drop you want to do, and get lowering springs. Don't get me wrong, I've heard of lowered cars with stock struts still going after 10 years. I think it may be kinda hit and miss. I've also heard of cars going for a year and having to buy new struts. As far as the longevity of springs vs coilovers, from what I gather it's pretty much the same. So long as you get decent brands of both you're pretty okay. The difference is really in price. For some TRUE coilovers you're looking at spending a good $500+ whereas with springs about $200. You're paying the extra money for the adjustability. I would also imagine that the ride quality is based on the spring or coilover. Lots of people running the spys say that the ride quality is improved. I'd definately do a search just to see peoples opinions of them. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionVan
The best way to approach the lowering of your car is to determine how low you will ultimately want to go. If it's no more than 55mm down, then you can get away with just a set of aftermarket springs (the lowest most aftermarket springs for the bB and ist go is 55mm because that is the limit at which your stock shocks and struts stop working effectively) with the stock struts/shocks. Being that your stock struts/shocks will have such low mileage on them, they will last for a pretty long time, even with aftermarket springs. Of course, their lifespan will also be contingent on the sort of streets you drive on. Crazy bumpy roads with potholes and expansion joints galore will of course kill your shocks quicker. If you know that you will want to go lower than 55mm down, then your only true option is to go with coilovers or an air suspension setup. Disadvantage to taking this route: $$$
What if you really only want to improve the ride and handling and are not interested in the lower profile that most of the combos give? The stock ride is fine (way better than my good old Samurai) but, could it be improved upon without sacrificing the great handling? I should also mention that the handling I am referring to is by way of Hotchkis swaybars...I am more of a cruiser by definition but, I do like to drive fast!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by obz
The problem with lowering your car with springs and not switching out the struts is that your struts have a higher chance of going out. The struts are specifically made for a specific amount of travel. Decreasing that travel decreases the longevity of your struts. The true way to do it is to go get new struts for the drop you want to do, and get lowering springs. Don't get me wrong, I've heard of lowered cars with stock struts still going after 10 years. I think it may be kinda hit and miss. I've also heard of cars going for a year and having to buy new struts. As far as the longevity of springs vs coilovers, from what I gather it's pretty much the same. So long as you get decent brands of both you're pretty okay. The difference is really in price. For some TRUE coilovers you're looking at spending a good $500+ whereas with springs about $200. You're paying the extra money for the adjustability. I would also imagine that the ride quality is based on the spring or coilover. Lots of people running the spys say that the ride quality is improved. I'd definately do a search just to see peoples opinions of them. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
What I meant to ask was: Are aftermarket springs (ex. 2" Goldlines) compatible with the TRD struts, or were they only designed to work with TRD springs? This is the setup I plan on using, unless it's not possible...
Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trd struts can be used with any springs. If you wann go real low, and you are just a "cruiser" i would recommend the air setup....as i'm sure eric would tell u, its just for cruzin tho, no fast cornering etc. but, if u still wanna go real lo and still race around and stuff, then get the coilovers or the springs
Old 01-22-2004, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ground Control Kit is available now for $419.00
For info or pictures(or both), just send me a PM