Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

is it bad to cut the springs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default is it bad to cut the springs??

yes i want to drop my 05 xa and i was wondering if cutting the springs will affect the car in any bad way. is it true that you can not align your car please give suggestion thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

very bad......

why even think about it seriously?

just think about how you would cut it, the coils would no longer sit flat on the seats, there would be a sharp point digging in, and god know how it would feel!

i would recommend eBay springs before even trying this

(ps. get ur flame suit ready)
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a horrible idea also because those springs are made to compress that whole distance so they are soft enough for that, when you get rid of that room/length they will bottom easily and should you be cornering hard and if the road is anything but perfectly smooth the car will loose traction-they would actually make the car handle worse even though it's lower.

I bought the Voghtlands off ebay for $150ish shipped and they are cold wound and progressive (which means they get firmer as the car starts to compress) so they allow the car to handle great without bottoming or being super stiff-they lowered it about 40mm (so 1.7 inches)

The teins are great too 'h' models lowers it about an inch, the 's' models lower it about 2 inches
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Some will say nothing wrong with it most will say dont do it I am with the ones that say no dont do it.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont do it.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad deal, don't do it.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Springs can be cut but then the cut end must be heated and bent down flat again. The heating weakens the metal and it may break there later. If there are any smaller coils at the end that end can not be cut down. Results vary as far as ride height and stiffness (even from corner to corner of the car as the cutting and heating process is not exact.).

Good drop springs are sold at very reasonable prices. I highly suggest a progressive rate drop spring set. I had some Goldlines with a 2" drop that I loved (before I switched the car to air ride...they rode better than stock or the air ride) and they cost me well under 200 clams.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, don't cut springs. Springs are inexpensive and hold your car up. Do it right.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i cut my fronts 1+ year ago cause i cant imagine much lower then stock. I cut 1 3/4 coil and me gave a .6 inch drop. Just take ur time measuring so both springs are even, halla
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys you can not be that negative people that i know have done it and it is not that bad i think i am going to do it on saturday. does cutting the spring will affect the aligment of the car??
Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, it will affect the alignment.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by carlitoselcool1
hey guys you can not be that negative people that I know have done it and it is not that bad i think i am going to do it on saturday. does cutting the spring will affect the aligment of the car??
Any change in the ride height of the front suspension will change the toe-in so an alignment is needed after changing or cutting springs.

If you are going to cut coil springs then in most cases cutting anything other than full coils off is not a good idea. The ends of the springs need to align with the uneven seats at the top and bottom of the springs (where they mount), in most cases cutting more or less than a full coil (or 2 full coils etc.) will not allow the springs to seat properly in the mounts.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very very very bad idea back int he days 1997ish we use to cut springs on cars that did not have lowing springs made by company's do not do it... !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 AM

Seriously dude, rethink it. The 4 inch drop you're looking for will ruin your springs and your ride. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 AM
SL Member

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I mean, the saying, "if a thousand people jumped off a roof would you jump" comes into play, but COME ON! If everybody on here says for you not to do it and ur gonna, why even ask?
Old 10-17-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you know those cars where it looks like the guys are getting whiplash from the rollercoaster ride they're on. Helmets would be really beneficial if you plan on cutting the springs, since you should expect to hit your head on the headliner.

Dont do it, why waste your time? The springs are like 180 brand new, get a friend and put them on. Go to a shop and get it aligned, it is much smarter!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Default Re: is it bad to cut the springs??

yes i want to drop my 05 xa and i was wondering if cutting the springs will affect the car in any bad way. is it true that you can not align your car please give suggestion thanks
Cutting the springs will NEGATIVELY affect the alignment, spring rate, suspension travel, and thus negatively altering your handling, life of the shocks/struts, and your personal safety.

You asked if cutting the springs would affect the car in any negative way. Well a lot of people answered you, and you still choose to ignore them. This thread is becoming useless. I will say it one more time; don't do it. You can buy TRD springs which give you a small drop, or Goldlines which will slam the car for dirt cheap on this forum. Any spring is WAY better than cut or heated springs. Those companies that offer springs for our car come with their determined drop and spring rate because they R&D'd to figure out how to lower the car without sacrificing the safety, and ride quality. When you start modifying your suspension with your halfassed work, your car will become halfassed!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

well I have been running on cut stock springs for a little over 4 years now on my 04 xB.
if you change stuff out the ride is not as harsh as some cars. My car actually rides smoother than my mom's stock 06. I have shorter shocks in the rear and the shorter echo struts.
I will say it has been a little extra work to run them, yes they are welded into place to keep them in the right spot. I did have an alignment afterwords.

but now that there are so many companies out there that make springs the easier thing to do would just go aftermarket. Although I knew a guy back in 04 that cut a coil off the TRD suspension to get the front even with the rear. So even after market can be cut too.

if you are wanting a 4+ inch drop you are better off going with air.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i was wondering if cutting the springs will affect the car in any bad way.
hey guys you can not be that negative people that i know have done it and it is not that bad
Seriously? You ask if it's bad... then people tell you it is bad... you decide to do it anyway. Not only that, you ask us to 'not be negative'.

If that's what you want, then by all means, cut your springs, have a great time. Don't come crying here when you go over a speed bump and your rear springs fly out.

/thread.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
If that's what you want, then by all means, cut your springs, have a great time. Don't come crying here when you go over a speed bump and your rear springs fly out.

/thread.
Gosh, and I thought I was HARSH. LOL.

Quick Reply: is it bad to cut the springs??