Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

is it bad to cut the springs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again, why cut your springs? it'll cost you money, and you'll lose a good set of stock springs ... and you compromise safety, handling, and comfort for what? a couple inches?

pony up a couple more bills and get a REAL set of springs
Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just gonna wait around for the "what's wrong with my car?" thread that'll pop up in a week.

EDIT: Or the "why am I so dead?" thread if one of his front springs fails on the highway and he spears into another car.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm eatting buttery popcorn mmmmmm its yummy
Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a question how can the spring fail??
Old 10-18-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

With the springs being but they won't sit correctly in the upper and lower seat. Springs are designed to be a specific height. In the front; with the spring being cut it might not be tall enough to sit in place, and with not enough preload you'll get a spring moving around everytime the suspension is decompressed. If you heat them they could crack and eventually break thus causing spring failure. As for the rear it's even more scary; With the way the torsion beam set up is desigined, The spring is literally wedged in place in the rear on the xA/xB, you cut them and they might not be tall enough to stay wedged in place. I've heard of coilover springs even falling out the rear suspension, which is why a lot of us are telling you to be patient, save some cash and do it right the first time. Like the saying goes; "Do it right, or don't do it at all"
Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look when you cut the springs the car will come down with the springs because the car is resting on top of the springs thats how the suspension works
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Seriously will a MOD lock this thread?!?

Go ahead and cut ur springs like a ____ing ricer, when you loose control of your car and hurt/kill someone/yourself then you'll know why. I have no idea why you even started this thread if all you end up doing is argue with every bit of advice we gave you. Some of us know what the ____ we're doing. I've built race cars for years, I'm talking about REAL TRACK CARS, if you browse this forum you'd notice I post mostly in the suspension forums. I've gone to school for this, I have expirence in this, and I work in the Automotive industry. Don't argue with me like im a ____ing moron. I know how suspension geomotery works, I know about Preload, I know alignment specs, and on top of that I have common sense.

I vote that someone locks this thread...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok kevin calm down i do not mean to offend anybody im trying to learn ok. fine i am not going to do it i got enough advices now kevin give a solutions to drop my car 4 inches in a safe and professional way please. i need to drop it because i have to much clearance with the new rims. so just tell me how can i drop it 4 in a professional way thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

I would go with lowering springs and see how I like the drop, Try to see if you can pick these up: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235747 What size rims and tires do you have? Do some research for which springs would get you the drop you want. When you find a lowering kit you like, ask us and we'll gladly tell you our opinions of it. After that just shop around, springs can go from $100 to $250 (a decently used set woud go for way cheaper), in the end it just depends which one you want.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wao man i like that drop of the xb my rims are 15 my tires 50 profile i like my car to look just like that xb but i measured from the tire to the top and its about 4 inches clearance thanks man what u think
Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK enough ranting people, here's an answer. You CAN cut the front springs, like 1/4 or 1/2 a coil will make a noticable difference. You should NOT cut the rears however. Your best bet is to get the lowest springs you can find (DF's, Spy or RSR Down springs) and go from there. If you end up with too much rake put some ICE in the back
Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, Monroe sensatrac echo struts in front are good for another .5" drop and will ride better too (especially with matching rear shocks)
Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by carlitoselcool1
look when you cut the springs the car will come down with the springs because the car is resting on top of the springs thats how the suspension works
Yes but you must remember that when the car comes off a rise the body can lift releasing most or maybe even all of the spring tension until the body settles back down onto the springs again. In the front it isn't such a big deal as these springs are captured on the strut...possible rattles, spring rotation...worst case sprig pops out of place sideways. In the rear the worst case is the spring pops out onto the ground.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Gothbox
well I have been running on cut stock springs for a little over 4 years now on my 04 xB.
if you change stuff out the ride is not as harsh as some cars. My car actually rides smoother than my mom's stock 06. I have shorter shocks in the rear and the shorter echo struts.
I will say it has been a little extra work to run them, yes they are welded into place to keep them in the right spot. I did have an alignment afterwords.

but now that there are so many companies out there that make springs the easier thing to do would just go aftermarket. Although I knew a guy back in 04 that cut a coil off the TRD suspension to get the front even with the rear. So even after market can be cut too.

if you are wanting a 4+ inch drop you are better off going with air.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

I would go with the Tanabe, Spy, or RSR springs, and get a set of Koni shocks (front and rear) the car will handle well, and be dropped significantly. Most people just get the springs and forget that the OEM shocks were not intended to work with the reduced shock travel and not valved for the aftermarket springs. A good shock and spring can not only make the car look nice with the lowered stance, but the car will be loads of fun when it corners well. Im on Koni's and S-Tech's, and the car handles well at the track along with the other parts I've installed. The S-tech's worked good for a while but now they're sagging horribly. I'm trying to get Espiler, RSR, or Swift springs myself.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by carlitoselcool1
wao man i like that drop of the xb my rims are 15 my tires 50 profile i like my car to look just like that xb but i measured from the tire to the top and its about 4 inches clearance thanks man what u think
With a 15 inch rim wrapped in 205 50/15 tires, a 2 inch drop will almost completely eliminate the wheel gap.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys thanks for all your help and advices on saturday i got some nice springs and it dropped about 3 inches now i am in love with my car i will put pictures later thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i swear, some of you guys never cease to amaze me, do you all work for osha? or are you guys iso inspectors? how many of you work for a coil spring company? just a little advice from someone that cut some springs on a car 17years ago, that car is still running around on the road today just like it was back then...sittin low and looking good...so if a guy wants to pull his springs out and spend 10 bucks getting a coil or two cut off then go for it. to say his car will fall apart or he will "spear" someone on the interstate is just stupid. not everyone wants to spend 200 bucks on some springs just to lower a car 1.7 inches.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bB384
Seriously will a MOD lock this thread?!?

Go ahead and cut ur springs like a flippin' ricer, when you loose control of your car and hurt/kill someone/yourself then you'll know why. I have no idea why you even started this thread if all you end up doing is argue with every bit of advice we gave you. Some of us know what the flip we're doing. I've built race cars for years, I'm talking about REAL TRACK CARS, if you browse this forum you'd notice I post mostly in the suspension forums. I've gone to school for this, I have expirence in this, and I work in the Automotive industry. Don't argue with me like im a flippin' moron. I know how suspension geomotery works, I know about Preload, I know alignment specs, and on top of that I have common sense.

I vote that someone locks this thread...

nothing like a 23 yr olds "experience" when it comes to someone asking a question on the internet. like i said in my previous post i was rollin on cut springs when you were 6 years old. i was building cars when you actually had to build them because you couldnt get on the internet and ask someone else how to do it or go to ebay and bid on parts.....please think before you post foolish nonsense.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1box2nv
i swear, some of you guys never cease to amaze me, do you all work for osha? or are you guys iso inspectors? how many of you work for a coil spring company? just a little advice from someone that cut some springs on a car 17years ago, that car is still running around on the road today just like it was back then...sittin low and looking good...so if a guy wants to pull his springs out and spend 10 bucks getting a coil or two cut off then go for it. to say his car will fall apart or he will "spear" someone on the interstate is just stupid. not everyone wants to spend 200 bucks on some springs just to lower a car 1.7 inches.
On some cars cutting the springs works ok, on others it works not so ok. Cut springs are almost never as good an option as new springs designed for the application. Many here (including myself) seek only to make sure the asker knows the possible drawbacks and difference.

I have a 1965 Corvair that I cut and heated down all 4 springs for a 2.5 or so inch drop. I have been driving it for years with no problems. It generally works ok. The shocks were changed for shorter units to limit the suspension down travel so losing a spring on rebound is not possible. The car works pretty well. Suspension bottoming is possible on big bumps however. IF they manufactured a drop spring set for this car and it was properly engineered, the same drop would be possible without any bottoming except in some extreme situation. Cut stock springs can not achieve this on the Corvair. Unfortunately no one makes proper drop springs for it. So yes you can cut springs for and get a good result, but, you need to be aware of the possible drawbacks, and, a cut spring will never be as good as a well engineered drop spring.
I also had cut springs in a 1972 Suburban I owned (I did not cut these springs myself). They rode a bit harsh and I also had one break where they had been heated. A set of progressive rate drop springs for under $200 gave the same drop and a much better ride.../shrug.

Quick Reply: is it bad to cut the springs??