Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

is it bad to cut the springs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed

I have a 1965 Corvair that I cut and heated down all 4 springs for a 2.5 or so inch drop. I have been driving it for years with no problems. It generally works ok. The shocks were changed for shorter units to limit the suspension down travel so losing a spring on rebound is not possible. The car works pretty well. Suspension bottoming is possible on big bumps however. IF they manufactured a drop spring set for this car and it was properly engineered, the same drop would be possible without any bottoming except in some extreme situation. Cut stock springs can not achieve this on the Corvair. Unfortunately no one makes proper drop springs for it. So yes you can cut springs for and get a good result, but, you need to be aware of the possible drawbacks, and, a cut spring will never be as good as a well engineered drop spring.
I also had cut springs in a 1972 Suburban I owned (I did not cut these springs myself). They rode a bit harsh and I also had one break where they had been heated. A set of progressive rate drop springs for under $200 gave the same drop and a much better ride.../shrug.

hold up! you have not only had one car with cut springs but you have had two! and you get on here and flame a guy for asking about it and call him a ricer? unbelievable!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks 1box appreciate it i know i told them all to stop being that negative i have 3 friends riding on cut springs and its fine i went to cut them but the speed shop some how got confuse and put me a set of springs any ways my car looks hottt1!!! i love it thanks guys and be more positive se ya
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1box2nv
Originally Posted by TerribleTed

I have a 1965 Corvair that I cut and heated down all 4 springs for a 2.5 or so inch drop. I have been driving it for years with no problems. It generally works ok. The shocks were changed for shorter units to limit the suspension down travel so losing a spring on rebound is not possible. The car works pretty well. Suspension bottoming is possible on big bumps however. IF they manufactured a drop spring set for this car and it was properly engineered, the same drop would be possible without any bottoming except in some extreme situation. Cut stock springs can not achieve this on the Corvair. Unfortunately no one makes proper drop springs for it. So yes you can cut springs for and get a good result, but, you need to be aware of the possible drawbacks, and, a cut spring will never be as good as a well engineered drop spring.
I also had cut springs in a 1972 Suburban I owned (I did not cut these springs myself). They rode a bit harsh and I also had one break where they had been heated. A set of progressive rate drop springs for under $200 gave the same drop and a much better ride.../shrug.

hold up! you have not only had one car with cut springs but you have had two! and you get on here and flame a guy for asking about it and call him a ricer? unbelievable!
HOLD ON>>>> I flamed no one!! I certainly never called anyone a ricer. I only imparted info that there could be issues and that generally well engineered replacements are better.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sensing anger in this thread.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 AM

People into custom car have been cutting springs on their cars longer than most of us have been alive. Their are still cars being dropped safely that do not have over the counter springs to buy. If you cold cut the spring (cut off wheel, grinder) their is no change to the spring strength. If you heat the spring it may become brittle but from my experience the spring will get lower and lower over time, causing the alignment to go out more often and uneven ride higth. Any time you raise or lower a car you need to have it aligned. Shortining the spring will almost always make for a stiffer ride that goes for prefab spring to, they will not get more bouncy unless you bottom out on the shocks or bump stops (springs bounce...thats what they do....shocks slow the bounce). You can go to an auto part store and look up shock lengths (compressed length, size, etc) if you bottom out. Bottom line: its easier to get a premade pair of anything....weather they will be safer? most are made in china by someone who dosnt drive a car...is their a lot of design in making a spring? some good ones yes...the cheap ones, no! O ya ...if your a racer...get good ones. Me...Ill be a choppin like Ive done for the last 20 yrs. :D
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

let me just add, that I have about or over 80,000 miles on my cut stock springs as well.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 AM

My first Datsun 510 had over 100000 on cut spring...it and it never flipped over and killed me. The rice patrol never got me....I done think anyone ate rice back then. I got the finger from some bug guys. Guess thats kind of the same.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok here its my baby totally satisfied
Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks very nice.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 AM

looks good...some spacers in back would be a great finishing touch.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by carlitoselcool1
hey guys you can not be that negative people that i know have done it and it is not that bad i think i am going to do it on saturday. does cutting the spring will affect the aligment of the car??
It will affect the alignment as in the rear springs will fall out unless they are welded in. Seen it happen. The fronts may stay in for awhile before they move outta place. xA/xB springs don't take kindly to cutting period!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

springs on the back are wellded