Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Carbbon/kevlar brake pads installed... Sweet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Carbbon/kevlar brake pads installed... Sweet!!!

I just installed my new Porterfield Carbon/kevlar pads (R4S compound PN 822) this morning. They make a noticeable difference in stopping power and my previous experience with them has shown they create very little dust so I'm looking fwd to not scrubbing my wheels so often.

I wanted to do some real testing before and after against the stock brake pads but the roads are all wet this morning so it wouldn't work and I wanted to get them on.

I used up .040" of the stock pads in less than 4000mi. in less than 2 months. I'm pretty hard on brakes so the factory pads would have lasted only about a year and probably distroyed the rotors at the same time.

The R4S compound is Street/autoX and brakes very well when cold with great pedal feel and modulation. If you didn't know, the quickest braking is achieved just before the ABS kicks in, that's a fine line to reach. I have also found the R4S pads to be very rotor friendly.

How much $$? I paid about $75 for the set but I got a discount because I bought 2 other sets for my other cars, my mini van that has run them before and my BMW that can always use more brakes. I tried a set of Carbon/metalic (Rabestos, if I remember correctly) that cost the same but wore them out in a year and they ruined the rotors too. I'm not using them again!

A couple of tips if you install a set of these.... Have your rotors turned before you install them unless your car is very low mileage. Once installed, take a test drive and do 2-3 moderate stops, then let the pads/rotors cool completly. If you overcook the brakes on a new installation they may squeek a little when applied lightly.

Why would I replace my pads on a nearly new car? Well, I like to drive fairly agressively but more than that-my daughters drive the cars too. Many parents buy a VOLVO and turn their kids loose knowing that if they get in an accident they will likely survive. I take a different route to safety, I put my kids in cars that handle well, brake better than most and teach them to drive well so they can AVOID the accedents to start with.

ken
Old 01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do they ruin the rotor?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think there's too much metal,which is suppose to make them last longer,and eats the rotor
Old 01-24-2004, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess they're made for equally tough rotors..
Old 01-24-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you notice a difference in the amount of brake dust? the stock pads on scions leave a lot of brake dust.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My experience with these pads is great braking and very little dust.
ken
Old 01-25-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, thanks for the informative feed back, this is exactly the kind of experience and info I look for here in the forums... only thing now is to see if anyone other than c-one comes out with a set of braided brake lines, my experience with those in a mustang in combo with a good set of brake pads like these can make for awesome extended heavy driving (auto-x anyone??)
Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure that TRD has a braided brake line set.. at least there's one for the Echo/vitz.. though our chassis are slightly different platforms, I'd guess they'd probably be okay.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear lines are an easy fix. Speedway Motors sells -4 braided brake lines and the appropriate adapters to the existing hard lines. The front lines are a different story, they use Banjo fittings. I'm sure the company that made my hoses for the Mine Van can do them for much less than TRD. I just have to find the company info, I installed those hoses in spring of '99.... Hmmm, where did I leave that paperwork (I have moved 3 times since then!).
ken
Old 01-25-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Carbbon/kevlar brake pads installed... Sweet!!!

Originally Posted by kdanie
I take a different route to safety, I put my kids in cars that handle well, brake better than most and teach them to drive well so they can AVOID the accedents to start with.

ken
That's fine and all... But most acciddents aren't avoidable.... I don't care if you're Dale Jr or Gordon.... there is no braking or turning away from someone running a red light or a stop sign...
Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's true, when your numbers up, it's up. Karma and all that, but I feel you can influence that some by being proactive and alert. Heck, I survived a year diving in Puerto Rico with no accidents, over a dozen very close calls- but driving is a full contact sport down there! Good handling, great brakes, and abundant HP all help in collision avoidance. I have had one accident in 35 years of driving all over the western hemisphere (35 years ago!) and I don't spare the horses. There is a difference between driving fast and driving recklessly!

Here in north bay, I find myself saying "I'm surounded by DUMBASSES!!" as I drive down the 101.... Red Forman is my role model!!

ken