Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

which comes first? (pt2)strutbar or springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default which comes first? (pt2)strutbar or springs?

or strut bar and springs at the same time? im curious from those who have done both. im thinking maybee both at the same time since that back bolt is a pain. or is the spring install enough going on without worrying about a strut bar. or perhaps do i want to see how i like a lowered car before i go stiffening my handling? Stylis said the gasket around the struts is a pain to get off before you mount a strut bar, anyone have any tips or tricks?

I know a multifaceted question. Any opinions, personnal, public or otherwise appreciated

L.V.S.L.D. approaches! (las vegas scion lowering day) first ever.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: which comes first? (pt2)strutbar or springs?

Originally Posted by LVXB
Stylis said the gasket around the struts is a pain to get off before you mount a strut bar,

roger that.
that was a big pain the ___ for me. but i was kinda lazy and didnt jack up the car up very high.
so have fun with that.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In My Opinion, because i obviously know nothing about cars and their components, i would do springs first, an alignment next, then strutbar . but you know that is just me.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Easiest thing is to do them together. It is honestly not THAT hard to do either. That back bolt is a pain but not inmpossible or anything like that. And, even if you decide you don't like the lowered car, I would be willing to bet you would stil want the strut bar.

If you cannot afford to do both at the same time, springs will have much more effect than the bar and I would do springs first but whichever you can get your hands on...install.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I have lowered 6 xBs plus a bunch of other cars. And I installed strut bars on the xBs separate from the lowering jobs.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SPAWN
In My Opinion, because i obviously know nothing about cars and their components, i would do springs first, an alignment next, then strutbar . but you know that is just me.
well actually you dont have to do an allignment after lowering. i learned that on this board. since i dont know anything about cars i search and ask and read the many things availible here.
https://www.scionlife.com/tech/suspe...ginstall.shtml

otherwise its not a money issue. springs are happening regardless. but ive wanted a strut bar as well. actually i thought i would have gotten one by now butsince lvld approaches im wondering if efforts should be best condensed and made convient. as that back bolt has been made issue of.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

do em both at the same time. its a hell of a lot easuer to do the strut bar with 2 people because one can push the ends of the strut bar onto the bolts while the other person bends back the metal piece over the rear bolt. It took me about 40min by myself and 20 with someone else on their car
Old 01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

jack up the front of the car, unbolt the 3 strut mounting nuts on each side. With your foot, push down the tire. This will give you enough room to slide the bar over the studs. You should not have to bend anything to put a strut bar on! Its really easy. Im installing one this sunday at the TSW meet.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks everyone for yourposts.

isnt there some sort of gasket around the strut tower you need to take off before mounting the bar? stylis pointed it out to me but no one else has seemed to mention it.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

you have to jack up the car? son of a biotch...no wonder it was hard
Old 01-08-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVXB
thanks everyone for yourposts.

isnt there some sort of gasket around the strut tower you need to take off before mounting the bar? stylis pointed it out to me but no one else has seemed to mention it.
the "gasket" is actually a metal plate. again, it comes right off if u jack the car up first. Some strut bars (like the ones i build) still need the plate, some dont.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://www.southparkstudios.com/down...ndyreality.wav

thanks randy thats the answer i was looking for! Stylic has the JIC magic bar pretty sweet but i guess that one must require metal plate removal.